What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sys11 w/ Rottendog MPU004 - music randomly stops

Fubar

Site Supporter
Alias
Thomas
My SOF has a Rottendog MPU004 (not MPU9211), and occasionally during a game the music will stop.

This has been occurring more frequently as of late. Once it also triggered the BLOOP chime that occurs when the machine is booted.

Other sounds keep on working fine. The music will restart once a new track is triggered (after a drain or lock).

Anyone had this before, and/or know where to start investigating?

FWIW I've had one other problem with this board, whereby a switch column stopped registering. This was fixed by reseating the relevant 6821 in its socket - not sure if relevant...

TIA

Last edited:
I had the same issue with a rotten dog board in an Elvira and the party monsters I just gave up on rotten dog stuff it proper ****

The music is created on the sound board not the cpu but there’s data being sent over to trigger the correct item. I’d start with the io pia for the sound ribbon interface on the cpu and the ribbon cable between the 2

The music is created on the sound board not the cpu but there’s data being sent over to trigger the correct item. I’d start with the io pia for the sound ribbon interface on the cpu and the ribbon cable between the 2
Thanks for the tips. This rottendog MPU board has the sound board as a piggyback daughtercard with the sound ROMs - took that off, reflowed the power connector and gave all the connectors to the MPU a clean.

Then played the machine for a while and the issue seems to be gone. Cheap^WFree fixes are the best! :D

I had the same issue with a rotten dog board in an Elvira and the party monsters I just gave up on rotten dog stuff it proper ****
Agreed - it's the second issue I've had in only a few months of ownership. What alternatives would you suggest? I understand the original MPU boards are hard to come by...

Thanks for the tips. This rottendog MPU board has the sound board as a piggyback daughtercard with the sound ROMs - took that off, reflowed the power connector and gave all the connectors to the MPU a clean.

Then played the machine for a while and the issue seems to be gone. Cheap^WFree fixes are the best! :D

Agreed - it's the second issue I've had in only a few months of ownership. What alternatives would you suggest? I understand the original MPU boards are hard to come by...
there are still 2 sections of sound for most system 11 games (not including 11c) The cpu has a sound section for sound and speech and there’s a seperate sound board for sound speech and music in various forms.

that’s why system 11 has a music test and also a seperate sound test. These test the 2 different pieces of hardware and yes you do get sound and speech from the 2 different sections on some games but music only comes from the external board

rottendog added a daughter board sound section so they could make all sys 11 cpu variants easily. They never worked right…

Back
Top Bottom