What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is a scam, right?

kevlar

Site Supporter
Alias
Kevin Donovan
I don't normally use Gumtree but yesterday I put my X-men up for sale on there. After a text and an email response from me I got this...
" Laura Brown
to me
mail.google.com_mail_u_0_images_cleardot.gif

Thanks for your response,

I want you to consider this a deal as i am willing to pay your full asking price! i actually want to buy it for a family member who is urgently in need of it, i have checked through your posting and i'm fully satisfied with it.

Unfortunately, i would not be able to come personally to view/collect, i work offshore as an instructor on a oil rig so i don't have time at all, but like i said i am 100% OK with the advert.

However, I will pay you via PayPal once you are ready and send my courier agent to collect after you have fully received your money as that is the only means of payment available to me at the moment. I would also appreciate if you could remove the advert asap.

I will contact the courier agent now so please get back to me with a suitable collection time. "

Obviously its a scam, I was just wondering how it would work though? Do they hope you are going to let it go before payment clears or what?

I feel terrible not selling to them as they need it so urgently :rofl:, and they sound so trusting being stuck on that oil rig :rolleyes:.

ssl.gstatic.com_ui_v1_icons_mail_images_cleardot.gif

Presume hoping they get the game via their dodgy courier then Paypal charge back?

The generic tone and kiss your ars* manner gives it away completely. When will they learn? Suppose it's a bonus they don't, so they can be spotted.

The usual variation is to say that they have paid you by paypal but paypal can't release the funds to you until you pay the shipper or agent via western union as they are at sea and cant get to a western union office (even though you can pay western union online). They have added this fee to your payment that you will get once you have paid the shipper. Etc Etc.

I dunno if it ain't scammers it's bloody insulting hagglers! I remember when I was selling my tz had it on the fb group for £3500 and some cheeky ****e said to me all I've got is a grand will you take it? REALLY?! Asshat

I dunno if it ain't scammers it's bloody insulting hagglers! I remember when I was selling my tz had it on the fb group for £3500 and some cheeky ****e said to me all I've got is a grand will you take it? REALLY?! Asshat
No it's not a scam. Give me £500 and I'll explain why! :rofl:

Reactions: ski
As I understand it, if folk pay by PayPal you to run the risk of a charge back. ie they claim the goods were defective. PayPal then refunds the money

Always sell for cash, unless you know them

When you send money on PayPal, can you do that pay weeks later thing like eBay?

Buy expensive things and then close the bank account?

Does sound moody anyway. I'd ask if she knows any Nigerian princes that can back up her story.

They send a nice email to gain some trust, you then get the email a hour before he has arranged collection which looks likes its from PayPal telling you "You have Funds"
It has the correct email and everything looks 100% like its from PayPal, but when you check your PayPal nothing is in there.

Say that unfortunately you can't accept paypal but they can pay via Western Union. Then tell them that you aren't at the location advertised and it's your uncle's machine. They'll then spend a while trying to work out which of their scammer mates is advertising the pin;)

I've got a weird scammer going on at the moment. I've become addicted to "songpop" where you send snippets of songs to opponents and they have to guess the artist before you do. One of my opponents is a hot early 20s Asian girl (judging by her photo). Anyway her music tastes are almost exactly the same as mine, which pretty much excludes anyone under the age of 40. I suspect the idea is to get me to make contact and then try to get me to send cash on the basis that I would now trust "her". Net result for the last 6 months some poor fat middle aged Nigerian scammer has had to learn a wide range of 80s thrash metal and Goth songs. The poor ****er now has the ability to tell the difference between Deicide and Testament within 2 seconds of hearing a song. :eek: Their knowledge of obscure 70s punk bands is also now quite outstanding.......

Last edited:
Say that unfortunately you can't accept paypal but they can pay via Western Union. Then tell them that you aren't at the location advertised and it's your uncle's machine. They'll then spend a while trying to work out which of their scammer mates is advertising the pin;)

I've got a weird scammer going on at the moment. I've become addicted to "songpop" where you send snippets of songs to opponents and they have to guess the artist before you do. One of my opponents is a hot early 20s Asian girl (judging by her photo). Anyway her music tastes are almost exactly the same as mine, which pretty much excludes anyone under the age of 40. I suspect the idea is to get me to make contact and then try to get me to send cash on the basis that I would now trust "her". Net result for the last 6 months some poor fat middle aged Nigerian scammer has had to learn a wide range of 80s thrash metal and Goth songs. The poor ****er now has the ability to tell the difference between Deicide and Testament within 2 seconds of hearing a song. :eek: There knowledge of obscure 70s punk bands is also now quite outstanding.......
That's amazing mate!! :rofl::rofl:

Funny you mention Deicide, haven't thought or heard of them in over a decade yet only on Sunday my missus was cooking whilst listening to some hipster sh1te on her Amazon echo so I asked Alexa to play Deicide, you can imagine how long that lasted!

Presume hoping they get the game via their dodgy courier then Paypal charge back?

The generic tone and kiss your ars* manner gives it away completely. When will they learn? Suppose it's a bonus they don't, so they can be spotted.
It's a scam mate, had the same on a mini I sold a few years ago but they worked on a raf battleship. Keep well clear

Had a call from a courier saying he was due to pick up a pinball from me. I had just sold a games machine, so assumed he was a bit muddled. He said "yeah, that's it"
Thinking it was dodgy, I phoned the buyer who said "sorry, been busy and haven't booked a courier yet..."
Very odd.

Cash on collection or sod off. Buyer avoids hassles with any issues with the item when they see it in person, seller can sell in confidence that the cash doesn't have a fishing line attached to have it yanked back, nor will they lose a piece to PayPal. All for the low exchange of buyer having to go visit, and seller having to deal with potentially being haggled with.

It's the only way to deal with items of sizable cash! I'm frankly amazed that anyone accepts PayPal as a seller, it is so laden with buyer-sided crap!

Scam............ Wife's dad was once selling a motorbike and got something like the same reply from a guy in Ireland.... Can you send and I'll pay by paypal... Yeah OK pal....

Reminds me of another niche hobby site for selling things, the UK Karting site has a for sale section which was constantly targetted by scammers with the same sort of scam messages in response to any for sale ad's that would be placed on there. Western Union accounts were often mentioned along with offshore shipping and other obvious warning signs.

have a look at ( 419 eaters ) its a website full of guys stringing along scammers some great stories on there

Package them up an empty box with a Turd in the middle !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years back someone was selling a MM on the old pinball group. This was at the peak of MMs popularity and they were getting snapped up within minutes. I got in first and agreed the price. The seller wanted paying that night, in full, via bank transfer without me seeing detailed pics of the game. I called bull**** and called him a scammer.

Turned out he wasn't and someone else picked up the game then next day :(

Back
Top Bottom