What's new

Expired Stern Star Wars

Expired Due to no activity
Nowhere near as bad a game as many say.

I certainly don't subscribe to the theory that it lacks atmosphere and isn't Star Wars.

It is flawed though. The auto launch and ball-save resulted in many games where I never got to hit a ball, literally 3 launces and 3 autosaves (6 balls) none of which hit the flippers. I'm surprised it was signed off by Stern with that geometric glitch which is so frustrating.

I've seen two other Star Wars models with exactly the same issue but Andy's didn't have the flaw at all so clearly it's possible that some on the production line were okay.

When it's going well it can be a very rewarding game and the shots are incredibly satisfying.

I certainly don't subscribe to the theory that it lacks atmosphere and isn't Star Wars.

It is flawed though. The auto launch and ball-save resulted in many games where I never got to hit a ball, literally 3 launces and 3 autosaves (6 balls) none of which hit the flippers. I'm surprised it was signed off by Stern with that geometric glitch which is so frustrating.

I've seen two other Star Wars models with exactly the same issue but Andy's didn't have the flaw at all so clearly it's possible that some on the production line were okay.

When it's going well it can be a very rewarding game and the shots are incredibly satisfying.
There are a lot on site in London. I've played the one in Brewdog in Shepherd's Bush, the one in Gravity in Wandsworth and the one in Southend (which IIRC is an LE with the hyperloop) - each multiple times.

I've consistently enjoyed every one I've played. It's my favourite modern Stern after the Elwins. It is drain heavy, but I've been practicing my nudge and I just give it a firm tap now on launch and then try to get the ball under control from there.

The flow is very good. There are lots of fluid shots. It's also really atmospheric once it gets going - the modes do feel quite different, and they're often timed, and it does have the fast-and-furious action feel of the films - which is quite surprising as there's nothing apart from ramps on the playfield. Hitting the action button repeatedly to destroy tie fighters is a guilty pleasure. It just feels like there's been a lot of effort put into the basic code to make up for the complete absence of toys. The music is also, unsurprisingly, brilliant due to the sterling work of John Williams.

I always find it surprising how much I enjoy Star Wars as the artwork on the onsite models is awful (!), the pin completely lacks toys and it has (puke) plastic ramps as well. It reminds me a fair bit of Stern Star Trek, which I also quite like, but another level of complex on from that. It's just... fun... for whatever reason. I just end up shouting, and jumping up and down with frustration/excitement, which is usually a good sign with pins - most of the pins we have at home generate that reaction, especially Fish Tales. It just means I'm very engaged in the game.

Last edited:

It must depend on the machine, as mine has never had that issue with the launch, fortunately.

I also agree with your point on it ‘being Star Wars’, it has all the clips, all the music and as a massive Star Wars fan, it ticks that box!

It must depend on the machine, as mine has never had that issue with the launch, fortunately.

I also agree with your point on it ‘being Star Wars’, it has all the clips, all the music and as a massive Star Wars fan, it ticks that box!
Yes, I'm a sucker for (original) Star Wars.

I can't really get behind Mando. Really enjoy the TV show, but the pin feels like you can get a long way just shooting the Razor Crest shot over and over again...

Oh and arguably The Best Video Mode ever……
Nah. The Phurbas in The Shadow and Fish Tales "Look, Pa, water-skiers" take the prize on that one.

I admit that dodging asteroids with the flippers and hammering the action button like a maniac to destroy tie fighters are pretty good fun...

Yes, I'm a sucker for (original) Star Wars.

I can't really get behind Mando. Really enjoy the TV show, but the pin feels like you can get a long way just shooting the Razor Crest shot over and over again...

I had a Mandalorian LE and I liked it, but I needed cash to finish a build here and it was The Mandalorian or Star Wars.

Star Wars made the cut!

Can't the problem with the autolaunch to left outlane be fixed by adjusting the shooter lane coil power?

Honestly we tried everything to no avail. Changing plunger coil power and angle of the playfield made no difference.

The fact that people still post about it on pinside says it all really.

For the skillshot the ball needs to hit the multiplier targets then deflect onto the force targets on the left. Unfortunately it's angled perfectly for a side drain.

It's a bit like a snooker shot which bounces off two cushions then straight into the pocket.

It can be bypassed by soft plunging but it does sacrifice the skill-shot and it doesn't sort out the autoplunge.

Sorry to hijack the post Vee, it really is a very good game and doesn't deserve the stick it gets. I played one game and got 7 billion which was epic and everything clicked into place.

Back
Top Bottom