What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sttng flippers occasionally weak after rebuild

sclose

Registered
Bit of a minor annoyance this but an annoyance none the less. Recently rebuilt flippers on my sttng - There's no doubt they have more power but, with both bottom flippers, there's a very occasional weak flip. This is making shots to the mission hole a bit of a pain as it can't be hit reliably. Also the left orbit shot doesn't make it round the top of the pops reliably (this one is the biggest pain as it was the main reason for the rebuild in the first place). I've tried the following: readjusted flipper height/play in flipper - there is a slight pull up on the flipper and no friction I can feel. Cleaned flipper optos, replaced flipper optos, adjusted eos switches so they connect just at the end of the stroke, reduced return spring tension and removed springs temporarily. Adjusted coil stop and adjusted bracket at the other end of the coil. None of these has made a difference. I remember reading that the left orbit shot is one of those shots that needs a good whack of power so maybe this is just the way the game plays. Just now I'd say it makes it round 70% of the time from holding a ball on the flipper and 90% of the time from a rolling ball from the inlane.

Is there anything else worth checking here or is this just the way game plays?

Cheers
Steve

The left orbit shouldn't just get round into the jet bumpers, full power should see the ball arrive at the upper flipper with still quite some speed, from where it can be sent up the Delta? ramp (maybe even into the Borg ship, a 'false dot' switch for this game)

Are the lower flipper coils the correct rating? AIR both lower flippers on this game are '11629', the strongest Williams used. The bridge rectifier on the Fliptronic II board may be getting tired

The left orbit shouldn't just get round into the jet bumpers, full power should see the ball arrive at the upper flipper with still quite some speed, from where it can be sent up the Delta? ramp (maybe even into the Borg ship, a 'false dot' switch for this game)

Are the lower flipper coils the correct rating? AIR both lower flippers on this game are '11629', the strongest Williams used. The bridge rectifier on the Fliptronic II board may be getting tired

Thanks man, good shout on the Bridge Rectifier. Will take a look at that next. The coils are the 11629s.

Never had to replace a br on a fliptronic board, lots of more likely culprits before that. Reflow the connectors on the fliptronic board and replace the transistor. Other areas to look at - worn flipper button not moving the opto interrupter enough, new opto interrupter plastic, reflow opto interrupter connector pins. Have you swapped the flipper opto interrupter boards over? That might help rule out a few things.

replace the connector that takes the power off of the power board and up to the fliptronics. it’s the white blue wiring onto the connector J105 on the top right of the power driver board.

Just as update to this - I tried the above fixes but with no joy. Turns out the spinner was angled towards the flippers which was taking all the momentum out the ball on the orbit shot! Can't believe I didn't spot this. Spinner wire now busted but nice strong obit shots! Anyone know where I can get a replacement spinner/wire?

Back
Top Bottom