What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Problem - Node 9 not detected at Start up only if machine has been left unplugged and off for a while

cmrl9

Site Supporter
Alias
cmrl
Hi,

I havent really had a change to play with my Ghostbusters very much but since fitting a new node board (compatible with spike 2) to replace the faulty one I had, when I turn the machine on I get a Node 9 cant be found error.

If I wait for it to start, the machine starts without the board, but lights and stuff hanging off the node 9 board don't work and then I reboot the machine, it works fine, zero issues.

I have tried swapping the cable from one port to anther same issue.

This only happens when the machine has been unplugged and off for a while. (weeks / couple of days)

If I turn it off, wait a couple of minutes, still works fine.

Bit of strange one as work perfect, just doesn't the very first time you turn it on, if its been off for a while and unplugged.

Thinking:

1) my house is pretty cold (its northern ireland) and it being off needs a warm up (probably unlikely)
2) The node 8 board is newer and technically a different model number, although I doubt there any actual difference, because of this at first it doesnt have time to intialise because Node 9 is an older board.
3) There a problem with the cable between node 8 and 9, looks like a cat 6 cable but not 100% sure, however if it was a cable problem I would expect continous problems or intermitent problems, not just when its been switched off for ages.

Any ideas?

Don't really want to waste any money on it, as its plays and operates fine, however the new node board is under warranty so if its something odd with that could try and get it replaced. (seems very unlikely)

Thanks

I think someone mentioned you can swap node boards round by changing dip switches, might be worth a try to see if the issue moves with the board.

No expert but sounds like it could be something like a dodgy capacitor on the board that once charged by being on for a while then starts working, and stays charged for a bit after turning off?

I think someone mentioned you can swap node boards round by changing dip switches, might be worth a try to see if the issue moves with the board.

No expert but sounds like it could be something like a dodgy capacitor on the board that once charged by being on for a while then starts working, and stays charged for a bit after turning off?
Thanks, you can swap them around they are the same, once the dip switches are changed

Updated the software, same problem this evening, house really cold, turned off and on three times, working

Updating the software wiped my mates ridiculously high score, oh well 🤣🤣

well it was worth a go with the zero cost option.

The node 8 board is newer and technically a different model number, although I doubt there any actual difference, because of this at first it doesnt have time to intialise because Node 9 is an older board.
this is a possibility, spike 1/2 minor difference?

The other day I went to a call out which reported duff node boards.

The plastic that held the cat 5 cable in had broken, and it was literally not quite pushed in all the way.

They use cat 5 - nothing special.

Also it is worth making a new SD card using the stern site. All instructions on that.

It could also be corrosion on the pins.

Is it the last node board (does it have another cat 5 going out). If it only has one of the two cat 5 plugs being used - swap the lead into the empty cat 5 socket.

Past couple of times turned on no problems.

Only difference is the house is warmer.

If it pops up again will try the cable route

The other day I went to a call out which reported duff node boards.

The plastic that held the cat 5 cable in had broken, and it was literally not quite pushed in all the way.

They use cat 5 - nothing special.

Also it is worth making a new SD card using the stern site. All instructions on that.

It could also be corrosion on the pins.

Is it the last node board (does it have another cat 5 going out). If it only has one of the two cat 5 plugs being used - swap the lead into the empty cat 5 socket.
Thanks, I did try swapping the connection, first thing I tried before posting here

Last edited:
Will revisit with your suggestions if it starts again

Have you done anything else on the list I put down?
Hi, thanks for all the advice it's a capacitor on the node board,(once the machine warmed up, cap charged, it worked fine, waited until node 8 initiated and half the machine lit, then cycled power fine) changed the node board, working perfectly. From looking underneath the board there some browning, might have been tinkered with previously. Don't have the skills to change the cap on those boards the tracks are tiny

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom