What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tesla Owners

You’re a brave lot. i’m sticking to Petrol or Diesel for a good few years yet.
In fairness Alan that’s the wife’s attitude and she was adamant she wanted another PHEV as it’s kinda the best of both worlds. Unfortunately any PHEV with 40mi range battery’s was crazy money too so she gave in purely down to driving the car we bought and loving it too.
For me once you drive electric it’s hard to go back and when I jump in a gas guzzler they all sound like being in a tractor now.

Oh is it a Jag thread or electric car thread I didn’t notice it.
Yh Jag is out my price range I was pushing the boat out as it was and spent over my budget TBH
This one's the EV thread, but I get to join in both, :)

Yes the Jags are pricey but mine goes through my company and as Neil stated earlier its like the old days with income tax on electric cars, so the all in monthly cost (including tax and both employer and employee costs) for the jag was no more than for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV I had previously. it was a no brainer really - I had a choice between a top of the range I-pace HSE or a Outlander PHEV 4s at the same monthly cost, just because of the generous tax position on EVs. Thanks, Rishi.

I’ve joined this club now, well nearly, Tesla model S, delivery now been put back by a couple of days, now should be this Saturday. Looked at model 3, the boot although a reasonable size the access into it is like a letter box, so doesn’t work for me. Looked at model X but just not a lover of the rear doors or people carrier styling. All personal preferences, no right no wrong, just my opinions.

Tesla won for me on the product, I perceive to be excellent and the charging network is unrivalled.

Will be interesting to how I get on with it, it’s as a daily, my current daily is approaching 1/4 million miles and still really drives well, no knocks, rattles and uses no oil, so a lot to live up to. still got my fun cars IF I ever get any time at the weekends, 16 miles in one and 120 miles in the other, not a great annual mileage 🙁

Also it’s been interesting to see how much negative I’ve received from a few people, can’t really see why, but hey ho! I have quite a few customers who run electric, only so far heard +ve.

Chris.

Well after trying several cars in the past 2 month I have finally bit the bullet however it has not been fired in the direction of Tesla due to a number of reasons but mainly due to it having limited boot space.
My previous car has been awesome it’s a Mitsubishi PHEV which could do 30mi on electric regardless of how fast you go so it’s not limited like some to 30mph.
However it’s now 6yr only out of warranty and done 92k miles 75% which is easily on all electric mode only using petrol when I collect or pick up the odd pin now and again. Oh and yes a pin sits in easily hence my usual selection of a new car pretty easy choice. Now I am only managing half the range on pure electric as the battery’s had lots of use so 16mi is tops now.

So my decision was based on the following:
1. It must be under 45k as we buy our cars outright the wife refuses to lease (don’t go there) 40 was the cutoff but you kinda struggle getting anything decent under that.
2. It has to be a SUV or Crossover for practicality to Chuck bikes and toys in the back as well as trips to the skip.
3. PHEV or Pure EV only as our last car was perfect for our needs with usually short trips under 25mi

So in reverse order and IMO which is subjective with cars and in a way just like pins!

4th place was the Tesla as I was kinda blown away by the speed, tech and the name alone kinda give some bragging rights I guess.

3rd place was the Skoda Enyaq it had pretty much everything with extended battery nice trim level if specced it up a little too.

2nd place was the Hyundai Ionic 5. this was the 1st car I drove that actually blew me away in every respect and a pin could fit easily in the back. It’s funky looking, very retro and packed with tech on base model. It even had better all round vision than the Tesla due to its SUV like driving position. I almost bought this car after driving back to back with the ****ty VW iD 4 earlier the same day.

And the winner is

The Kia EV6 Wow just wow! I was not prepared just how amazing this car is in every respect, the drive, the trim on base level, the tech and the futuristic look that only the Ionic 5 could match.
This was the most expensive car of all the aforementioned and it didn’t help that I went upto the GT line spec as I wanted the exact car I test drove.
Although more a crossover than SUV im not sure if a pin would drop in there, but that is something I can live with as I’m getting too old to hump the bloody things about now. Anyway Martin is the way.
I paid a little more for Matt Steel which was only available in the GT line but it looks stunning. Again IMO now I’ve just got to wait 3-4mth but I’m used to that with pins so it will fly by.
Oh forgot to mention it has a 7yr with 100k warranty on the battery’s

The car I drove
View attachment 156922View attachment 156923

The colour I went for
View attachment 156924
Lovely car! Welcome to the kia club. It sounds like a crap club, but that warranty sh1ts on the competition. My only annoyance with the EV6, vs my eNiro 4+, was the efficiency - it simply doesn’t compare to the eNiro or Kona, which is surprising giving it’s the next gen. Also no roof rack, which I NEED for mountain bikes! Otherwise a great choice.

Lovely car! Welcome to the kia club. It sounds like a crap club, but that warranty sh1ts on the competition. My only annoyance with the EV6, vs my eNiro 4+, was the efficiency - it simply doesn’t compare to the eNiro or Kona, which is surprising giving it’s the next gen. Also no roof rack, which I NEED for mountain bikes! Otherwise a great choice.
The Niro for me was just a little too small and the Kona even more so. I did however sit in both and dropped the seats to see practically but neither was a contender TBH
I’ve watched hours of YT footage of dozens of cars actually amazed at this by one of my fav journalists Matt Watson. Bear in mind the EV6 in the group test was a dual motor but I specifically wanted the single motor for a he extra range and to stop the boy racer in me.
Oh and it’s kinda a mini review too which has both the Audi eTron and the BMW not getting favourable comments.

The Niro for me was just a little too small and the Kona even more so. I did however sit in both and dropped the seats to see practically but neither was a contender TBH
I agree, eNiro boot space isn’t massive, but it’s perfect for what I need. The KONA is even smaller, the Soul too. Wife might get the EV6 ;) That fast charge speed is crazy!

Matt’s reviews are always fun. Watched hours of them prior to purchase.

Will be interesting to how I get on with it, it’s as a daily, my current daily is approaching 1/4 million miles and still really drives well, no knocks, rattles and uses no oil, so a lot to live up to. still got my fun cars IF I ever get any time at the weekends, 16 miles in one and 120 miles in the other, not a great annual mileage 🙁

115k on my Model S now (way fewer the last 2 years due to lockdowns and meetings moving to Teams), best daily car I've owned for motorway driving.

I have the same issue with weekends as well, thankfully Dawn has no idea of the cost-per-mile on my GT3 (which is mostly made up of annual servicing and warranty costs!)

Also it’s been interesting to see how much negative I’ve received from a few people, can’t really see why, but hey ho! I have quite a few customers who run electric, only so far heard +ve.

Don't worry about it, you won't be able to hear the negativity when they are just a speck disappearing in the rear view mirror after enabling Ludicrous+ mode ;)

Don't worry about it, you won't be able to hear the negativity when they are just a speck disappearing in the rear view mirror after enabling Ludicrous+ mode ;)

Oh how true! Had the car for one month and about 2.5K miles, so so impressed, but it’s not just me, few colleagues have now been having a look. Funniest was my Brother, totally dismissive, then saw the light when his ‘(not so) sporty’ BMW got mullered by a Tesla, he’s now looking for one also.

But what a car! So quiet, quick, practical….. can’t see me ever returning to an ICE for my daily, best car decision I’ve made, no plans to move the classics in the garage, but there different animals.

Chris.

Late to the party but I've had a model 3 long range for about 18months. I was an early adopter of the Nissan Leaf about 8-9 years ago and this blows it out of the water

View attachment 164933

Jonathan. Missus is on about getting one of those, I'm dead against it.
I regularly do Newcastle to Nottingham, 165 miles, nearest charge point is about 10 mins away & then you've got to hang about charging it. I don't like hanging around.
My optimum time for the journey is 2 hours, obviously depends on traffic/road works, I've seen plenty of leccy cars on the journey but never been overtaken by one. Does the range decrease the faster you go?
Cheers, Alan.

I regularly do Newcastle to Nottingham, 165 miles, nearest charge point is about 10 mins away & then you've got to hang about charging it. I don't like hanging around.
My optimum time for the journey is 2 hours, obviously depends on traffic/road works, I've seen plenty of leccy cars on the journey but never been overtaken by one. Does the range decrease the faster you go?
Cheers, Alan.

Yes.

165 miles at 60mph will probably knock 180ish miles off the range

165 miles at 80mph will probably be more like 250ish miles off the range

The model 3 long range shows about 330miles on a full charge

Tesla fast chargers can get to an 80% charge in under 30mins though.

Thanks for that @jonathan , seals it for me.
Always puzzled me why they were burbling along when they have such a reputation for being quick,
Cheers, Alan

They are rapid tbf. The long range does 0-60 in 4s iirc

Yeah. But I’d hopefully only do that once at the start of the journey! I loathe stopping en route, always make sure I’m fully fuelled. I look on motorway journeys as time I’m never going to get back so I like to get them over with as quickly as possible.
Alan

Cheers, Alan.
If you are doing 165 miles door to door in 2 hours I doubt you are being overtaken by anything much at all on the motorway :cool:

Yeah. But I’d hopefully only do that once at the start of the journey! I loathe stopping en route, always make sure I’m fully fuelled. I look on motorway journeys as time I’m never going to get back so I like to get them over with as quickly as possible.
Alan

If you have long range and leave home with a full charge you will easily get the 165 miles even at very high speeds. Link shows range at different mph and clearly shoes higher speed results in much reduced moles, same as petrol or diesel.

Charging at a tesla supercharger station at 100kw would fill the battery in less than an hour but you should only need a top up to get back home so a 330 mile round trip in a day would only result in 30 mins stop at a charger.

But if you stay overnight and can find a local slow charger you can just charge as you sleep. Check out zap map for chargers.

There is a tesla dealership just south of silverlink and you should go and have a test drive. You might find you like the idea once you have experienced and you can also check out what consumption you actually get at the speed.you drive at on the test drive. And your wife may even decide she doesn't like them after all. My wife hated them and so we didnt even bother with a test drive when we were out looking at new cars a couple of.months ago. They are marmite.

Back
Top Bottom