What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This game owes me........

There's also the perception that buying pins is an "investment", because people have heard about the massive price rises in the last 10 years, they want some of the same, despite that bubble having burst.
Interesting that no one picked up on Wayne's comment above. Sadly I think the bubble is far from burst at the moment. Someone buying B list games last year or in 2015 for £1200 is looking at £1800+ for the same titles this year. That's a pretty bloody good investment if that's the type of thing that floats your boat. DE prices have gone loopy. I suspect SEGA's will shoot up next.

I see games staying unsold at unrealistically high prices on ebay but no real evidence of prices falling. Even if you overpay for a game there is a massive incentive just to sit on it unless you need the cash and/or space and see if goes up over time. A further reduction in supply makes price rises a self fulfilling prophecy.

Maybe if there is a surge in the value of the pound and NIB prices tumble there will be a corresponding fall in the 2nd hand market.

I'm really surprised that the eye watering prices don't put more people off getting involved. I remember first looking at games when an IJ etc would be £750 and thinking "how do people justify that?". Little did I know...

Well I was jokingly referring to the fact I had a garage full of classic ferraris. I don't btw

Oh I see ! I wasn't referring to that comment - my point was that whether it is a classic car or pinball machine, they shouldn't be seen as investments, they should just be enjoyed as a hobby.

I get the 'what's it worth' threads on the forum - I've used them - but when they are seen as investments over and above them being pinball machines then the plot has been lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May be i should post in the neighbours from hell thread

I think the fact that they can be seen as investments is the very thing that allows enthusiasts to become owners. It's a hell of a lot easier to justify to the wife spending that sort of money on what is basically a gigantic toy when you can show that they aren't a waste of money and do make some financial sense. Unlike classic cars which, whatever you buy, are a massive massive money pit. Been there, done that, never again.

I think the fact that they can be seen as investments is the very thing that allows enthusiasts to become owners. It's a hell of a lot easier to justify to the wife spending that sort of money on what is basically a gigantic toy when you can show that they aren't a waste of money and do make some financial sense. Unlike classic cars which, whatever you buy, are a massive massive money pit. Been there, done that, never again.

Agree, owned many a TVR, lost money, and cost a load to keep going!

Agree, owned many a TVR, lost money, and cost a load to keep going!

Many classic cars can be money pits but TVRs have a reputation for being the worst.

Is there a pinball machine equivalent ? STTNG maybe ?

Many classic cars can be money pits but TVRs have a reputation for being the worst.

Is there a pinball machine equivalent ? STTNG maybe ?

Most of my cars have cost me a bomb,,,,, might be my driving, but had 3 engines go bang in last 10 years..... TVR, Noble & my Landy!

TVR pins..... I have a BDK that just keeps getting faults, currently blows the main breaker in the house, not just the local rcd breaker

You've got a common theme there (which I had too): British 'craftmanship' combined with composite or alluminium bodywork designed to cause endless earthing problems. Had a Series 2a landy for 12 years...never drove it. Not even once.

Interesting that no one picked up on Wayne's comment above. Sadly I think the bubble is far from burst at the moment. Someone buying B list games last year or in 2015 for £1200 is looking at £1800+ for the same titles this year. That's a pretty bloody good investment if that's the type of thing that floats your boat. DE prices have gone loopy. I suspect SEGA's will shoot up next.

I see games staying unsold at unrealistically high prices on ebay but no real evidence of prices falling. Even if you overpay for a game there is a massive incentive just to sit on it unless you need the cash and/or space and see if goes up over time. A further reduction in supply makes price rises a self fulfilling prophecy.

Maybe if there is a surge in the value of the pound and NIB prices tumble there will be a corresponding fall in the 2nd hand market.

I'm really surprised that the eye watering prices don't put more people off getting involved. I remember first looking at games when an IJ etc would be £750 and thinking "how do people justify that?". Little did I know...
Indeed.

2 years ago I put my Fish Tales on here for 900. Now it would seem 1600-1800 has become the asking price!?!

I fear it's not long until the 2k asking price is breached for even 'just average' condition B titles :(

Truly crazy the speed of pinflation

i have had classic cars for over 30 years just like the pinball's i only buy what i can afford at the time
i will use them until i get bored and fancy something else trade up and down as my finances allow
but always buy another, When times are good you get more for your last car but have to pay more for another
but if values go down your next car will be cheaper as well its a hobby and more fun than gambling your money away in a betting shop

Something is only worth what someone will buy it for. Simple as.
Exactly.

I mean, how much would you pay for a blue canvas with a white stripe in the middle? If I wanted it, maybe £1000.....

Hasn't even been cut in properly;)

It actually sold for $43 million :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:43.jpg

Exactly.

I mean, how much would you pay for a blue canvas with a white stripe in the middle? If I wanted it, maybe £1000.....

Hasn't even been cut in properly;)

It actually sold for $43 million :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:View attachment 47606

Ah, but it takes a genius to come up with a concept plus a load of idiotic art critics to big it up as something more than it really is!

I think it was last year that someone was selling artwork, and not cheap either, that their horse had done...

PS....you know art is bollox when critics talk about invisible art. Personally I wouldn't buy it as insurance would clearly be an issue...let alone the moronic twqt you would like like when showing it to guests.....or trying to find out which wall to put it on.....

It would be cheaper to just put a white line down the middle of your wall. That way you don't have to buy a canvas and everyone has a bit of white paint knocking around....otherwise it would be going to B&Q for the blue paint which is always a ball ache[/QUOTE]

It would be cheaper to just put a white line down the middle of your wall. That way you don't have to buy a canvas and everyone has a bit of white paint knocking around....otherwise it would be going to B&Q for the blue paint which is always a ball ache
[/QUOTE]
What if your wall is already white?

What if your wall is already white?[/QUOTE]
Print out a number of coloured sheets and blu-tac onto wall,mor a strip of duct tape

Ah, but it takes a genius to come up with a concept plus a load of idiotic art critics to big it up as something more than it really is!

I think it was last year that someone was selling artwork, and not cheap either, that their horse had done...

Maybe an animal artist could cut damien hirst in half...

PS....you know art is bollox when critics talk about invisible art. Personally I wouldn't buy it as insurance would clearly be an issue...let alone the moronic twqt you would like like when showing it to guests.....or trying to find out which wall to put it on.....
Or which way up to hang it. That's if you could get it indoors, of course. And if it was large enough, you'd need planning permission, as with 'the critics' from Viz, who were also sued by the composer of that 'work' consisting of over 6 minutes total silence

I went to see Tracey Emmins bed - I was all ready to do the middle aged man rant on modern art but it was actually quite cool.
My son made me proud that day - he managed to convince a fellow member of the public that the nearby fire extinguisher was 'part of the installation'

I went to see Tracey Emmins bed - I was all ready to do the middle aged man rant on modern art but it was actually quite cool.
My son made me proud that day - he managed to convince a fellow member of the public that the nearby fire extinguisher was 'part of the installation'

Watch out that TE doesn't update the piece and call it "smoking in bed", which could be read in different ways

Back
Top Bottom