What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Stumblor Pinpoint - A mod makers development kit

stumblor

Site Supporter
Alias
Davey Price
Really excited about this one, and made a heap of progress over the last few days so thought I'd share.

This board is aimed at mod makers, of all experience levels, and monitors in game events (sounds) which can then trigger on and off board actions. This essentially means mods can now have full awareness of game state.
  • 3 x LED ports
  • 2 x Toy ports (on/off)
  • WiFi configuration with live event monitoring
  • Extensibility through LUA scripting and I2C serial port

The first project I'll be working on using this new kit is an adapter for the MMR King of Payne topper to work on OG Medieval Madness machines. Previously, the topper didn't light up when connected to an original MM, let alone show any of the light shows for multiball, jackpots etc. Using this board we can now rewrite all of those.

Last edited:
Davey that is amazing.

The interface thingy on the WIFI is sensational mate. You've basically created a canvas for people to paint their ideas on. The combination possibilities on the LUA are amazing.

You clever bu@@er

Davey that is amazing.

The interface thingy on the WIFI is sensational mate. You've basically created a canvas for people to paint their ideas on. The combination possibilities on the LUA are amazing.

You clever bu@@er

Thanks mate - its something I've been chasing for a while so really happy its now coming together.

Wow - this is truly awesome. How and when can I get one!

Thanks! Still some more testing to be done (toy & I2C outputs) - but I'm hoping to have the first version ready to go in a few weeks time.

Thanks mate - its something I've been chasing for a while so really happy its now coming together.

Thanks! Still some more testing to be done (toy & I2C outputs) - but I'm hoping to have the first version ready to go in a few weeks time.
Let me know when you do!

With the video I just watched, is this board in production now. So glad to see the LUA scripting in the WEB UI!!! Also glad to see the I2C output as well. Since I am new to your patterns and such, is their a link where one can read about the patterns? Also in the LUA scripting example, there was, what looked to be like binary 001001110, for example. Can you expand on that?

Nac

Looks cool👍 When are we going to see a stumbler game rewrite ?? proc, fast or one of my hardware boards, i'd like to see what you could create :)

With the video I just watched, is this board in production now. So glad to see the LUA scripting in the WEB UI!!! Also glad to see the I2C output as well. Since I am new to your patterns and such, is their a link where one can read about the patterns? Also in the LUA scripting example, there was, what looked to be like binary 001001110, for example. Can you expand on that?

Nac

Hey mate - glad you like!

Not in production quite yet, still some testing to be done, but likely in a few weeks time I'll be able to order in the production boards.

The patterns are the same type found in my lollypops boards, and are based around a set of predefined sine waves that control the brightness, spin, and colour mix. Additionally, I've added in some custom algorithms from some of the popular LED libraries. The configuration documentation can be found here.

The binary you see when calling the LUA Trigger function isn't as scary as it looks, I promise! :) It relates to which colours are used in the trigger. 1 is ON, 0 is OFF. A simplified example of this would be if the available colours were red, green and blue, to trigger a mix of red and blue you would assign the binary value of "101". There are 10 available colours, so 10 binary digits.

This looks amazing! Would it be possible to drive a Shaker motor based on sounds as triggers?

Definitely. I haven't provisioned for them yet on the proto board, however (and after speaking with @Juggler Spencer this morning!) I'd like to introduce a more modular approach to the outputs to cater for different requirements. ie: all toys, some toys / some LEDs, all LEDs, some LEDs / a shaker etc etc

I’m in for one Davey.

Nice one! I'll stick you down on the list for when I'm all ready to go. Thanks for the support.

Spent hours trying to get a cut down Tilt Audio to do the same job correctly and along you come with something that just works . Fantastic work. Def on the list for a couple.

Nice! Shaker, pinstadium style lights (but better) and many more in one package!

What's the max. amperage that the aRGB ports support?

The 5V regulator can handle a combined draw of 3A, across all ports.

So in the case of LEDs (normal sized ws2812s) thats about 190 LEDs max. So a fair bit :)

However if the consensus was that more juice was required we could always bump to a 5A regulator like the XL4015, which would max out at around 320 LEDs.

Davey

That's nice. Ill try it on my STTNG as soon as I restore it and you run the production. I think putting 5A regulator might be a good idea as 6812 LEDs are quite common too and 3rd port could be used as a UV light for example.

So am I right in thinking a single board can control multiple LED strips? I assume the board itself has a physical limit, but either way I can think of some cool ways to integrate this.

Yes that's right. Currently 3 separate strips, with a total maximum of around 160 ws2812 LEDs.

Impressive stuff.
You should do a workshop to show us thickies how to incorporate this into our pins 😁

Spent hours trying to get a cut down Tilt Audio to do the same job correctly and along you come with something that just works . Fantastic work. Def on the list for a couple.
Exactly my thoughts as well. I appreciate every mod maker but this pinpoint is exactly my use case.

Particularly impressive bit of kit. It seems easy to implement for beginners with a plug and play style interface, along with scripting for those that want to go the extra mile to really push the hardware.
Well done mate, love the hijacking of the bus!

Back
Top Bottom