What's new

TAF reset Problem!

Tucks

Registered
Hi Guys,
Hopefully someone can assist here as this is way out of my league. My TAF randomly resets itself during gameplay? It can run for days fine and then start to reset itself during gameplay say 3 times in an hour then go back to being OK for a while??
Can anyone please point me in the right direction where to look/start.
Many thanks, Tux

There could be many things causing this but a good place to start is to try reseating the connectors in the backbox, specifically the ones between the driver board and the mpu board.

this is one of the commonest faults in pinball machines - what is likely to be happening is that the 5V generated by the power supply isn't getting through to the CPU.

most likely a connector issue, try removing and replacing the connectors between those boards a couple of times first. ideally you should measure the voltage before and after to see if you fixed anything, and possibly replace that connector too, but start there.

Hi guys, back again. Did a load of testing, re-seating cables etc and thought the problem went away but was wrong. Voltage between main power board and CPU board was 4.90V. The problem has however got worse and what is resetting it nearly all the time now is when you press both flippers at the same time. Does this narrow it down??
Thanks for any assistance.

As above search the forum for resets. You can try replacing the short ribbon connector. Andy N always recommends new header pins and connector on J something or other. Failing that it's bridge rectifier time.

The right fix here is new pins and connectors if you are confident doing this work​

The progressive, but lazy fix could be

1. 400 grit plus wet and dry used dry on the pins. The idea is to clean, not file through the top layer
Isopropyl alcohol to remove residue from the pins

See if this sorts it

2. Clean the internal contacts of the connectors. You need a very fine file to do this. Then flush with isopropyl alcohol

See if this sorts it

3 reflow solder on the pins

See if this sorts it

If this fails then you need a good solvent and heat. 5 litres of unleaded plus a match

Hopefully I wont't get down to the last option!

Trying not to sound a dumb **** here but are we still talking about the connection from the Power driver board to the CPU board? ie J210 connected to J114? (and the ribbon cable above it)?

1. 400 grit plus wet and dry used dry on the pins. The idea is to clean, not file through the top layer
Isopropyl alcohol to remove residue from the pins

No no no no! Please dont!

Buy one of these (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/abrasive-fibreglass-pencil-kr61r), remove the ribbon, and use it to polish each pin. Then wipe each with Isopropol alcohol and replace the ribon, sliding on and off a few times to ensure good contact.

Please don't SAND them.....

If you buy the reset fix board, I got mine from Phil at Pinball Heaven, like many say it is probably not the best thing to do but I got one for my TAF as it was resetting at the show last October, it has not reset since.

If you don't have a reset issue is it still okay to use the daughter board just to give a more stable 5v supply? I don't want to fix something that isn't really a problem. But if there's no downsides to it?

Some may say there is and you may be hiding a problem, all I know is my machine was always fine at home but used to reset at every show I took it to (except 8 bit flip for some strange reason) and since one was fit at the play expo Manchester, it has not reset or shown any troubles of any kind.
Phone Phil at Pinball heaven he will send you one out, or if you are handy at fixing these issues, which I am not, get your multi meter and soldering iron out and fix it.
Good luck with either fix you choose but the quick fix did not harm my machine.

to sort it correctly you need to re build the 5v part of the driver board or as aid said if you are not confident at doing than buy a re set board from phil

Although I'm enjoying the steep learning curve, it is one step forward and two steps back. Before I call in the experts, I have reseated pretty much everything, cleaned the J114 contacts plus a multitude of other suggestions. TP2 only registers 4.91v so I'm thinking nothing from there into the CPU matters as not enough voltage getting to J114 anyway. Does this sound like soldering in new bridge rectifiers etc? I'm not sure the suggestion of the daughter board would work here? Many thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom