What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted The Who's Tommy

Just Love Pinball

Registered
Hi everyone! I'm new to posting on here but after some advice / opinions.
I fancy a Tommy pinball in good, or very good condition. So anyone selling?
Do you know of any recent sales to guide me on price please? 5 to 6k seems high, but is 3k unrealistic? I think 4700 were produced so does that make this a reasonably common find over here or do most remain in the USA if that's where they were made? Thanks for your help!
Geoff

You just missed out on one. A few days earlier and you may have been in with a chance. I haven't seen too many for sale on here but then again I've only on the forum since February. Tommy does seem to be one of Data East's more desirable titles.

Good luck with your search.

No Data East is worth over 4k imo, just sold my Guns n Roses for less with colour dmd and pin sound, and I believe that is the most sought after DE.

Would have guessed Tommy is 2k-3k depending on condition. (ie project - mint).

“One mans meat blah blah blah”
If it’s your 1st pin go and sample some
Pins before committing!
If tommy is your be all and end all theme then so be it you’re getting the right pin.
BUT, And it’s big Butt! If it is on a whim then personally there’s a lot put out there far better for a far less.
My 2 penneth for what it’s worth.
Either way it’s a great hobby and welcome to the fold we are friendly and helpful bunch of nice guys (mostly)

“One mans meat blah blah blah”
If it’s your 1st pin go and sample some
Pins before committing!
If tommy is your be all and end all theme then so be it you’re getting the right pin.
BUT, And it’s big Butt! If it is on a whim then personally there’s a lot put out there far better for a far less.
My 2 penneth for what it’s worth.
Either way it’s a great hobby and welcome to the fold we are friendly and helpful bunch of nice guys (mostly)
Thanks very much! Yes, it is a whim! Only started looking around 2 days ago. I already own 11 pins but haven't looked for another for ages as out of space.
I don't have experience of Data East machines. Did they have poor electronics, mechanisms, or another general floor?
I have seen 2 Tommy's on the internet for sale in excess of 5K. I have no idea of going rate, but do appreciate it's all subjective depending on how much you want something. I have never seen or played this pin, but it looks good in Youtube videos. I like the theme, and it scores well in general on the IPDB so.. maybe taking the plunge :)
Thanks for your help and advice!

Thanks very much! Yes, it is a whim! Only started looking around 2 days ago. I already own 11 pins but haven't looked for another for ages as out of space.
I don't have experience of Data East machines. Did they have poor electronics, mechanisms, or another general floor?
I have seen 2 Tommy's on the internet for sale in excess of 5K. I have no idea of going rate, but do appreciate it's all subjective depending on how much you want something. I have never seen or played this pin, but it looks good in Youtube videos. I like the theme, and it scores well in general on the IPDB so.. maybe taking the plunge :)
Thanks for your help and advice!
I’m never gonna knock a game as hey “it’s a pinball table”
Put a wanted ad here and be patient as all comes to he who waits and for me personally 2k would be my limit maybe 3 for a nice one and sky’s the limit for collector one in super minty condition.
Remember we have a trade/swap option here that sometimes gets you where you wanna be without a hole in your lineup.
Best of both world if you got something gathering dust.

I’m never gonna knock a game as hey “it’s a pinball table”
Put a wanted ad here and be patient as all comes to he who waits and for me personally 2k would be my limit maybe 3 for a nice one and sky’s the limit for collector one in super minty condition.
Remember we have a trade/swap option here that sometimes gets you where you wanna be without a hole in your lineup.
Best of both world if you got something gathering dust.
I have never perfected the art of selling a machine. I can't part with any of them! I love them all :)

I have never perfected the art of selling a machine. I can't part with any of them! I love them all :)
And that my friend is the way it should be in an ideal world.
Unfortunately both Time, Space & money are the 3 main factors why most of us here are not sitting in your boat.
For me it’s all of them as I have neither the:
Space (currently 7 pins and room for 5)
Money (spent it all on my grail lineup)
Time (more than 5 and it seems a 24/7 job keeping them maintained)
However I’m looking for a Rich Wife with a Big House and previous job was a pin-monkey.
One can only dream, but “never say never” should be your motto.
That’s the phrase often rolled into the word “It’s a keeper” on here lol

Hi everyone! I'm new to posting on here but after some advice / opinions.
I fancy a Tommy pinball in good, or very good condition. So anyone selling?
Do you know of any recent sales to guide me on price please? 5 to 6k seems high, but is 3k unrealistic? I think 4700 were produced so does that make this a reasonably common find over here or do most remain in the USA if that's where they were made? Thanks for your help!
Geoff

Welcome Geoff, one sold very recently for just over 2 grand mate. I believe it needed new rubbers & balls but that might help with pricing.

Jukebox 45, Liberty, and Home Leisure all have machines for between 5.5K and 6.5K.
Are they likely to be proportionally much better? Seems very expensive, however I have never brought a used or restored machine from a company, so maybe 'restored' or 'Shopped' really sets them in a different league? I appreciate they do offer a guarantee.
One thing I noticed - even at this high price, not all come with the Pinball 'Topper' that was standard? Another is priced in this region with LED's being an additional £300 odd option..

Last edited:
Jukebox 45, Liberty, and Home Leisure all have machines for between 5.5K and 6.5K.
Are they likely to be proportionally much better? Seems very expensive, however I have never brought a used or restored machine from a company, so maybe 'restored' or 'Shopped' really sets them in a different league? I appreciate they do offer a guarantee.
One thing I noticed - even at this high price, not all come with the Pinball 'Topper' that was standard? Another is priced in this region with LED's being an additional £300 odd option..

I almost purchased a LOTR from one of the above mentioned companies.

I'm a relative newbie on here too Geoff but from what I can tell a 'loved' machine from a member on the forum will be in better nick than a 'reconditioned' offering from the above companies. From what I can see on this forum people take good care of their pins which certainly supersedes any of these spurious '260 point check' claims from the big sellers.

The advice above about posting a wanted thread is good mate.

I almost purchased a LOTR from one of the above mentioned companies.

I'm a relative newbie on here too Geoff but from what I can tell a 'loved' machine from a member on the forum will be in better nick than a 'reconditioned' offering from the above companies. From what I can see on this forum people take good care of their pins which certainly supersedes any of these spurious '260 point check' claims from the big sellers.

The advice above about posting a wanted thread is good mate.
Thanks very much, all advice and opinions greatly received.
Yes I think I've created a 'Wanted' add and this will stay shown for a while so hopefully something will come up, unless there's a different way of making such an add. New to this! :)
Seems like a real good community on here, though one of the first posts I read yesterday related to someone buying machines overseas and it got pretty heated.

Thanks very much, all advice and opinions greatly received.
Yes I think I've created a 'Wanted' add and this will stay shown for a while so hopefully something will come up, unless there's a different way of making such an add. New to this! :)
Seems like a real good community on here, though one of the first posts I read yesterday related to someone buying machines overseas and it got pretty heated.

I must have missed that . . . . I was in Bournemouth watching West Ham and playing poorly maintained pinballs on the pier arcade.

Some very nice people on here though. I've yet to meet any of them but they are more than happy to help no matter how small the query.

Some very nice people on here though. I've yet to meet any of them but they are more than happy to help no matter how small the query.
I brought a Scared Stiff machine from Julian in Bromley. Nice guy, terrific machine. Great condition and many upgrades. After seeing his collection I ended up getting AC DC too!

Don't expect them pins to be any better than the ones on here. At least one of them companies has been known to buy pins off here and list them shortly after for hugely inflated prices, without adding anything to them. As for the warranty, well the money you save buying on here will easily pay for any repairs that need doing in the future. And buying from here at reasonable prices means there is less risk of losing much you when you fancy a change and need to sell.
Some pins came out new with toppers, for example Fish Tales, White Water, Addams Family, but quite a lot never had them. Sometimes operators removed the toppers to fit in pubs and never replaced them, it's easy enough to find out which ones should have toppers just ask on here.
£300 seems steep for LEDs, it's a personal preference thing anyway, you're better off getting a nut spinner and buying your own, a good learning experience too.

£300 seems steep for LEDs, it's a personal preference thing anyway, you're better off getting a nut spinner and buying your own, a good learning experience too.
Thanks for your reply! Yes I think the exact figure was Plus £349 for LED's ! On a machine already £5,500 !
Yes adding LED's yourself is fun and satisfying :)

Back
Top Bottom