What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterns Medieval Madness Remake

strongs

Site Supporter
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question from me. After doing some research into Medieval Madness I found some info that suggested Stern were bringing out a remake but all of the news I can find is from back in 2014.

Was this machine put into full production as I can't find this info? I've seen a few YouTube videos with prototype machines.

Can someone give me more info about this machine.

One thing that bothers me about it is actually the new technology. Most likely a lot of surface mounted stuff that's difficult to fix should it go wrong. And what if they stop producing spares what happens when that tiny board breaks or has issues....

That said it would be awesome to own one. *Stares at credit card intensely*

Reactions: DRD
Wouldn't worry about "new technology" It's been two ****ing years waiting for it so far, so not exactly brand new tech;)

However, your timing might be good as the UK machines are allegedly due to be made in the very near future....

Not sure about long term reliability, but you do get a 2 year warranty with Pinball Heaven.

What is the current price of a decent original Medieval Madness ?

I think I'd prefer an original if they are similar price.

Original is much lower risk. Stood the test of time. Known boards. All manner of well established spare parts available. Established market price. Thousands available.

New ones could be fab. Could be a disaster. The boards could fry in a week. Boards might last forever. No-one knows

Original is much lower risk. Stood the test of time. Known boards. All manner of well established spare parts available. Established market price. Thousands available.

New ones could be fab. Could be a disaster. The boards could fry in a week. Boards might last forever. No-one knows
The surface mount LEDs put me off.

[QUOTE="DRD, post: 144426, member: 1792" Thousands available.[/QUOTE]
Not sure about that, only about 4000 produced originally, and most would have been sold in the US.

the new mmr was only assembled at stern it wasnt made by stern the new pcb systems have already stood the test of time as they have been out for two years for some reason only known to few and not me is uk and europe havnt had there machines as of yet all the us ones where ready last year they will come ive yet to see a mmr le for sale but it will be intresting to see if they have gone up from the origanal price tag

I like what they're doing with the remake but personally I'd rather have an original. Plus, despite what some butt-hurt fanboys think, the original has not/will not plummet in value. If anything they just became worth even more.

From what I hear also, the remake doesn't play like a Bally Williams game, it plays like Stern. So expect a lot of floppy, flimsy action.

Floppy, flimsy action ? That's a bit unfair.

I don't know how else to describe it, Stern's just seem to have this limp, lifeless feel to them. Doesn't feel solid, it's like a toy or something.

Kinda happend somewhere in the SEGA era as the Data East games feel more solid, although the flippers can be a bit too powerful.

The only thing that bugs me about Sterns is the playfield lift system, too easy to catch the cab sides when it's upright. And having to get over that "bump" when you put the playfield back.

Sterns do feel different to WMS games, but then so do DE, Gottleibs etc. For me it's far more about rules etc. I'd put AC/DC above 90% of the WMS titles.

Did MMr affect MM prices? I'd say almost certainly. In the US prices pretty much tanked with the announcement. I don't think we've noticed it in the UK as the remake is more expensive than the original. However even here any increase in supply will decrease demand for the original. If they made another 2000 BBBs I think you would see a huge drop in price for the originals.

In the UK I think we've seen a steadying off of prices due to the remake, but other games such as GOT, TWD, Hobbit etc have also taken money out of the pool and cooled the price rises for top end games.

Like for like I think it's safe to say that pretty much all of us would plump for an original game over a reissue. Problem is how many mint originals are there for sale?

It'll be interesting to see where the MMr price point ends up in the 2nd hand market. I would suspect below the current MM going rate but even then a HUO MMr is probably going to be worth more than a routed original.

I dont think Pete realises Stern still makes games, he must be referring back to the Stern games of the 70's and 80's ;)

Nout wrong with how they play nowadays for flipping a ball, at least none I've played

I don't know how else to describe it, Stern's just seem to have this limp, lifeless feel to them. Doesn't feel solid, it's like a toy or something.

Kinda happend somewhere in the SEGA era as the Data East games feel more solid, although the flippers can be a bit too powerful.
I played MMR and it does have a different feel to an original. Can't really describe it other than it feels 'lighter' , not as solid.

I am not a natural stern fan. Bit flimsy, crappy photoshop art etc. I only have one stern game, a world poker tour.

But to be fair, I rebuilt all 4 flippers with parts from pinball heaven. The results were amazing. The flippers are much more snappy than my wpc games. They have a very sold feel to me. My whole wpt feels like a very snappy game in fact, pop bumpers, slingshots, drop target resets etc

The irony is of course that the best, most responsive, most controllable flippers IMHO are on the bally ss games before the linear flippers came in. I would take paragon flippers over any other game's flippers that I have played. The old bally drop targets areridiculously over engineered, but better too imho.

I dont think Pete realises Stern still makes games, he must be referring back to the Stern games of the 70's and 80's ;)

Nout wrong with how they play nowadays for flipping a ball, at least none I've played

Haha of course I know. I've played loads of recent Stern's. Got nothing against them to be fair, and the rules are obviously much better, but all I'm saying is they feel a bit light and flimsy compared to 80's and 90's stuff.

It's becomes even more obvious when you have a well shopped, highly tuned game like the Johnny Mnmonic I've just done. That thing is so fast, but it feels solid when you're really bashing the ball around and cooking it!

It's very hard to accurately describe what the issue is, but it seems I'm not alone in this opinion so there must be something to it.

Before I bought a Stern I was wary about build quality, after reading negative reports on forums. Now as an owner I agree, the build quality isn't quite up to Williams/Bally standards. There is no doubt that W/B are more solid, you can't flex them as much as Stern cabs when you nudge. But why is that such a bad thing, what difference does it really make?

I also agree that the photoshopped artwork is naff, but the gameplay, sounds and lighting on Stern machines are superior. I have about a 50/50 ratio of Stern to B/W games, but my Stern games get the most play.

I guess if Williams were still making new games they would probably still be the market leaders, with improved sounds,lighting and code, it's a shame it wasn't to be.

The only thing that bugs me about Sterns is the playfield lift system, too easy to catch the cab sides when it's upright. And having to get over that "bump" when you put the playfield back.

Correct way is to push down on the apron to lift the rear over the bump as you put it. Must have the proper slider rails and not the peg system.

i think stern are just about on par with bally williams now they have made some good games mm has dropped in value i carnt understand how people can slate a game that they havent seen or played ie the mmr le which in case your a bit slow on current affairs what not at manchester play expo

MM has most definitely dropped in value since the remake was announced. They were up to £6500 at one point. Now down nearer £4000

Are you sure? If anyone's got a decent original MM for 4k I'd be very interested...

Back
Top Bottom