What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Today I received" Thread

See? I just knew there'd be an onslaught of derogatory comments ;) Seller is a member of IEEE and just seems to be selling a few electronic bits and bobs, rather than shifting shed loads of stuff. You can see in the photo they ain't that shiny - kicking around in someone's kit I reckon. I'll pop them on the ESR meter. If they've been re-sleeved then they've been re-pinned too as absolutely no sign of having been soldered.

AC/DC premium arrived yesterday, first impressions, playfield artwork is a mess, right outlane obscured by canon? why? and after playing I don't know what all the fuss is about, SDTM drain monster off the bell, songs get repetitive (heard these track all my life so my quota is already used up) wanted to try this out because of all the hype, what am I missing apart from 5k?

AC/DC premium arrived yesterday, first impressions, playfield artwork is a mess, right outlane obscured by canon? why? and after playing I don't know what all the fuss is about, SDTM drain monster off the bell, songs get repetitive (heard these track all my life so my quota is already used up) wanted to try this out because of all the hype, what am I missing apart from 5k?
How did you spend £5k on something you weren't totally convinced was going to brilliant? But that aside, I agree with your analysis. I'm not averse to a bit of AC/DC but I don't understand what all the fuss with this game is either? But then I've never been taken with any Stern games of this era (possible recent exceptions are TRON and STAR TREK). I played IRON MAN over the weekend and it's just so dull. Why on earth is it being re-made? How can there be so much demand for a game that boring?

Ooh, looky what just landed on the door mat all the way from sunny Los Angeles, California...

farm3.staticflickr.com_2943_15214006757_890b3eec85_c.jpg

And inside...

farm4.staticflickr.com_3900_15397342171_1e873ee081_c.jpg

My lovely new crisp GOLD BALL manual! Very good condition, no curly or finger prints. And the schematics are readable! WOOHOO!!! :D

farm4.staticflickr.com_3893_15213925078_cfe5db59e5_c.jpg

Purchased to mod so it's work related but all those great UK players can't be wrong, Stormy rates it as the best game ever, Modman Stan another great player also gives it top marks, maybe you have to be that dialled in to really make this game sing and also get a handle on the rules, to someone who does not have the skills and the inclination to absorb the rules it is just another pin, agree with you on the Stern comment, I have yet to play a Stern that makes me want to keep it, WH20 rates above any Stern for me and WH20 is just an average Bally Wms.

I have yet to play a Stern that makes me want to keep it
you've been into this hobby for way longer than me, so i'm sure you know what you're talking about, but have you put any time on the Stern titles coming out on top of your 'top 5 Sterns' thread? i can't understand how anyone can not enjoy Lord of The Rings, or Spiderman.

Owned SM, liked it but do not miss it, same goes for BDK owned and sold pretty sharpish, played LOTR a lot, like it, that would be a keeper I think, also played, Family Guy, borefest and Ripleys, that would last less than a week I think, AC/DC starting to grow on me, it does get quite intense which I like, not played any of the others, IM, XMEN, TRON, ST, AVENGERS, TRANSFORMERS etc etc so may find a jewel there.

Doesn't click with me one bit, and I have tried , really I have. For me the ruleset seems needlessly convoluted, and yes I have had ACDC heads 'explain' it to me but seriously they shouldnt have to ! I know pinball, I have played nearly every 90s/00s/10s games going, it shouldn't be this difficult to get yr head around.

I think the main reason I don't care for it is the lack of objective that I can give a sh*t about...beyond scoring big points for X, Y or Z mode or multiplier or whatever. And this I think is why the good players/tourney whores hose themselves about it ....because its all about points strategies. But I don't care for that ...I want a game where I'm battling something, rescuing someone,blowing something up, working to a goal etc...not just playing some songs and worrying about the points.

Plus its a Steve Ritchie game - so nobody will say a bad word about it :rolleyes:

Always bear in mind I love Popeye and Baywatch though :cuckoo:

The Searg has spoken, hail the Searg, think you have nailed it there, I have also played a lot of pinball and owned/own plenty, we can all get to wizard mode on so many games without anyone saying boo, so why do you need a seasoned pinhead to tell you how to play this machine? answer is you shouldn't, maybe they have missed the target audience apart from AC/DC fans and committed tournament players, I just like how a game makes me feel and the shots, this machine so far does not shine as bright as expected from that perspective but maybe it will, could do with some Duran Duran on it though ;)

Doesn't click with me one bit, and I have tried , really I have. For me the ruleset seems needlessly convoluted, and yes I have had ACDC heads 'explain' it to me but seriously they shouldnt have to ! I know pinball, I have played nearly every 90s/00s/10s games going, it shouldn't be this difficult to get yr head around.

I think the main reason I don't care for it is the lack of objective that I can give a sh*t about...beyond scoring big points for X, Y or Z mode or multiplier or whatever. And this I think is why the good players/tourney whores hose themselves about it ....because its all about points strategies. But I don't care for that ...I want a game where I'm battling something, rescuing someone,blowing something up, working to a goal etc...not just playing some songs and worrying about the points.

Plus its a Steve Ritchie game - so nobody will say a bad word about it :rolleyes:

Always bear in mind I love Popeye and Baywatch though :cuckoo:
+1

Yup, Poi has done it to his Metallica, Music from a Jilted Generation rocks, think I would stick with the AC/DC on the machine but change some of the tracks , If you want blood, Walk all over you, Who made Who, Love hungry man, Rock'n'Roll damnation, Let's get it up etc.

A big box of Bally boards in various states of uncertainly and disrepair:

6 x MPU
3 x SOLENOID/REGULATOR
4 x LAMP DRIVER
1 x AUX LAMP DRIVER
1 x SOUND
1 x MPU Corrosion Repair Kit
1 x ROTTENDOG RECTIFIER
1 x ROTTENDOG LAMP DRIVER
1 x Williams board

If the Williams board is of any use to anyone drop me a PM.

Happy days :D

Bally Boards 002.JPG

Off eBay i take it? I forgot about these :(
What Williams board is it?

No, this was from a member on the Yahoo! UKPinball mailing list. They were selling a PARAGON backglass (still are) but it was about the same condition as the one I've already got. But then he mentioned an assortment of boards, originally containing for System 80 bits I think but eventually boiled down to all Bally other than the Williams you can see.

I've no idea what the Wiliams board is? It's very dusty. It's had a bit of rework as there is a row of components missing - looks like a row of SCRs or similar. I'll clean it up a bit and try to find an ID code or model number...

I received a call from the highwayman,saying he is doing his best to make it to NLP:)
Mentioned new lockbar style mech,after taking the points at the party on board from people.Has new cab and other bits too

A big box of Bally boards in various states of uncertainly and disrepair:

6 x MPU
3 x SOLENOID/REGULATOR
4 x LAMP DRIVER
1 x AUX LAMP DRIVER
1 x SOUND
1 x MPU Corrosion Repair Kit
1 x ROTTENDOG RECTIFIER
1 x ROTTENDOG LAMP DRIVER
1 x Williams board

If the Williams board is of any use to anyone drop me a PM.

Happy days :D

View attachment 10992

wanna sell a lamp driver board?

Yup, Poi has done it to his Metallica, Music from a Jilted Generation rocks, think I would stick with the AC/DC on the machine but change some of the tracks , If you want blood, Walk all over you, Who made Who, Love hungry man, Rock'n'Roll damnation, Let's get it up etc.

easy to do too
probably takes longer updating the frickin' machine - man Sterns take AGES to update

Back
Top Bottom