What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAF thing eject hole

jonathan

Site Supporter
Finally got round to looking into this problem today on TAF. The game is showing an error for the Thing Eject Hole and it's not firing during games and I'm stumped!

1 - The coil doesn't fire in test mode

2 - Both coil lugs are attached and multimeter shows both are getting power

3 - Coil sleeve isn't binding, it's nice and smooth. Rubber grommet is still there etc.

4 - I've reseated alll cables in the back box

5 - I've soldered in a new coil too but it still doesn't work!

Any ideas?

Check the wire into the idc connector coming from the power board.

Then use a length of wire with one end attached to ground and momentarily brush it against the tab of the coil connected to the THIN wire. It should energise. Repeat at the point that the wire joins the idc connector. It should fire. Repeat at the tab of the relevant transistor TIP102. It should fire. The fault is then between the last thing to fire and the first thing not to fire. Report back.

Where will I find the info to tell me which IDC and which transistor are linked to that particular coil?

To ground a wire can I wrap it around the earthing strap inside the cab or is their an easier way?

Hi, jonathan,

Wpc games will show fusing, connector and transistor details of a solenoid if the Start button is pressed while the solenoid is (or should be) pulsing/selected in the coil test

Great thanks, I'll get onto this again this week. Hopefully it just needs a new transistor

Well it's fixed but I'm not sure how :p

The transistor seemed to be reading the same as others on the multimeter but I changed it anyway (worlds worst soldering job :eek:). I'd already changed the coil and it still wasn't working. I reaseated all the wires in the IDC connector and still nothing. Noticed one coil wire had come loose again so resoldered it. Then tried to ground the connections as suggested above. Wouldn't fire at the transistor or the coil :hmm: Tried another coil and it fired (with a big spark, nearly **** myself)

Gave it up as a bad job and put everything back together. Went into the test menu one last time and the coil is now firing again :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom