What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Theatre Of Magic

TeaPea

Site Supporter
So I got this TOM delivered last week, it's in really nice condition, but looks like it hasn't had a lot of love for a while.

Never attempted to do this before so could do with a bit of moral support ;)

The cabinet is in amazing condition for the age of the machine and there's relatively little wear to the play field, however the plastics are all faded and yellow and the rubbers completely had it.
Images below, I have taken the ramps off and stripped it down a little,
My thoughts are;
- New rubbers
- Buy new plastics and ramps unless they can be restored, but my guess is they're too far gone for novus? and flame polishing maybe a bit beyond my skills!
- LED conversion with OCD boards
- Mirror blades
- Give the play field a really good clean
- Rebuild flippers and replace coil maybe? And the buttons on the side of the cab
- Clean up as many bolts as i can, maybe need a metal tumbler
- Clean wire forms as much as possible

Anyone got any other suggestions?

IMG_7323.jpg IMG_7326.jpg IMG_7313.jpg IMG_7321.jpg IMG_7324.jpg IMG_7325.jpg

Start cleaning it. I don't strip the entire playfield - reserve an afternoon to start from the bottom of the playfield. Remove apron, clean and replace, remove slingshots, clean and replace etc. This way you'll get to know the machine along the way. Once you're half way up the machine you will be removing ramps but it will be a machine you know better.
Make a note of bits that need replacing along the way.
I enjoy this as much, if not more, than playing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do it by hand less likely to burn through the clear

What's wrong with the ramp looks fine to me nowt a clean won't fix. Give all the plastics and ramps a soak in oxy then clean with novis and acess after

i'm using LEDs without OCD and they are fine (comet).

be careful with the motor for the trunk its rare as are the metal ramps.

also worth replacing the trunk interrupter with metal one and the LED color Dmd rocks. i'm also going all gold on mine. there is also an updated trunk board that prevents an error on trunk moving.

i have tiger saw motor to go in, LED mirror and clock mod.

Neil.

Thanks for the pointers guys!
Are you getting the parts gold plated or buying gold looking parts Neil?

This one has the Tiger saw mod so that's good as I wanted that :)

oh and on the LEDs, dual wire ones are good on the inserts to spread the light.

Thanks for the pointers guys!
Are you getting the parts gold plated or buying gold looking parts Neil?

This one has the Tiger saw mod so that's good as I wanted that :)

what rom are you running?

i bought the parts as most of the ones on the machine were not great.

No idea what ROM it's running will have to check that, the tiger saw was definitely working though before I took it out :D.

Didn't realise you could get them parts in gold off the shelf, can you get them in the UK or did you import them?

I'm going to add a colour DMD the LED one yeh I love a colour DMD.

Was going to go with the silicon type white rubbers, but seen some purple ones online might look cool,

+1 silicon clear and purple flipper rubbers.

I was in the US and got them all local so avoided stupid shipping costs and vat!

but got a couple of bits from pinball.center (see below) and got the blades from pinball dreams. Just waiting on side rails coming in from the US as nobody had any.

image_63750_1_484x484.jpg

on the rom there are two versions- 1.3 runs it in a specific way and 1.4 more fully, but 1.4 has a rare bug in it with multiball so just wanted to see if anyone was running that and if they have hit that bug.

ah yeh I saw them on pinball.center.
Might skip the gold trim for now as don't fancy paying import duty etc.
Will check out the roms once I can.

You won't get hit for duty from pinball.center but I got a lot of the parts from pinball playing in the US as pinball.center didnt have everything I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom