What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Sub upgrade

Kenny Taylor

Registered
Folks,
Having problems getting a hold of Flipper Fidelity kits and would really like to upgrade the sub on my Tron. My Tron came with a crossover attached to the existing sub. So I guess updating the Stern OEM sub is bound to see improvements in sound..

Current Sub..
89ED6A9A-ED2C-4B17-B96F-29C60F76AAA1.jpegC02B07EE-82D6-47EB-9725-B5645986E89F.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.
Since It's Tron and IMO it has the best music of any pin. Gonna push the boat out and buy Flipper Fidelity as i do like these kits. PU-parts have them..

Has anyone built a sealed box around there cab sub? Been thinking about trying it.

Yes, Scott Danesi ( TNA).. Only machine I've heard with decent bass without an external powered sub

Update. Bought Flipper Fidelity kit for SAM/Whitestar from PU. Arrived and was about to fit it when I noticed the speaker connections on the Tron backbox have been modified to add the crossover that's connected to the sub. I might try in this instance to just upgrade the sub as I first thought. Used the kit on my Ripley's instead which was s straight swap. Why would you connect a crossover to backbox speaker connection. Surely the board has a separate feed to the sub. Any ideas?

Why would you connect a crossover to backbox speaker connection. Surely the board has a separate feed to the sub. Any ideas?
It does but all need filtering to the correct frequencies. You don't need 1KHZ at the sub, similarly you don't need the bass frequencies at the head.

The music and sound affects on Tron are one of a kind. Just want to do it justice. The Flipper Fidelity sub already has a crossover/filter. There isn't a need for two of them?

I guess if the new sub doesn't offer the improvement I'm looking for. I'll remove the current setup and fit another set of Flipper fidelity. Will let you know how I get on.

Here is the sub I've ordered :-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000L984RQ/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

yes, you are correct. you don't need 2 and SAM didn't have a crossover built in. I have a FF in mine and 2 way coaxial in the head. Don't go for stupidly high wattages though as they'll be under driven.

Thanks for the recommendation @Sven Normansson for the speaker from Amazon... put in my SM today.... Looks a bit better than the original Stern effort

Anyone got any recomendations for 6inch cabined speakers for Bally / Williams ?

Picture After/Before

1581270361207.png

You really need to alter the balance with an l-pad attenuator to send more of the signal to the woofer. You'd then turn up the volume to drive it. You'd get one in a ready made kit.

I’ve fitted three of those very subs in different pinballs. I usually change the top speakers as well with 4 ohm drivers and stick an 8 ohm 25watt wirewound resistor in series with the top speakers.
Never had an issue.

Try and choose a speaker with a higher sensitivity, it will be louder for the same input.
You are looking for higher dB levels usually measured 1w@1m.

Will fit them tonight and tell you how I get on. Definitely not as well made or as heavy as the other sub I bought. However I think they will work better in Stern Sam pins..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom