What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Stern Grand Prix

I saw this and thought about it whilst I was browsing ebay. I did a couple of zoom ins and saw that it was very bad.

An expensive lesson. Can tell you for sure I have thrown many pins into skips/set fire to them/ripped boards out many years ago, it of course was in the cheaper days of pinball.

Do not know anyone that has bought from those people and been 100% happy. They seem to always be economical with the truth, and generally expensive.

If you need vpin help, inbox me.

Damn this is so sad to see. Was looking forward to watching this log, have a lot of nostalgia towards Grand Prix. Sorry about the state of the machine dude, sometimes they are just too far gone i guess :(

Damn this is so sad to see. Was looking forward to watching this log, have a lot of nostalgia towards Grand Prix. Sorry about the state of the machine dude, sometimes they are just too far gone i guess :(

Thanks - converting it to a Virtual Pinball now and since as I already ordered the cabinet decals it will be Grand Prix themed (I already stripped, sanded and painted the cab).

I am not normally one for throwing people under the bus but should this guy on ebay be reported? It looks to me that this was a little more than a small restoration project at best. And it sounds like this isn't a one off from the feedback of others on this thread. Dumping your rubbish into another country is an easy way to limit the likelihood that buyers will get back to you. Still it isn't right. Or am I being too harsh?

I am not normally one for throwing people under the bus but should this guy on ebay be reported? It looks to me that this was a little more than a small restoration project at best. And it sounds like this isn't a one off from the feedback of others on this thread. Dumping your rubbish into another country is an easy way to limit the likelihood that buyers will get back to you. Still it isn't right. Or am I being too harsh?

I'm just putting this down to experience.

He did advertise it as a "little restorer project" but realistically it was a "You'll need to remove and replace every play-field post and good luck with trying to get those posts out because most of them are rusted that bad you won't be able to get them out the T-Nuts/nuts".

The thing was fully working when it arrived minus a display (which was highlighted as being missing in the advert) and a broken flipper, which just needed attaching (again highlighted as such in the emails I swapped with him) it was just cosmetically a bit of a pig. I thought I could put some lipstick on that pig and have an OK table for under £2K but it wasn't to be.

I know I will not buy from him again given his "Glass half full" approach to descriptions and I would not recommend anyone on here to buy from him either. I also was a little trigger happy on the positive feedback on Ebay as I genuinely was OK with what I got after I had attached the flipper and put in a display and played a few games but before I started to try and do the work under the play-field.

You know when your head is saying "No, don't do it" but your heart is saying "Go on give it a shot"? I am blaming (and kicking) myself more than I am the seller taking advantage.

It sound very much like the guy I bought my Jackbot from which was an absolute nightmare in itself. I can't remember the eBay username though but it was a similar story to what has happened to you, eBay said it was coming from the Czech Republic but it shipped from Italy and got lost multiple times in the way. So frustrating that you can't set up a claim with eBay or paypal

EDIT: just saw the link, yes that's the same guy that screwed me over years back too

Wow! They look nice, particularly the candy colours, hope I can find somewhere local to Hull that does similar for similar prices - will get lockdown bar, side rails and legs all done in red probably.

Just need to buy one of those star type screwdrivers so I can get screws out of side rails.

I also powder coat all the bits, but the guy charges me closer to £200, but that is also for coin door and plunger, he said all the metallic colours cost more and have to go in the oven several times.
I have some booked in for next week to get the candy red done.
It makes such a difference along with new feet and leg bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_20190531_193126989.jpg
    IMG_20190531_193126989.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190531_193151641.jpg
    IMG_20190531_193151641.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190514_203200213.jpg
    IMG_20190514_203200213.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190119_184819.jpg
    20190119_184819.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 21
Sorry only just read the other posts after you was talking about the powder coating, I hope you can salvage what you have and make some money on boards and parts.
Hope you leave him some negative feedback.................

Sorry only just read the other posts after you was talking about the powder coating, I hope you can salvage what you have and make some money on boards and parts.
Hope you leave him some negative feedback.................

Thanks but I posted positive feedback as my initial impressions were positive once I got it and played it before I realised the playfield was a lost cause.

I am looking at turning it in to a virtual pinball table now and will definitely be getting the metal work powder coated based on your photos and others' recommendations.

Thanks but I posted positive feedback as my initial impressions were positive once I got it and played it before I realised the playfield was a lost cause.

I am looking at turning it in to a virtual pinball table now and will definitely be getting the metal work powder coated based on your photos and others' recommendations.
Sorry to hear about the fleecing Andy
I scrapped a NASCAR a few years ago now
The salvaged parts have pulled myself mufcmufc and Andrew m out of the shiiite a couple of times we call it the gift as it keeps on giving!
Don’t bother tumbling save all the tatty hard ware and chuck them at a decent zinc Coaters ! It’s cheaper than the electric you’ll waste running a tumbler for days.
The cpu in nascar/gp is quite a rare beast it is only used in them sop and LOTR due to the

Sorry to hear about the fleecing Andy
I scrapped a NASCAR a few years ago now
The salvaged parts have pulled myself mufcmufc and Andrew m out of the shiiite a couple of times we call it the gift as it keeps on giving!
Don’t bother tumbling save all the tatty hard ware and chuck them at a decent zinc Coaters ! It’s cheaper than the electric you’ll waste running a tumbler for days.
The cpu in nascar/gp is quite a rare beast it is only used in them sop and LOTR due to the

Thanks - Have listed all the boards for sale at £550 for the job lot. Not sure if that's too high but they are all in good nick and fully working and I need to try and get back some of the chunk I lost on the Grand Prix :-(

Just read this, what a nightmare for you. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Sh1t happens☹️
You did the right thing scrapping it and moving on, hope your project comes out how you want it and your boards sell.
Be good to have a list of shame to warn people from dodgy dealers, not everyone has money to burn😡
Not the first time I’ve heard bad things about the seller!!!

Back
Top Bottom