What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stranger Things UV Kit

No they shouldn’t have. The projector is brilliant and the UV kit is the icing on the cake

Should have both in my opinion. I love the game and I like Sterns, but this a bit of a **** take in my opinion. I assume they ran out time and just wanted to get it out.

LE should have everything the manufacturer makes for it. What’s this then, LE+ spec?

Selling addons for their most expensive version of the game is just lol. It’s not as if they didn’t know they were going to do this, the playfield has UV ink on it, which means they planned to do it and made a point of not disclosing to LE customers that it was coming.

Stern borrowing from the EA playbook.

Should have both in my opinion. I love the game and I like Sterns, but this a bit of a **** take in my opinion. I assume they ran out time and just wanted to get it out.
If you’re willing to pay 6-9k on a game then a couple of hundred quid extra isn’t exactly a big ask for an optional cool feature. You could call it smart business, but yeah I do get what you’re saying, it could wind some folk up the wrong way I suppose

If you’re willing to pay 6-9k on a game then a couple of hundred quid extra isn’t exactly a big ask for an optional cool feature. You could call it smart business, but yeah I do get what you’re saying, it could wind some folk up the wrong way I suppose
Not really the point though, is it. It’s more the sentiment.

If this was a straight addon that was offered post-sale like all in one kit, that would be one thing, and purely a personal preference. But the playfield was already inked with this mod in mind, which means they were planning to make it and held it back from the LE/Premium, and didn’t even tell anyone so those customers so they couldn’t make an informed purchase.

It’s seriously poor form and “what’s an extra £250 on a £8000 (or whatever) pin” misses the point entirely imo.

LE should have everything the manufacturer makes for it. What’s this then, LE+ spec?

Selling addons for their most expensive version of the game is just lol. It’s not as if they didn’t know they were going to do this, the playfield has UV ink on it, which means they planned to do it and made a point of not disclosing to LE customers that it was coming.

Yeah this is a bit different but they have been selling add ons for ages. Toppers, shooter knobs, art blades. Plus some people buy additional lighting pinstadiums etc and mods to jazz up their games. It’s not like they are forcing anyone to buy the UV kit

If Stern was to use the EA Playbook, then the next thing is that secondhand machines sales brick the CPU and you need to pay Stern a fee to register it in your name.

Metallica Prem/LE has white, red and blue GI built in. For UV you could just change one set of coloured bulbs out.

The SThings playfield was designed for this - should’ve been a factory feature. What a sad day. Remove the UV ink and give us a discount.

The Flippers also flip, but only if you buy a coil!

Last edited:
20200212_224341.jpg
Stern's response to someone's comment about the price of $280 is either exceptional trolling or shows a real lack of understanding.

FWIW I can fit my light blades with UV LEDs if anybody wants - only $278 😁(seriously, I could, although they wouldn't be interactive, and would be same price as standard £75)

Hardly a 'mod' when the ink is already on the playfield. Do you honestly (hand on heart) not think this should have been included?
Yep it’s not a mod, it’s an optional extra for those willing to pay for it. Pretty clever marketing and business move imho

Again, the key thing here is that Stern inked the PF knowing that they were releasing this kit, held it back from the LE machine, and didn’t tell those customers they were going to do it.

Can you hand on heart say that this is enabling customers to make an informed purchase? Particularly when Stern dish out a matrix telling people what you do and don’t get on Pro, Prem and LE.

Comparing it to a mod, much less a third party one, misses the point I think. It is manifestly not the same thing as a topper or something that is personal preference. They built this in and held it back.

one also wouldn't look like a five year old's bodge job after watching an episode of blue peter.

Again, the key thing here is that Stern inked the PF knowing that they were releasing this kit, held it back from the LE machine, and didn’t tell those customers they were going to do it.

Can you hand on heart say that this is enabling customers to make an informed purchase? Particularly when Stern dish out a matrix telling people what you do and don’t get on Pro, Prem and LE.

Comparing it to a mod, much less a third party one, misses the point I think. It is manifestly not the same thing as a topper or something that is personal preference. They built this in and held it back.

where is the gun to your head saying you have to buy it?

Awwww man, after popping on here I was gonna head to pinside, but this.....this will bring about the apocalypse over there.....no sh1t, there'll be nukes, flamencos, sorry predictive text, flamethrowers, UV causes dimpling etc...I'm off...

Hardly a 'mod' when the ink is already on the playfield. Do you honestly (hand on heart) not think this should have been included?

so stern included the plug for the topper for Star Wars - should they not have included that also? how much was that again?!

It's the equivalent of buying a car and having the engine restricted.

You know the ink is there so I cannot imagine many people won't want this in their machine. It's a money making scheme pure a simple. Just admit it, unless you gave Stern the idea......

COMPANY IN WE WANT TO MAKE MONEY SCHEME - HEADLINES AT 10:00

you mean like _every_ single car made today?

Hold on I’m phoning British Gas

They put a pipe into my house but I have to pay for the gas?! HOLY GARY STERN THAT’S BULL****!

Get a UV torch and tape it to your Barnet it will be like £5! 6 if you use gaffer tape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@philpalmer can you do a Stern Stranger Things special and bundle the UV kit and add the £280 on to the price and call it included then you’ll have a queue of buyers as long as those who want to buy second hand avatar’s !!

I understand why people might think this is a con but they never sold me this feature... and we spend a lot more on mods and other junk on our games than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom