What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test equipment advice needed

Adrian Donati

Registered
Looking for recommendations for a bench top power supply and an oscilloscope, and possibly any other equipment I might need in order to test/repair the pcb's from my games. Starting with a DCS board if that makes a difference :)

Thanks in advance,
Adrian.

Bench top Psu... Variable?? If not, just a standard AT psu (or ATX with the necessary Jumpers to make it come straight on when powered up...

I don't have a fancy bench PSU so can't make any recommendation on that front, but all you need for testing old boards is a PC power supply. The old Bally MPUs only need +5VDC and +12VDC which a PC PSU can supply cleanly and precisely. Advantage is they're cheap; you may even have an one kicking around in an old computer.

As for an oscilloscope that's going to depend on your budget. Prices can get crazy. Fluke portables are well in excess of £1,000. Bench models will set you back hundreds. But depending on your needs you'll probably find a PC-based USB 'scope more than adequate. I've got one of these: Hantek 6022BE PC Based USB Digital Storage Oscilloscope 20Mhz Bandwidth 48MSa/s. Around £45-50 on eBay. Bargain I think for a dual-channel 20MHz oscilloscope! My Dad got one of those cheap pocket 'scopes that look like an MP3 player for about £30-40. Not up for professional use but more than adequate for tracing simple signals. Quite a few other good bargains on eBay like this old-school CRT http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231586649470 for £55. Again, horses for courses. There are way better pieces of equipment but depends on your budget and requirements. No point buying a Ferrari if you can't afford it and need a car for transporting pins ;)

Thanks folks, very helpful :) I'm only planning on looking at pinball boards, so the PSU from a PC should be perfect. As for the scope, I was bought up on Tektronix kit, but that was more years ago than I care to think about! I'm sure the Hantek unit will do the job.

Since the first cab off my rank is a DCS board, is there anything else I might need?

Back
Top Bottom