What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Production Figures

andy

Site Supporter
I know Stern don't release figures but I was just wondering that as Star Trek and Ghostbusters seem, anecdotally at least, to have sold / be selling well are there any pointers to how many they might be making?

I'm assuming they aren't approaching the heady '90's days of five figure production runs, but it would be interesting to know!

Andy

I'm assuming they aren't approaching the heady '90's days of five figure production runs

Well you say that but the figure I heard for POTC was 10,000 and that is now not their best seller. I think ACDC is possibly the highest at the moment.

Well you say that but the figure I heard for POTC was 10,000 and that is now not their best seller. I think ACDC is possibly the highest at the moment.

10,000 !!?? Really :eek: I had no idea they were in those sort of numbers.

I was under impression it was like 5,000 for the more popular titles. And in the hundreds for the unloved ones like Rolling Stones :D

10,000 !!?? Really :eek: I had no idea they were in those sort of numbers.

I was under impression it was like 5,000 for the more popular titles. And in the hundreds for the unloved ones like Rolling Stones :D

Me too.....where did the 10k figure come from @Sven Normansson ? I know lots more people buy NIB now than ever did, but how many do you see on site compared to back then?

Didn't the Luci AC/DC sell less than 200?

What's the speculation on the worst selling recent title? WWF (or whatever it's now called)? Mustang? Did either of them make 4 figures?

Depending on how Stern serialise their games, the only way we will know is if people register their serial numbers on IPSND and we should be able to get an idea of production numbers. However this depends on what they start their serial numbers with and how it continues.

old stern factory surely would have took a long time to churn out 10k games , wasn't there maximum daily production 50 games?

More salt required here I know, but some interesting info if you add up the owners on Pinside to the public locations, the top ten Sterns look like this:

1 Lord of the Rings 1466
2 Metallica 1308
3 ACDC 1302
4 Star Trek 1126
5 The Simpsons Pinball Party 1083
6 Spiderman (not VE) 830
7 The Walking Dead 813
8 Tron 808
9 Pirates of the Caribbean 751
10 Iron Man 665

Where are all the POTC? You'd think if it was previously Stern's biggest seller there would be loads on the market, but they don't seem come up any more than other Sterns.

Unless there are still a lot on site, quite possible I guess, theme would make it a high earner.

Where are all the POTC? You'd think if it was previously Stern's biggest seller there would be loads on the market, but they don't seem come up any more than other Sterns.

Unless there are still a lot on site, quite possible I guess, theme would make it a high earner.
They are in Disney hotels.

I am pretty sure in NZ the major operator only bought 1 in but since it went into private hands at least 1 more was imported recently from overseas. Its a good game as everyone who plays it is finding.
So the rest must be in the US and Europe perhaps?

POTC is a good fun game. It's not got deep rules. Reckon it would have done well on site on release and probably still even now. Mine plays very fast. TBH I played a few sterns at NERG, ACDC pro, Monopoly, Rolling stones and it's way better than those. LOTR was quite good but I felt the playfield was too dark. Granted with ACDC pro my foot was tapping but the playfield/targets didn't do anything for me..

Last edited:
I really enjoyed in and may get one in the future. mine was HUO so too nice to keep. Quite keen on pirate pins , Hook is fun and would never part with Black Rose

I'm enjoying playing my Pirates at the minute. It's a very approachable, fun game for the public to play.

I was in Skegness a couple of weeks ago, and while I was in the Pier Arcade I watched several non pinheads walk up and and have a game on Pirates (and on Addams too). It's a good machine to have on site.

I managed to get to Four Winds Multiball on the Pirates on Paignton Pier a few years ago, but there was something seriously wrong with the game as it kept giving out extra balls and a ball kept getting stuck somewhere on the playfield.

I think Sw and lw3 nudged over 10000. surely LOTR at 5000 is best selling modern Stern .

I was led to believe it's something like:
ACDC (all models) 9-10k
POTC 6-8k
IJ 6-7k
SM 6k
LOTR 5-6k
TSPP 5-6k

The Lower ones being
IM (original) 1k
NBA 700
24 700

Your numbers are way too high.

POTC was 6000 units.
TSPP was 5900 units.
LOTR was 5100 units.

We know this because Stern released the production numbers.

Others are way, way lower.

I have it on fairly good authority that ST has been the highest selling game (after LOTR in 3rd place) and that it's done close to or just over 4K.
AC/DC was supposedly around the 3K mark ... if they'd done 10K, you can absolutely guarantee they wouldn't go for the prices they do. The market would be awash.

AC/DC could of course have done way more and run for years, but Stern couldn't reach a license renewal agreement with the band('s legal representatives).

Re: GB, I don't think it'll be anywhere close to ST or AC/DC, because production has been severely hit during the period where it's hyped up and should be selling like hotcakes. Instead we're getting people (the world over) cancelling orders left right and centre due to supply and quality issues, and a bunch of people are selling it either due to difficulty or unrealistic expectations. That and it's the last DMD from Stern, JJP supposedly have around 2K Hobbit orders, and the Lawlor game likely launches at Expo ...

Last edited:
Your numbers are way too high.

POTC was 6000 units.
TSPP was 5900 units.
LOTR was 5100 units.

We know this because Stern released the production numbers.

Others are way, way lower.

I have it on fairly good authority that ST has been the highest selling game (after LOTR in 3rd place) and that it's done close to or just over 4K.
AC/DC was supposedly around the 3K mark ... if they'd done 10K, you can absolutely guarantee they wouldn't go for the prices they do. The market would be awash.

AC/DC could of course have done way more and run for years, but Stern couldn't reach a license renewal agreement with the band('s legal representatives).

Re: GB, I don't think it'll be anywhere close to ST or AC/DC, because production has been severely hit during the period where it's hyped up and should be selling like hotcakes. Instead we're getting people (the world over) cancelling orders left right and centre due to supply and quality issues, and a bunch of people are selling it either due to difficulty or unrealistic expectations. That and it's the last DMD from Stern, JJP supposedly have around 2K Hobbit orders, and the Lawlor game likely launches at Expo ...

Who are you replying to @ducks? Those figures are in the range that @mufcmufc said in the post above.

Back
Top Bottom