What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The latest 'MUST HAVE' pinball lighting mod!

Replay

Site Supporter
Do you want a pinball lighting mod that will light up every game you own?

That you can transfer from game to game?

That is cheap and easy to install?

That will give YOU an edge in competitions, and gain YOU extra WPPR points?

No flickering guaranteed.

Interested?

You may have already tried pinstadiums at $250 a pop, but maybe aren't sold on the zebra stripes on some games or having to remove them as you lift a playfield?

Or trying an Orion's belt has burnt your retinas out?

Or maybe you have spent hours installing all the best no flicker led's but something is still missing?

Or added the LED-OCD to make the leds work properly?

So, where do I sign up?

And who is going to be the first UK player to gain an advantage in a UK competition?

And finally, what is the latest, greatest mod?

Study these pictures and see if you have the same eureka moment as I did.

Andy Rosa the first player to win an event using the mod ( ranked 36th in the world using this mod ).

Others will follow, you can bet on it.

On a serious note the guy won $2500 and a new Stern pro!

So, expect to see many more pinheads walking round looking like miners:D

In some sports this would be classed as some sort of artificial aid and not be allowed.

Think this is a debate that has only just started.

Good as a work light but a play light🤔
If it enables you to see the ball earlier, then reaction times are going to be quicker.
Wonder if there will be a ruling on this?

Defo ban it, that’s just desperate. Imagine everyone with one😂
I’m going to try mine now😁

its banned in Germany.

Andy Rosa is a great guy and a fantastic player, nothing in the rules says he can't use a light. a few folks have used them at pinburgh and he's worn gloves for a while.

I think the bigger issue is why are modern games so freaking dark!

I think the bigger issue is why are modern games so freaking dark!

If it is designed that way... one would argue that is how it is supposed to play... They can set the lighting up as they wish and I am hoping they do consider it in test plays (although with cost cutting it may be a one shot and done to get it right) and adjust as they feel it is required. The one thing that is certain in pinball (a lot like life) is that the ball will eventually drain, everyone doesn't have the same bounces, but they have the same playfield.

he didn't break any rules. nobody complained about it and he won the tournament by playing really well. bottom lounge is a dark venue...
Peter Blakemore used a torch at the London and SE UK league round at flipout...

Sad that folks are talking about a light rather than the fact that loads of top players went out in the first round and how tough the game setup was and some of the epic plays notably by Jim Belsito, Derek Price and others... the game play was superb.

Sorry but if you have something that no one else has access to then it is cheating. Might not be against the rules but surely it’s against the spirit of the game. No different to one player getting an overhead light turned off but everyone else playing with a reflection.

Mind you alien could do with about 10 lights so you can actually see the bloody ball

he didn't break any rules. nobody complained about it and he won the tournament by playing really well. bottom lounge is a dark venue...
Peter Blakemore used a torch at the London and SE UK league round at flipout...

Sad that folks are talking about a light rather than the fact that loads of top players went out in the first round and how tough the game setup was and some of the epic plays notably by Jim Belsito, Derek Price and others... the game play was superb.
It's a talking point though, isn't it Neil?
Just like any other controversy in any other sport.
I wasn't able to watch any of the actual tournament - didn't know it was on.
Was it streamed live?
This tournament has probably got more people talking about it BECAUSE of the light so any publicity is ..... :D

It’s on both.

I don’t think it is a talking point.

I only see those who wouldn’t be at that level of tournament talking about it :)

It’s not cheating any more than wearing a shirt that has a grippy feel to it helps you in rugby, or a hat in cycling that gives you better aero, competition is about inches and Andy simply took an inch that maybe helped him - watch his play I think his performance on ball and flippers made the difference rather than the light- for others would that have helped them maybe- maybe not. Unlike cricket or tennis nothing that states what light should be there. Should I not wear my glasses either? In some ways I hope loads of folks start doing it then venues will sort lighting out :)

Cheers,
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and in the video you can sort of see what a difference it makes - which in my view not a lot!

It’s on both.

I don’t think it is a talking point.

I only see those who wouldn’t be at that level of tournament talking about it :)

It’s not cheating any more than wearing a shirt that has a grippy feel to it helps you in rugby, or a hat in cycling that gives you better aero, competition is about inches and Andy simply took an inch that maybe helped him - watch his play I think his performance on ball and flippers made the difference rather than the light- for others would that have helped them maybe- maybe not. Unlike cricket or tennis nothing that states what light should be there. Should I not wear my glasses either? In some ways I hope loads of folks start doing it then venues will sort lighting out :)

Cheers,
Neil

It's a talking point because people are talking about it:p

You can be sure there will be more players at pinburgh wearing them!!

There are no rules against it, so more players will use them.

It's like in Golf - somebody wins with a funny putter and then everyone and their Aunt are using them:D

I just found it all amusing but maybe that is my warped sense of humour;)

How do you know more people will have it at Pinburgh? ;)

Light at Pinburgh is perfect - if anything glare is more of a problem.

It’s sadly not a worthy talking point :) I’d rather talk about Andy’s amazing Deadpool game which was superb and the epic super jackpot that derek got in GOTG - much more interesting than a light and the players that struggled in touch machines that all virtually had no ball save!

If it’s not cheating then maybe I should bring my scissor lift to the next meet and adjust the pitch for my games 😉

I have a vintage one of these mods in my garage. Willing to sell for £495 plus shipping. Can provide Martins details if you want a reliable courier.

How do you know more people will have it at Pinburgh? ;)

Light at Pinburgh is perfect - if anything glare is more of a problem.

It’s sadly not a worthy talking point :) I’d rather talk about Andy’s amazing Deadpool game which was superb and the epic super jackpot that derek got in GOTG - much more interesting than a light and the players that struggled in touch machines that all virtually had no ball save!

Because someone on pinside is taking one :p;)

It's inevitable that some will try it. Every Sport people have shown they will try anything if they think it will give them an edge!

That's how stupid broom handle putters exploded at one point:eek:

Did Keith play?

I developed the first Cree LED head torch in the early 90's when I was caving. Can I claim royalties ?

It's a torch. Anyone should have one in their bag, most people have one on their phone now. Cudos to the man.

I see a lot of talk on pinside regarding glass and ambient light reflection. At home this is not an issue and the last time I played in the wild was in a snooker hall in the early 2000, was not an issue there either as it was dark.

Do game designers still work on the basis that machines are going to be located in a dark corner of a bar rather then being a show piece in someone's home or situated in a modern light establishment?

So we just about get pinball televised and someone shows up with a light so bright it kills the camera. Maybe i should turn up with a neodymium magnet and place it on the glass behind the flippers so I can drag the ball back into play. You play the game as set, this includes the lighting.

So we just about get pinball televised and someone shows up with a light so bright it kills the camera. Maybe i should turn up with a neodymium magnet and place it on the glass behind the flippers so I can drag the ball back into play. You play the game as set, this includes the lighting.
I agree. It's no different to someone in a competition switching the venue lights on/off when it's their turn. People wouldn't accept that.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

The issue people on Tilt Forums have talked about (months and months ago) is not the perceived advantage it gives that player by having better light (why not go the whole hog and bring a portable lighting rig to have set up next to you while you play) - but the fact that it is a distraction to players on neighbouring tables if the player with the head torch moves his head, either during play or as he drains, thus casting a beam of light into their eyes.

And both papa and IFPA would rule a yellow and red card if such a device distracted another player. Mountains out of molehills.

Back
Top Bottom