What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Those pinball stories (trollope)

darren_ross

Registered
So apparently the girlfriend got into a discussion with a customer at her work about pinball today. Basically she mentioned about having pinball machines at our house and he replies

"I used to play them years ago down the arcades, but this was back in the day of the Addams Family. The pinballs were alot smaller during multiball and they used to smash the glass because 'back then' they never had toughened glass"

She actually explained that the pinballs aren't smaller during the multiball and they did indeed have the same glass they use today. He of course wasn't having any of it and the balls we're definitely smaller ( only on multiball ) :rofl:

Anyway.. I've heard many different stories from highly imaginative people about pinball. What trollope have you been fed in the past?
Should be interesting :)

Had a friend who insisted he used to play Demolition Man all the time when he was at uni. Problem is he went in 1985...

Had another bloke who was insistent that the best game was the one based on Alien. When I suggested he was talking about Space Invaders he swore blind that I didn't know what I was talking about and it was 100% licenced from the Alien film. Guess I must have missed that one

Had a friend who insisted he used to play Demolition Man all the time when he was at uni. Problem is he went in 1985...

Had another bloke who was insistent that the best game was the one based on Alien. When I suggested he was talking about Space Invaders he swore blind that I didn't know what I was talking about and it was 100% licenced from the Alien film. Guess I must have missed that one

John, your mate isn't Marty Mcfly is he? You may not be giving him full credit.

same as john, i sold my fish tales a few years ago to a chap who used to play one at uni in 1988:hmm:

All machines play the same as each other

Nudging is cheating

Popeye is a great game ;)

I mentioned to an attendant/'technician' or maybe arcade owner in Weymouth that their Haunted House hadn't awarded a replay at the score shown on the card, and he replied "You set a new Highest Score, that's why. It waits to see if you do that before awarding a (scoring) replay".

Last edited:
I'd like to give the award to the guy who tried selling the NIB Hurricane for silly money, and when we all tried to explain to him that it simply wasn't worth that much due to what game it was, he got all defensive and didn't understand why a Hurricane wasn't worth the same as a Medieval Madness.

" don't try to tell me anything about pinball.. in the last 10 years I have had 20 of them!" well done. Ive bought twice that many in one go matey

"all the sounds from T2 are digitised from the movie" really? game was designed with very limited information and certainly not the soundtrack. and where in the film does Arnie say "extra ball" or "get the super jackpot"

I got this email on Sunday from an eBay muppet regarding my Fishtales.

Sadly you have all got greedy and nothing sells now in these older pins at these crazy amounts You must of seen that I watch these daily it s all got silly Fish tails is a good pin as well but these sold around £1100 ok now people are just sitting on them as people who remember pinballs get older and they are not selling st all I ve had around fifteen pins in my time kind regards tim

Nice one Tim. Thanks for that :thumbs:

To which I replied

Hi Tim
The only sad thing here is the fact you decided to share your opinion.
I know all to well the value of pinball machines having owned twice as many as you

Prices are inflated on eBay to counter extortionate fees and invite offers out of eBay. I know it's not worth that. But a premium will always be paid for a re decaled machine. As an enthusiast I'm sure you're a member here www.pinballinfo.com where pins are way cheaper and mine is also advertised way cheaper.

Kind regards

I got this email on Sunday from an eBay muppet regarding my Fishtales.

Sadly you have all got greedy and nothing sells now in these older pins at these crazy amounts You must of seen that I watch these daily it s all got silly Fish tails is a good pin as well but these sold around £1100 ok now people are just sitting on them as people who remember pinballs get older and they are not selling st all I ve had around fifteen pins in my time kind regards tim

Nice one Tim. Thanks for that :thumbs:

i2.kym_cdn.com_photos_images_original_000_430_877_271.gif

I love the some of this.
  • He assumes you are as anal as he is and that you check who watches your auctions daily. I know of nobody that does this.
  • Apparently we are all greedy.
  • We all have a secret stash of Fish Tales (I know I have at least 5 in my secret lockup!)
  • He assumes everyone who remembers Pinball is old, excuse me for being 24 and loving pins. It's not just for you old folk :cool:
I'm waiting for him to sign up here and see this haha.

Last edited:
To which I replied

Hi Tim
The only sad thing here is the fact you decided to share your opinion.
I know all to well the value of pinball machines having owned twice as many as you

Prices are inflated on eBay to counter extortionate fees and invite offers out of eBay. I know it's not worth that. But a premium will always be paid for a re decaled machine. As an enthusiast I'm sure you're a member here www.pinballinfo.com where pins are way cheaper and mine is also advertised way cheaper.

Kind regards

Didn't you add "PS - Its Fish TALES, muppet!
Fish-tails is what a rear wheel drive car does with too much throttle on a wet road"?

I'd like to give the award to the guy who tried selling the NIB Hurricane for silly money, and when we all tried to explain to him that it simply wasn't worth that much due to what game it was, he got all defensive and didn't understand why a Hurricane wasn't worth the same as a Medieval Madness.
It has to be said though, that for all of the doubters on here (and Pinside)thinking it was a scam, it was in fact a genuine unopened NIB Whirlwind which sold to the Dutch Pinball Museum (I believe for around £4k). Pinball News had an article on it.
He didn't get the 7k he was asking for, but how many people nowadays get their initial asking price? People usually set a high asking price expecting to be negotiated down, or to cover fees. It also didn't help that English wasn't his native language, nor that he only just signed up to the site.

Back
Top Bottom