What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TFTC / Playfield Inserts Repair - Picture Heavy - Part 1!

Dex-Jay

Site Supporter
Alias
Richard
TFTC / Playfield Inserts Repair

So this isn’t a resto thread on my TFTC but as other people out there have similar problems I thought I’d post some pictures. My TFTC which I don’t regret buying, (well that’s a lie, it has been a bit of a PITA sometimes) it was always going to be considered a “players machine” cabinet wear, flipper issues and a moderate amount of playfield wear.

I did source a replacement playfield with thoughts of replacing it but if I can possibly save something then I will. The benefit of me having the 2nd good playfield is that I do have opportunity to get some decent pictures as reference.

How bad was the playfield insert wear? Bad. Everything to ghosting – where the adhesive under the factory decal / adhesion of the factory paint comes loose and areas become white. That to cracked split due to long hours of heat from incandescent bulbs to full blown torn, ripped and missing. So bad that in areas the top mylar (placed in heavy wear areas) had a hole in it, the mylar underneath that had a hole in it and even what I presume was the thin film of decal which the text is printed to is gone as well, 3 layers in all. God knows quite how!

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.56.55.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.51.46.png
(Above, before. Ooo, eck! I'm not looking forward to this. Time for some brave pills, here we go!)

How many areas were effected? 14 inserts in all, most needing complete repair, others needed just a section replaced as they were solid for the most part.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.57.10.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.53.48.pngic

The mylar was SLOWLY removed, probably took me 1 ½ hours with a hairdryer, rather than a heatgun, rolling up the junk mylar as I went.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 15.00.10.png

Have I tried freezespray? Yeah, that did not go well on the other playfield I worked on and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Use heat. Soften the adhesive, gauge how tacky it is and how much it’s still biting before you just rip it off. The hairdrier should be very, very warm, not quite hot. A heatgun may well start cooking your playfield if you’re not careful. Fingers too actually.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.59.47.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.59.07.png
How discoloured and thrashed? Yeah, very.

Trim with a blade any remaining insert decals you want gone. Get that mylar gone then clean up with paper tissues, isopropyl alcohol, Q-tips. Then polish with a rubbing compound inserts if they’re dirt and yucky if the dirt crept underneath them, I had to. Finally alcohol again to remove any polishing compound residue.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.58.12.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.58.28.png

Clean and ready for decals?

I photographed, measured, scaled and sized the images in photoshop and did the digital repairs. Once done I did a test print time and again until I had the sizing correct. Once correct I then commited to some transfer paper. (Like this stuff).

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 15.00.26.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.58.56.png

Printed then sealed with some 2K automotive lacquer. The paper is taped to a wooden board here. 2 coats sprayed with touch-up paint gun.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.56.02.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.58.41.png

Trimmed the new decal paper as required & float onto the playfield the decals. Not too much water and more paper tissue to keep it dry as possible. Give it (whatever) time to dry out. I gave mine a week or so but it probably would be OK after 24 hours.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 17.01.57.png
(Above, well the old damaged stuff is gone at least so while incomplete it does look a "bit" better...decals next!)

If the insert needs paint then add that now before final sealing. I used 2K solid colours which I mixed as required, enamels can be OK too. Acrylic at a push. The important thing is you seal that decal with lacquer again. You don’t want the risk of catching the edge when cleaning / leaving a hard line that will disrupt a ball. If your playfield is stripped you’ll lacquer the whole thing anyway. If like me it’s in the house (cough, kitchen) then you’ll have to brush it in very carefully.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 14.55.44.png
(Above, same playfield after a good few hours. Time well spent though)

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 15.00.57.png
(Above, same Werewolf Countdown insert, just new decals).

If you have to spray it you really want to be doing that outside, 2K is nasty stuff. Please read all the warnings and take all safety precautions for your health and others.

At some point when I swap / strip this playfield down and lacquer the whole thing then I’ll level the existing lacquer up with a flat and polish once it’s all lacquered.

The important thing for me was to stop it looking such an eyesore and stop it getting any worse. This my same thinking on my EATPM.

Hopefully this will about cover it.

Rich

Last edited:
Amazing work mate, this is not an easy job at all and you're results look great.

With regards to the 2K clear, can I just reiterate how serious this stuff is. Not only doing it outside, but FULL and CORRECT respirator should be used. In fact, after reading about this more from people who know way more about it that me, I'm never doing it myself again, and will use a professional who has the right gear.

Sorry to be a pain about it but this stuff is literally deadly.

Amazing work mate, this is not an easy job at all and you're results look great.

Sorry to be a pain about it but this stuff is literally deadly.
You're right it is. I've sprayed cars with it without full gear years ago but I certainly wouldn't now. By full gear it should be an aired respirator & extraction. Like most stuff it will go through the pores in your skin so gloves everytime without fail. Had I been asthmatic I think it would have been a real problem. My mate in the motor trade has been told by his doctor not to paint cars anymore.

Without this getting preachy, which is not my intent, body filler (bondo if you're here from the US), MDF and oil paint dust can also cause problems so avoid whenever you can. That said, a small amount, used carefully and you'll be OK once in a blue moon. If you've health problems/asthmatic get someone else to do it.

And thanks, it looks OK! I've 4 inserts left to do & add colour and then it will be done.
I shall wax it like crazy and see how it plays, it was a bit laughable when the ball went down a mylar hole and the ball got thrown sideways! Me - "I think it's time I sorted that..."

Happy repairing and save those playfields! :)

You're right it is. I've sprayed cars with it without full gear years ago but I certainly wouldn't now. By full gear it should be an aired respirator & extraction. Like most stuff it will go through the pores in your skin so gloves everytime without fail. Had I been asthmatic I think it would have been a real problem. My mate in the motor trade has been told by his doctor not to paint cars anymore.

Without this getting preachy, which is not my intent, body filler (bondo if you're here from the US), MDF and oil paint dust can also cause problems so avoid whenever you can. That said, a small amount, used carefully and you'll be OK once in a blue moon. If you've health problems/asthmatic get someone else to do it.

And thanks, it looks OK! I've 4 inserts left to do & add colour and then it will be done.
I shall wax it like crazy and see how it plays, it was a bit laughable when the ball went down a mylar hole and the ball got thrown sideways! Me - "I think it's time I sorted that..."

Happy repairing and save those playfields! :)
TFTC / Playfield Inserts Repair

So this isn’t a resto thread on my TFTC but as other people out there have similar problems I thought I’d post some pictures. My TFTC which I don’t regret buying, (well that’s a lie, it has been a bit of a PITA sometimes) it was always going to be considered a “players machine” cabinet wear, flipper issues and a moderate amount of playfield wear.

I did source a replacement playfield with thoughts of replacing it but if I can possibly save something then I will. The benefit of me having the 2nd good playfield is that I do have opportunity to get some decent pictures as reference.

How bad was the playfield insert wear? Bad. Everything to ghosting – where the adhesive under the factory decal / adhesion of the factory paint comes loose and areas become white. That to cracked split due to long hours of heat from incandescent bulbs to full blown torn, ripped and missing. So bad that in areas the top mylar (placed in heavy wear areas) had a hole in it, the mylar underneath that had a hole in it and even what I presume was the thin film of decal which the text is printed to is gone as well, 3 layers in all. God knows quite how!

View attachment 151962

View attachment 151960
(Above, before. Ooo, eck! I'm not looking forward to this. Time for some brave pills, here we go!)

How many areas were effected? 14 inserts in all, most needing complete repair, others needed just a section replaced as they were solid for the most part.

View attachment 151961

View attachment 151963ic

The mylar was SLOWLY removed, probably took me 1 ½ hours with a hairdryer, rather than a heatgun, rolling up the junk mylar as I went.

View attachment 151964

Have I tried freezespray? Yeah, that did not go well on the other playfield I worked on and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Use heat. Soften the adhesive, gauge how tacky it is and how much it’s still biting before you just rip it off. The hairdrier should be very, very warm, not quite hot. A heatgun may well start cooking your playfield if you’re not careful. Fingers too actually.

View attachment 151965

View attachment 151966
How discoloured and thrashed? Yeah, very.

Trim with a blade any remaining insert decals you want gone. Get that mylar gone then clean up with paper tissues, isopropyl alcohol, Q-tips. Then polish with a rubbing compound inserts if they’re dirt and yucky if the dirt crept underneath them, I had to. Finally alcohol again to remove any polishing compound residue.

View attachment 151967

View attachment 151968

Clean and ready for decals?

I photographed, measured, scaled and sized the images in photoshop and did the digital repairs. Once done I did a test print time and again until I had the sizing correct. Once correct I then commited to some transfer paper. (Like this stuff).

View attachment 151969

View attachment 151970

Printed then sealed with some 2K automotive lacquer. The paper is taped to a wooden board here. 2 coats sprayed with touch-up paint gun.

View attachment 151971

View attachment 151972

Trimmed the new decal paper as required & float onto the playfield the decals. Not too much water and more paper tissue to keep it dry as possible. Give it (whatever) time to dry out. I gave mine a week or so but it probably would be OK after 24 hours.

View attachment 151976
(Above, well the old damaged stuff is gone at least so while incomplete it does look a "bit" better...decals next!)

If the insert needs paint then add that now before final sealing. I used 2K solid colours which I mixed as required, enamels can be OK too. Acrylic at a push. The important thing is you seal that decal with lacquer again. You don’t want the risk of catching the edge when cleaning / leaving a hard line that will disrupt a ball. If your playfield is stripped you’ll lacquer the whole thing anyway. If like me it’s in the house (cough, kitchen) then you’ll have to brush it in very carefully.

View attachment 151973
(Above, same playfield after a good few hours. Time well spent though)

View attachment 151974
(Above, same Werewolf Countdown insert, just new decals).

If you have to spray it you really want to be doing that outside, 2K is nasty stuff. Please read all the warnings and take all safety precautions for your health and others.

At some point when I swap / strip this playfield down and lacquer the whole thing then I’ll level the existing lacquer up with a flat and polish once it’s all lacquered.

The important thing for me was to stop it looking such an eyesore and stop it getting any worse. This my same thinking on my EATPM.

Hopefully this will about cover it.

Rich
That’s fantastic, many thanks. And exactly what I was hoping would be possible, I saw a similar post elsewhere and they had clamps out and all sorts, something I was trying to avoid, this method looks doable. You wouldn’t happen to have the rectangular 1.5”x0.5” FRIGHTMARE decal saved in photoshop would you 🤞😬🤞

That’s fantastic, many thanks. And exactly what I was hoping would be possible, I saw a similar post elsewhere and they had clamps out and all sorts, something I was trying to avoid, this method looks doable. You wouldn’t happen to have the rectangular 1.5”x0.5” FRIGHTMARE decal saved in photoshop would you 🤞😬🤞
Just PM'd you as the webpage seems to resize the image... Rich

The clamps are for leveling inserts that have lifted out of their holes. A totally different issue to this

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom