What's new

Theatre of Magic - pop bumper locked solid.

Juggler Spencer

Site Supporter
Hi,
ToM blew fuse F105 on power up., so I did a quick investigation and unplugged J107, now the fuse is OK On power up.
With power off, I had a look under the field and two of the pop bumper solanoids are moveing fine but the other is locked rigid.
Is this a burnt out pop bumper solanoid?
Is it likely to cause the fuse issue?
Is it likely to have trashed anything else?

Does the coil wrapper look discoloured/burnt? that’s usually a sign the coil has been on too long and overheated. that’s when the inside former and sleeve can deform.

If it’s locked solid with power off remove the coil from the pop bumper bracket and you’ll quickly tell if the coils fried. Another clue will be the coil sleeve won’t just slide out easily if it’s over heated and melted.
If you can free it up enough, power back up and see if the coil actuates the plunger straight away and stays on - if it does then it sounds like a transistor on the board might have failed. The manual will tell you what one to check which you can do with a multi meter (albeit sometimes they show as fine when they’ve failed and vice versa) and they are easy enough to change if you have some soldering skills.

Most likely a transistor died and locked the coil
On which melted seizing up the mech before the fuse blew

New coil, diode and board repair probably
Yeah, looks that way. Coil is melted inside. Looks like transistor failure alright.

Your timing is shocking mate, I was coming down to film Theater tomorrow 😂

I'll second the above post from Replicas. . . . Jim will do an excellent job on the board mate

Back
Top Bottom