What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TFTC / Playfield Inserts Repair - Picture Heavy - Part 2!

Dex-Jay

Site Supporter
Alias
Richard
Hi again, todays fun packed instalment sees me tidy yet more playfield inserts on my DE Tales From the Crypt TFTC.

After the excitement of Part 1 I know you've all been dying to know how the rest of it has been going. OK, maybe none of you, but I'm going to tell you anyway!
https://www.pinballinfo.com/communi...epair-picture-heavy-part-1.51064/#post-430246 << Pt. 1.

So with almost all the nasty mylar removed it was time for inserts with colour and in bigger areas than last time.

TFTC0.jpg

Above you can see the "Door Prizes" decals printed (what I needed anyway). I didn't want to remove solid areas just the flakey areas which was 50% of 3 large inserts.

TFTC1.jpg

Some trial fitting of the decals to make sure I'd got them sized pretty close, yeah not far off. At the missing Door #2 area I removed just the loose flakey decal, most was gone anyway.

TFTC2.jpg

Into the water with a "Fizzzzzz". Weird that.

TFTC3.jpg

About 60-90 seconds later, out it comes....

TFTC4.jpg

Onto the insert missing art, door 3 was the big one....

TFTC5.jpg

Trim where slightly oversize. Otherwise it will be proud and the ball would bump slightly. Undersize I can make up with paint & lacquer, I'm talking about 1mm here by the way.

TFTC6.jpg

Doors 1,2 & 3 done. Pad off all the moisture and leave it for a few days. Paint next.

TFTC7.jpg

White paint first, phone for reference....

TFTC8.jpg

Flesh tones, green, orangey-red. I mixed 2K automotive paint in small amounts to match.

TFTC9.jpg

Once about done I left it for a week or so again, although I could have done it next day and brushed some 2K lacquer on. As I mentioned in the previous posting, if I replace this playfield with the better one then this will get stripped and the whole playfield 2K lacquered. It is pretty level though and it was better me saving this before it got any worse.

Hopefully this will answer someone's questions regarding playfield touch-ups and decal replacement.

Excellent.
Did you use a very fine tip artist brush to do the painting?
You could easily get a job on Repair Shop 👍

Hi, thanks for the cool comments!

Brushes wise nothing expensive but they were 000 to 0 so reasonably fine, just cheap Chinese brushes off eBay.
I also used them touching up my SS cabinet which is still more parts than a complete machine! This is an enamel below by the way.

It's just a time consuming process but it's worth it to pretty stuff up! :)

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 16.05.59.png

The fluorescent green on the TFTC was the only acrylic I used and that was a Rustoleum Green exactly the same colour I used on my EATPM.

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 13.17.45.png

If I ever get a bit more workshop space I would consider the odd playfield touch-up.

Well... not bad :)
Let me show you my secret.... thank me later :)
Interesting, I'd seen one somewhere before but never used one. I shall have to give one a go at some point!

Back
Top Bottom