What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Chinese connection

paddythegreek

Site Supporter
Alias
Ken
Was talking with a market trader earlier who buys a fair bit from China but since this Coronavirus kicked off he’s not buying anything.
Made me think as I’m sure a good few of us on here have bought stuff from China abeit pinball related or not. Does one wear a mask and spray it with dettol whilst wearing condom gloves on opening it?

I've had a few bits delivered from China over the last few days and haven't done anything special with it. Certainly haven't licked them tho.

Anyone else think that it's all just a massive beat up? I was reading that the flu kills more people a year.

--
The virus had killed about 1,100 worldwide and infected around a dozen in the United States. Alarming, but a much more common illness, influenza, kills about 400,000 people every year, including 34,200 Americans last flu season and 61,099 the year before.
--

The only thing that rattles this statistic is the almost certainty that China is under reporting the death toll - either knowingly or because people don't know they have it.

I've had a few bits delivered from China over the last few days and haven't done anything special with it. Certainly haven't licked them tho.

Anyone else think that it's all just a massive beat up? I was reading that the flu kills more people a year.

--
The virus had killed about 1,100 worldwide and infected around a dozen in the United States. Alarming, but a much more common illness, influenza, kills about 400,000 people every year, including 34,200 Americans last flu season and 61,099 the year before.
--

The only thing that rattles this statistic is the almost certainty that China is under reporting the death toll - either knowingly or because people don't know they have it.

pretty sure that China is under calling the impact.

--
--

I thought so initially but Russia has closed all of it's 2700 mile border with China so something is clearly going on.

I have two friends who work for a very wealthy bloke in Hong Kong. He flew himself and 7 staff back to the UK two weeks ago on a private jet and is clearly concerned enough to mothball a business that makes tens of millions each year. He says that it's all gone mental over there and we don't know the half of it.

Have just watched Contagion on BBC iPlayer, which was recorded 2 years ago, along with 'The flu that killed 50 million' - it will be a flu pandemic that wipes out more people in the future, moreso than any war will ever do.
I
With global travel today able to transfer people, and thus the viruses they can carry, so quickly I'm amazed that it has been kept as contained as it has - so far.

It's a statistical certainty that it will happen.

One of my granddaughters friends is Chinese whose parents own a takeaway. She says takings are down around 30% since this kicked off.
They now got a sign on the door saying all food used comes from the UK. I’m still having a Chinese tonight no matter what.

Will be interesting to see how this affects companies. Stern seem to be quite reliant on China.

Also personally think it’s unlikely the Chinese are being honest about the real impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have a look in the HomePin thread on pinside. Mike has had to find a factory in Taiwan...

Could an airborne virus really survive in a package contaminated in China as it travelled by sea for weeks?
Serious question as ive just bought a Tamiya technigold motor from China 🤣

Suspect I’m at a slightly higher level of risk than some other people on here. My daughters best friend came back from China in mid Jan and has had several sleepovers here since (her mum is still over there but is due to return in the next two weeks).

I spend wed evenings in lewisham hospital in the bar where the staff hang out.

We’ve got a large amount of Chinese students in New Cross and Greenwich. My daughters school is probably 10% Chinese.

Spend 90 mins a day on an overcrowded tube full of people currently coughing away, half of which are pretty much kissing distance away from you.

Spend all day in a sealed building with 1400 kids with a passive aircon system pushing germs about At least 10% of them are ill at any given time.

My son was due to go on a trip to China later this year but it’s just been scrapped.

Oh well. If I’m honest I’m far more worried about the possibility of catching TB working in Tower Hamlets than the risk of getting anything from something sent in the post.

If I cark it then there will be a surge of machines hitting the market. 😉

Good to know my impending doom would make Tucks happy. Trust me my body wouldn’t even be cold before Anna started to reclaim the back room.

Suspect I’m at a slightly higher level of risk than some other people on here. My daughters best friend came back from China in mid Jan and has had several sleepovers here since (her mum is still over there but is due to return in the next two weeks).

I spend wed evenings in lewisham hospital in the bar where the staff hang out.

We’ve got a large amount of Chinese students in New Cross and Greenwich. My daughters school is probably 10% Chinese.

Spend 90 mins a day on an overcrowded tube full of people currently coughing away, half of which are pretty much kissing distance away from you.

Spend all day in a sealed building with 1400 kids with a passive aircon system pushing germs about At least 10% of them are ill at any given time.

My son was due to go on a trip to China later this year but it’s just been scrapped.

Oh well. If I’m honest I’m far more worried about the possibility of catching TB working in Tower Hamlets than the risk of getting anything from something sent in the post.

If I cark it then there will be a surge of machines hitting the market. 😉

ok I've mailed dawn about ensuring we miss the grandads of rock round of the league :D LOL

Too late dude, God only knows what you’ve already been exposed to. Little did you know that when Becca was little she presented us with a 25 cm roundworm. Only normally found in Asia and Africa, it was like something from a horror film. We got stuck in isolation for 5 days. Tower Hamlets is the borough that keeps on giving. 🤣

Have just watched Contagion on BBC iPlayer, which was recorded 2 years ago, along with 'The flu that killed 50 million' - it will be a flu pandemic that wipes out more people in the future, moreso than any war will ever do.
I
With global travel today able to transfer people, and thus the viruses they can carry, so quickly I'm amazed that it has been kept as contained as it has - so far.

It's a statistical certainty that it will happen.

Well it's 100 years since Spanish Flu, it's all cyclic. We are due a stock market correction very soon also.

watch the oil and gold price; the virus has happened at the best time for china during new year so impact so far very small so far but if it goes on for an extended period of time then it could have a wider impact. and typicalyl there isn't anything such as a stock market correction, it affects bonds, forex, commodities and many other things, but I agree some sort of reset isn't far away - I hope when its comes its as lucrative as the 2008 one.

As soon as the newspapers report buy stocks short the whole lot. It's all very toppy now.

Well it's 100 years since Spanish Flu, it's all cyclic. We are due a stock market correction very soon also.
You called it! Did you know it would be this bad, and how much further do you reckon it will fall?

Not much more I reckon but it’s been super lucrative. Always more to be made in the down than the up. US is the interesting place as stocks will recover only for them to panic down again because of trumps **** poor management of the situation.

You called it! Did you know it would be this bad, and how much further do you reckon it will fall?
I moved half my pensions to risk #1 funds so I am targeting FTSE 4300. If support fails here it's a drop to 3500. So will move them to risk #6 or #7 then.

I'm about 25% cash at the minute in my ISA and SIPP, probably ought to go more cash as can't see any light at the end of the tunnel yet, the situation in Italy is spiralling out of control, a sign of things to come for the rest of the world.

Back
Top Bottom