What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold STTNG - Was working, now not... time to give in and move on...

Wizbiscuit

Registered
OK, always wanted a STTNG, I know they are complicated, but finally its beat me...

So to be clear, it was working fine a week ago, now it powers on fine, kicks 3 balls out (but doesn't fire them into the play field)... So maybe a opto gone? I wouldn't think its major as everything looks fine (though for you to judge)...

So I will let this go nicely discounted, I just haven't got the heart for it anymore... £1750.00

Problems it gave me before where resets, but not the normal kind, the wiggle a cable kind... so 3 months ago I gave in a got a brand new Rottendog replacement main board and everything was perfect (until now)...

So the good...
LED's
Replacement translight
Oodles of love replacing rubbers
really clean throughout, no obvious flaws
Sideart etc good

The bad...
Glass could do with replacing
Legs are fine, I had planned on replacing them though
Its potentially possessed by the devil
The lock bar is missing the foam underneath, again planned to replace

I am just outside Bideford in North Devon, so come see it if you wish, else one for Martin to collect I guess...

All pics below apart from the first one (its a nice one though :) ) are from 10 minutes ago...

2016-10-20 10.16.42.jpg

2017-01-05 16.47.28.jpg

2017-01-05 16.47.23.jpg

2017-01-05 16.47.16.jpg

2017-01-05 16.47.04.jpg

Isn't there someone who could just fix this for you instead of selling a machine you clearly love??? There must be someone local who wouldn't mind helping fault find for a coffee and cake,,,

If you would like to start a thread on fixing it I would be happy to help. I bought mine from chrisb a few months ago and came across a tonne of little problems including multiple balls going in the shooter lane. I have notes on what I fixed so I'm sure we could get you up and running.

edit: to get you started from Pinside

I bought a STTNG a few weeks ago, heavily routed with a lot of intermittent issues. Mechanically wise, so far I've had:

- check there are only 6 balls in! Mine had 7
pinside.com_img_smilies_icon_smile.gif

- was getting multiple balls launching into the trough and extra balls plunged into play at random points, an LED emitter was out on the trough board (check it using a digi camera, broken they appear dull, should be bright). Also check the resisitors are not broken and the traces are all ok. Empty the 6 balls out, go to you switch matrix and drop a ball in, you should see it pass all 6 optos one by one, then test the VUK into the trough - and check the switch in the shooter lane (mine was bent so not consistently reading right)
- drop target assembly damage. Had to replace frame & eyelet A-14913, and drop target, knockdown arm 01-8647-L. Also adjusted the microswitch so it reads the drop position correctly (check it in switch matrix)
- loose cables on the switch matrix row/column lead to the CPU board. When things got busy multiple rows would activate and the game went crazy. Also pushed in CPU just in case. Not had an issue since touch wood.
- resoldered left VUK opto - check the solder on all of the the optos is not broken, they look ok but if you press the opto you can see it's not fixed
- broken switch on delta ramp - picked up in switch matrix
- new canon actuator which was broken (canon would not turn)

For the trough optos, my next step was to order new ones which are not expensive.

Be sure to read through all the STTNG fix threads on here, I've linked below which I bookmarked. Some really good advice which I never knew was when you go through the switch matrix there is an audible noise telling you when something is not as expected (I never knew this, doh!!). I would advise clearing all the 6 balls out and go through the switches one at a time, if you hear that lower tone beep you need to investigate. Also touch/bang things including the head/cabinet, playfield, toys, etc. and look for flaky switches.

Good luck! Now that my game is running ok (just really dirty) it's a hell of a game
pinside.com_img_smilies_icon_smile.gif

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-keeps-giving-2-balls
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-top-drop-target-questions
http://www.loriengreen.com/2013/09/pinball-maintenance-star-trek-next-generation/#.V0gKAOS1Z41

I have responded now to all personal messages...

Local indeed, Barnstaple is lovely (hense why we came down here)...

I have had this for a few years, always managed to get things fixed (via the forums here, thanks to anybody that helped)... I am sure I could fix this also with the time and energy, but I have none... but my loss is somebody elses gain...

Translite from here - http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/game-specific-items/williams/star-trek-tng.html

Back
Top Bottom