What's new

Sttng Reliability

DRD

Registered
I have been told that this is a very complex game that needs a lot of work as it regularly goes wrong

Might I ask folk who own or have owned one of these what it was like to live with?

I have found that twilight zone, a similar era widebody stuffed with toys, requires far more tinkering than my addams family, scared stiff and shadow for example

Thanks

I have been told that this is a very complex game that needs a lot of work as it regularly goes wrong

Might I ask folk who own or have owned one of these what it was like to live with?

I have found that twilight zone, a similar era widebody stuffed with toys, requires far more tinkering than my addams family, scared stiff and shadow for example

Thanks
Ive had a Star Trek for about six months and (touch wood) nothing serious has gone wrong with it, had a blown fuse and bent ramp- the cannon stopped working for a few hours then started working again- I think the complexity of the game does tend to increase the likelihood of what can go wrong- but I've always found help on how to fix things. this is my first table and was advised not to get one so complex- but I'm really happy with it and play it all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DRD
I've had mine a year and cant say its any more or any less hassle than my other games.
saying that i did put new cannon looms into it.
It is a complex game no doubt with loads of optos

i owned one for 5 years and only ever had one problem with it despite playing thousands and thousands of games on it - it was launching 2 balls into the shooter lane and i was a n00b with no clue where to start. Andy Legend came round, diagnosed it in 2 mins and fixed it in 30 mins (optos in the trough, maybe also optos in the subway i think).

STTNG is all-time #3 on ipdb for a reason, it's a top top title and deserves more love. get one dude, you won't regret it (unless you buy a lemon)

I now have @cooldan 's, apart from some dodgy stains on the coin door it is lovely and has posed no problems. I had to get the caps changed on the sound board but that's standard in any game of this age big or small. Do it, great game, get the out lane extenders. Or don't...

I had a wire drop off one of the cannons, but that was it in about 12 months of owning it

Had mine of @mufcmufc (Nick ) back in 2009 :)
The small diverter in the subway broke and a bad connection on the left eddy switch and that's it after about 7years hopefully :suspect:

Mine has been no end of problems. Fix one thing then another breaks. Spent ages trying to fix a tieback diode issue that would blow transistors like clockwork. Worked for a dozen or so games then failed. Eventually fixed it (touch wood) then it started resetting on power up. Fixed that then getting an intermittent line out on the display. The list goes on, as soon as one thing is fixed another comes in to take it's place. I got fed up fixing it and not playing it! Maybe it just didn't like being in storage for ages!! :)

Hopefully this is the end of the issues however. Although when it's running properly it's a brilliant fun game and I'd be unlikely to sell it.

when it works its OK. big problem when you got them ex op was losing track of balls and iffy cannons.

Just make sure all the optos are working right and it should be fine.

@DRD didn't you just restore a banzai run? Pretty sure sttng isn't brain surgery by comparison mate :)

Just saw what @Sgt GrizZ said but remember he has a boner for popeye so he can't be taken seriously....but like @cooldan's bedside table reading literature when his wife is away, widebodies are the way forward and have more to offer a man....

Last edited:
During the short while I had my STtNG it kept having a few random problems with occasionally launching extra balls. I was unable to locate exactly what was wrong as I rapidly became fed up with playing it and moved it on.

It's not a reliable game on location. The ones I've played at Hayling Island, Birmingham Tilt, The Pipeline, and the same machine afterwards in The Four Quarters always seem to have some kind of problem when played.

It's also a Bl00dy heavy machine to move around too!

Had mine for almost 7 years. Pretty much as reliable as any other 90s game. However, when things go wrong there are a **** load of switches/optos to check:mad:

Had a bit of a love / hate relationship with it for the first couple of years. Overall though I'm still glad I've got one. It's outlasted a range of other games such as IJ, Congo etc. It's a heavy bastard to move though

Back
Top Bottom