What's new

Strengthening Plunger - IMDN

James

Site Supporter
Alias
James
Hi all,

I have IMDN and the manual plunger is on the right trajectory but doesn't make it right the way round (or even to the lane drop if that makes sense so will come back round) - I ordered the strongest plunger from Pinball Mania, but seems to be weaker than the Green one used on IMDN... any ideas on how to make the green one have more go? Can I add washers or anything like that? Or is it a case of sourcing a superduper strength one from elsewhere?

Cheers all,
James

I raised the play field at rear to cut down on the power of the balls smacking the glass, was scaring the sh*t out of me, happening quite often on multi-balls. Side affect is now the ball never makes the orbit on manual plunge. I guess I could have turned the flipper power down but the game plays better for me raised higher at rear...
I just resigned myself to going for the skill shot every time now.
Will be handy though if you find a solution to get more power 👍

I see they do this one:-
Doesn’t mention Stern in the compatibility list though

Last edited:
Thanks @Moonraker will try a new plunger tip today/tomorrow, it isn't even making the super jackpot skillshot though, let alone a full orbit, which according to a FB post by Keith Elwin, the manual plunge shouldn't anyway?

I have orange spring.

Easily plunges all the way round the top of p/f.

Presume you have made sure the plunger tip lines perfectly central to middle of ball?

If too low or high or off centre - plunge will be weak.

I will check this later Replay - how do you adjust the plunger unscrew and move around I assume?

2 or 3 screws inside cabinet, next to plunger.

Think this may be your issue as had similar and ball just went nowhere, until centered!

Make sure the 2 prong/fork are making contact with the ball so it his dead centre if not the it hits one side of ball and kills the speed

Huh @BigIan

In my world, manual plunger is as below, the one you start a game with

Auto plunger is one of these driven by a solenoid - which is used for ball saves, multiballs and the like.... you have no control over.

My top one (manual plunge) isn't strong enough but is alinged correctly, bottom one (auto plunger) is just fine.

Forgot to say early Maidens had green springs - now they are all orange ( stronger ).

Ahh - I need an orange spring then methinks, I have a greeny... would that sort it you think @Replay ?

Is there a UK source of orange?

That's actually quite nice @Sako-TRG - @pinballmania do orange springs, I just nabbed the last one though :p along with some EM parts that I needed - £1.50! I would wait until his comes back in stock or if it isn't an issue for you not worry about it.

Pu parts do the following, all in stock:-
I may also order the purple one for kicks 😃
Spring tension from lowest to highest:
  1. Blue (266-5001-05)
  2. Green (266-5001-04)
  3. Standard (10-148-1)
  4. Orange (266-5001-07)
  5. Purple (266-5001)
  6. Red (10-148-2)

I think I've got a spare orange one dood, let me check tomorrow and if so I'll send it over.

The next thing you need to do is upgrade to the bigger coil to take care of the manual plunge issues you will soon be having!

Do you mean on the auto-plunge? Isn't that a @Neil McRae patented repair?

I have to put some highscore thing in for that don't I? - What issue did that cause?

lol no.

On my auto plunge after a while it would brick at the bottom of the gap. Bigger coil solved it but then you have to turn the power down a little so trooper doesn't blow a whole in the side of the play field.

I have a spare orange spring if you want it.
Checked mine and I must of swapped out and put a purple one in there.That spring is power.
It does 3 full orbits off the plunger no hassle lol

I've ordered one now gents from @pinballmania - thanks so much... will report back though, appreciate the offers.

Although, probably blinking ordered something wrong, I keep doing that... so maybe I'll take first dibs once I have messed up my order :p

Another issue could be that the auto plunge 'prongs' are staying too far forward. I have seen it before that they stop the ball resting in the correct position and the manual plunge only makes contact with the ball at the very end of its forward momentum.

Back
Top Bottom