What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The following takes place between 08:30am and 15:30pm

^^^^^^^ a bloke in the pub convinced me to put French doors in mine.

Definitely the right decision IMHO

I bought blackout blinds for the windows and doors on mine but they are largely south facing and don’t hit the pins.
I put a carpet at the door for entry as it is at the bottom of the garden. Looks really dirty after the first winter. The wood floor is at least cleanable.

I bought blackout blinds for the windows and doors on mine but they are largely south facing and don’t hit the pins.
I put a carpet at the door for entry as it is at the bottom of the garden. Looks really dirty after the first winter. The wood floor is at least cleanable.

I'm going full carpet in mine (nothing fancy as long as it's hard wearing) and a door mat inside. My garden isn’t very big so it's not far from the back door to the cabin.

Last edited:
Hold on baby. Best flooring option imho is the gym tile ....

https://www.ecotileflooring.com/product/e5007/

I used these in my workshop, office, hallway (for drying wet dog), gym and pinshed.

Easy to lay
Easy to clean
Very robust
Insulating
Sound deadening
Have "give" should you drop something/ remove glass/ kneel down

Last edited:
Interesting David, what happens at the edges with those? Do you have to cut off the little locking tabs?

Looking online they seem to be around £35 a square metre, did you get yours direct from them?

Nice, I’ve something very similar but mines a bit smaller, I’ve laminate flooring and tinted the windows B)
my machines slide around easily enough when needed and easy to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tiles are 500x500. You basically lay a North South and East West cross in the middle of the room so you can visualise where your cuts/ joint lines will be. You may choose to centre a joint on your French doors for example and half way across the depth of your shed. Or centre on the French doors with a full tile on your way in leaving whatever the cut is behind your games on the far wall

The dappled finish is better than the grippier/ non slip/ gym style raised dots.

You can hire a guillotine to cut them, but I used an electric jigsaw. Takes maybe 20 to 30 seconds per tile to cut. Very easy. Just lay them. No glue, membrane or underlay required.

You leave an expansion gap of about 5mm around the perimeter. You do not notice this once down as the tiles 7mm thick. I have put silicone in some of my expansion gaps. I do think they might be a waste of time actually as I have never noticed any expansion, so use a smaller gap these days

There are door threshold "ramps" you can buy If you want

I have only ever bought direct. Ecotile often has a half-price special offer on something. I have bought all mine, spread over 8 years, with the benefit of this. It may be end of a batch. Or a custom colour they are left with (used in my gym), or a slow selling colour.

My pinshed has the hidden join version called the 500/6 that sadly is no longer produced by ecotile - but other companies make them. They are much fiddlier to fit, but you get a straight line bevelled join rather than the jigsaw. However 99 per cent of these things you see in gyms/ garages are the classic and original jigsaw style and most folk will neither notice nor care

https://r-tekmanufacturingltd.com/r-tile-excel-hidden-join-flooring/

You are welcome to come over to have a look and have a go at cutting one when plague rules allow

Last edited:
The electrical work starts on Tuesday so I've got a weekend of painting wood preserver on the interior!

I'd consider carpet tiles - they are hardwearing but easy to replace a couple of them if you have a mishap.

I'd consider carpet tiles - they are hardwearing but easy to replace a couple of them if you have a mishap.
Agreed, buy the industrial ones for hard wear. I have a place near me that does end of line ones at greatly reduced prices. They also can do custom ones if you have money to burn/want something unique for your floor..

Are you going to install these:

You can get them different lengths. Put them on a low thermostat or timer so it takes the chill off the place. They are only 40 watts (less than an old fashioned light bulb!).

I would throw a couple in! They are not really good enough to be used as heaters but helps with things not getting freezing cold.

I'll take a look at them Phil 👍 I'm having an oil filled radiator fitted which will be on a timer and a spur put in for a 2nd if needed but tbh after being in here most of the day painting it's really well insulated already. I've been working up a sweat 🤣

Another option is a dehumidifier, the non commercial type are cheap to run and add a small bit of heat as well as keep mould old away plus a fan heater which heats it up quick if need be. The oil types are good but take longer to heat an area if turned up. My fan heater is set low to keep room about 15c ish and not on much but heats the room quick when turned up and only set to 1kw.

Sorry to be a dissenting voice Chris.

But now I own 2x split inverter air con units - I would consider installing one of these if I were you. I always had one in mind for my pinshed, I designed my layout to take one, but I had a storage heater in stock so I just used that. I will be installing an inverter AC unit in the future when I have rebuilt my drive so the external AC unit will have a permanent, flat base to sit on.

They are air source heat pumps and cooling air conditioners. You only need a small one. Cheapest way to heat a shed in terms of power consumption with the benefit of AC in summer. It is like having a powerful fan heater on the wall, but it uses about a third of the electricity and is much quieter.

I have a unit in my bedroom - the radiator is now redundant. I have a unit in my lounge/ kitchen/ diner - the 2x radiators and 1x stove are all now redundant. Night and day versus radiators/ fan heaters/ panel heaters/ stoves/ open fires ....

You can run a 3kw unit off a ring main. It would take an electrician that is gas registered about half a day if he is quick to a day max to install one in your shed. this sort of thing

Panasonic 3.5kW Inverter Air Conditioner CS-FZ35UKE and CU-FZ35UKE - K – Airconcentre.co.uk

Last edited:
yeah whilst it won't get cold in winter, it _will_ get hot in the summer.

Looks really good.

I've been talking to Keops about potentially getting a log cabin next year - it would also be the same design (Moderna) with flat EPDM roof, insulated roof and floor, additional bearers and the thickest logs etc.. I have to say that they seem to be extremely efficient - after emailing them with a shedload (pun intended) of questions, they were really quick to come back with answers to everything and some really useful additional advice.

If only the builders I've spoken to about putting in the base, path down the garden and re-building the patio retaining wall were as helpful. **If anyone has good recommendations for builders in the North West London area, who might actually quote and turn up to do the job rather having a look and then just disappearing please let me know.**

The intention will be to have space for at least 3 pins, pool table, bar, darts, seating and a reasonable table and chairs as it's a joint use space and my wife has her requirements to be met also. It will have windows as well (with blinds)!

I also agree with the comments re. heating and will be going for a split unit air con/heat pump for efficient heating in winter and cooling in summer.

From stuff I've read about, I have one question about the electrical install in your cabin - has your electrician fitted the conduit tightly bolted to the walls, or are the brackets fairly loose to enable expansion and contraction of the walls vertically? Similar question for the heater and consumer unit? You've probably already seen it, but just in case here's a link to advice on the Keops website.
Also another useful article from the TUIN website.

mine is bolted down, all of my stuff is bolted down, doesn't seem to cause any big issues.

Look for a GroundsWork person rather than a builder. I used a company called bulldog groundworks.

Looking great, for the oil filled radiator I set mine up with a Hive thermostat & Solid State Relay, As I know what I'm like and would wake up in the night thinking 'did I turn it off' I can easily check on my phone.
Cant wait to see it full of pins :)

Looks great, love the electrical fittings too.

Reading above, I also used carpet tiles in my cabin Chris. Fairly cheap, easy to lay yourself with aerosol adhesive, hard wearing and can slide pins about without them pulling up, although I laid chipboard panels first to add to the floor insulation. Just FYI if under consideration. 👍

Back
Top Bottom