What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Pinball EULA Paves The Way For Connectivity – At A Price

J

James

Stern Pinball Legal Teams
Stern Pinball released a host of code updates over the festive period, but they also inserted the EULA, what does it all mean?

Stern Pinball EULA Paves The Way For Connectivity – At A Price

Continue reading...

Reactions: PAX

This guy spells out why he wouldn't buy a Stern machine dating from about 2015 onwards. Issues with Stern spike / spike 2 system. His assessment seems reasonable enough but I'm nowhere near qualified enough to add any weight to his analysis

that guy is a bit of a clown though.
Is that because you have issues with his basic premise or his questionable editing skills?
Guess I'm interested in whether anyone has had issues as he states with post 2015 machines. Is the quality / reliability of Stern machines a problem?

ATB

I have 11 spike 2 games and had one CPU failure that was replaced within 48 hours. So no I don’t see it.

Stern clearly had a hardware problem around the Star Wars time frame (I don’t own that title) and there was a spike of failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is that because you have issues with his basic premise or his questionable editing skills?
Guess I'm interested in whether anyone has had issues as he states with post 2015 machines. Is the quality / reliability of Stern machines a problem?

ATB

Have you watched his videos?

If some bozo comes up to you in the street and says spike and stern suck - do you believe them? Or is it the magic of YouTube that gives this guy credibility? [emoji1787] (just kidding!)

I have 11 spike 2 games and had one CPU failure that was replaced within 48 hours. So no I don’t see it.

Stern clearly had a hardware problem around the Star Wars time frame (I don’t own that title) and there was a spike of failures.

Yes Neil, you are bang on here.

I can not remember the last we had a node board go down at Tilt, and considering the amount of Stern machines Pinball Heaven sell - not many need new node boards. A few do. I bet if you bought 20 TVs today, a couple will fail quickly or be DOA.

I can not remember the last we had a node board go down at Tilt, and considering the amount of Stern machines Pinball Heaven sell - not many need new node boards. A few do. I bet if you bought 20 TVs today, a couple will fail quickly or be DOA.

Last node board to go at Tilt was Game of Thrones...

Have you watched his videos?

If some bozo comes up to you in the street and says spike and stern suck - do you believe them? Or is it the magic of YouTube that gives this guy credibility? [emoji1787] (just kidding!)

If I believed half the things I see online I'd be sat under this here desk wearing a tinfoil hat, foaming at the mouth :)
In all fairness I came across the video by chance, he didn't ask me to raise a banner for his cause. Even the guy from Stern, to give him some credit, seemed to imply that they could be doing things better. A 60 day warranty on something that you've shelled out a fair wadge of cash on should tell you something.
I'd happily road test one of their pins, they look good machines.
ATB

Good to know, thanks for the feedback
ATB

we have had the node board discussion, it wouldn’t put me off buying a second hand pin, it really shouldn’t put you off buying a PH one with 2 years warranty. @Neil McRae felt the need elsewhere to call me out on being negative on Stern. To be clear, if it wasn’t, I think stern are the biggest manufacturer and make some of the best games. However, the ST add on I didn’t agree with, premium and LE customers should have had that as standard. The Node board debate and quality discussion is aimed at them right now. I don’t agree, all machines need tweaking . On the comments of LZ, it received luke warm response especially on the pro, that’s just how it is and i would be shocked if anyone would argue that.

To the point of the EULA, it’s all about how they police it. If it’s just about ripped code, then fine, if it’s about stopping streaming etc. Would be a real shame.

we have had the node board discussion, it wouldn’t put me off buying a second hand pin, it really shouldn’t put you off buying a PH one with 2 years warranty. @Neil McRae felt the need elsewhere to call me out on being negative on Stern. To be clear, if it wasn’t, I think stern are the biggest manufacturer and make some of the best games. However, the ST add on I didn’t agree with, premium and LE customers should have had that as standard. The Node board debate and quality discussion is aimed at them right now. I don’t agree, all machines need tweaking . On the comments of LZ, it received luke warm response especially on the pro, that’s just how it is and i would be shocked if anyone would argue that.

To the point of the EULA, it’s all about how they police it. If it’s just about ripped code, then fine, if it’s about stopping streaming etc. Would be a real shame.

I would be amazed if they tried to stop streaming. Firstly they'd be seen as trying to control people's fun and secondly it would negatively impact sales.

There is a very good reason that they loan people like Deadflip games and give the other chaps machines in advance of release. It helps sales and helps people decide which title to purchase next. It's incredibly beneficial to have someone film a product then put it on the internet and share via social media with their followers.

It's one thing asking £8000 for one of your products. It's quite another taking the 8 grand then telling people they can't share a video of it with their mates.

To rationalise, are we inferring both systems are as reliable as each other, no question?
There’s still no getting away from this, surely?:
SAM repair = likely less expensive
Spike repair = likely much more expensive

Last edited:
new code coming soon :D
In fairness one of my highlights of 2020 was @Neil McRae singing Disco on a stream once. I want to say "I will survive" - but could be wrong. Not even sure it is on the Disco Maiden set list. Whilst I agree that it is completely bonkers to change IMDN music as it is amazing. It does provide some fun.

In fairness one of my highlights of 2020 was @Neil McRae singing Disco on a stream once. I want to say "I will survive" - but could be wrong. Not even sure it is on the Disco Maiden set list. Whilst I agree that it is completely bonkers to change IMDN music as it is amazing. It does provide some fun.
Stop it...

Indeed, I brought two for Christmas presents and one is DOA !

we now interrupt this for a special report......

"Stern have taken down the EULA"

we now return you to this weekend edition of "Speculation Speculation Speculation..."

The EULA is still online from what I can see. I had an email from Zach Sharpe stating that streaming is okay and should that change they will update individually. I have updated the article accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom