What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Galaxy - Extreme Repair!

Hi,

According to the manual and a listing of coils used by each game, Galaxy had unique flipper coils, 25-450 primary/34-4500 secondary. You've got one on the left (with the plastic former broken). These would've been slightly more powerful than Stern's standard flipper coil, which was 25-500.

I'e replaced that broken one with a new one from Best of pinball, but they only had one in stock, so I am stuck with the Bally one on the other side for now, and its definitely less strong

Damn you, @lukewells!!! It's 2am and I've just watched parts 1 and 2. It's going to be gone 3am if I watch them all...

But great work. Nice to know there's at least one other obsessive loony out there saving all these **** old 70s pins ;)

I didn't realise you hadn't seen them before, I think I've done a few Bally videos :)

Previously posted:

According to the manual and a listing of coils used by each game, Galaxy had unique flipper coils, 25-450 primary/34-4500 secondary. You've got one on the left (with the plastic former broken). These would've been slightly more powerful than Stern's standard flipper coil, which was 25-500.

I'e replaced that broken one with a new one from Best of pinball, but they only had one in stock, so I am stuck with the Bally one on the other side for now, and its definitely less strong

I'm somewhat baffled as to why this game needed special flipper coils - it doesn't have enormous ramps, or even an 'orbit' shot to the rear of the playfield. Plus Stern were about to start fitting a new design of flipper unit, which used 25-500 (or sometimes 25-475) coils for main flippers.

Previously posted:

I'm somewhat baffled as to why this game needed special flipper coils - it doesn't have enormous ramps, or even an 'orbit' shot to the rear of the playfield. Plus Stern were about to start fitting a new design of flipper unit, which used 25-500 (or sometimes 25-475) coils for main flippers.

Everyone who has played Galaxy advises that it needs to be set-up steep and fast for maximum fun.

I've noticed that the right flipper can whack the ball through the spinner, giving it a proper spin, whereas the left can only make it trigger a couple of hits

When's the next video out, @lukewells? C'mon! Get a move on! Some of us have got a lot of sitting around watching YouTube to do this evening... ;)

On a more serious note, is the video made in your workshop or games room? I thought you'd already built (and YouTube'd) the building of your pin shack?

Also, a technical question, because I like the look of some of your test toys: I just bought a new digital multimeter than can read current up to 10A. Do you need special leads for doing this? The ones that come with it only look suitable for probing digital signals, etc. I like the way you tested the solenoid circuit by reading the current through the under-playfield fuse!

And what other bits of test gear do you find indispensable? I see you using a logic probe and make mention of injecting logic signals (I think this was on a video of yours where you were fixing a Gottlieb digital display).

Loving the videos. For those that really enjoy pinball repair videos I recommend Clay Harrell's pinball ninja site. It is a paid subscription but for $20 ( not sure if that's one off or annual ) you get to all his documented and very well explained repairs, mostly with videos. Currently up to 849!

I'd just like to say how impressed I am with these videos. Have watched them all :)

Great stuff and keep it up!

Cheers,

Johnny

Loving the videos. For those that really enjoy pinball repair videos I recommend Clay Harrell's pinball ninja site. It is a paid subscription but for $20 ( not sure if that's one off or annual ) you get to all his documented and very well explained repairs, mostly with videos. Currently up to 849!
I'd forgotten about pinballninja.com. I was certain I'd donated $20 at some point in the past but can't find any evidence in either my Gmail or PayPal.

Its a one off. Some great videos in there and some great tips

Yessssss Luke lad! That's coming on a treat. Well done.

Played this last week and I can only congratulate Luke on saving this machine as not many other people would have taken on such a project.
And a even bigger bonus is its a cracking machine play wise.
Thanks Luke for saving this from the scrap heap.
Another machine saved for future generations to enjoy.

Thanks gents,

It makes it worth while restoring a game that most people would have determined was beyond economical repair, when people play the game and get some enjoyment out of it.

I've had a couple of hundred plays on it myself, so it's certainly turned out to be worth while for me, as it is a very addictive game (I've never played or seen one before, I just thought it was an unusual challenge)

I'm waiting for some parts to finish it, so part 8 might not be for a while yet, but I am looking forward to getting it 100% :)

Great work, Luke! It sure is looking "Pretty nice!"

I find these older obscure machines so interesting. Often they have unique or unusual playfield features, not often, if ever seen on modern games that just tend to be ramps, ramps and more ramps. I like the U-shaped GALAXY kicker channel on this pin. Looking forward to the full "UNDERSTANDING PINBALL" video tutorial à la Todd N. Tuckey style ;)

Thanks gents,

It makes it worth while restoring a game that most people would have determined was beyond economical repair, when people play the game and get some enjoyment out of it.

I've had a couple of hundred plays on it myself, so it's certainly turned out to be worth while for me, as it is a very addictive game (I've never played or seen one before, I just thought it was an unusual challenge)

I'm waiting for some parts to finish it, so part 8 might not be for a while yet, but I am looking forward to getting it 100% :)

Couldn't agree more.People thought I was mad to try and get Genesis working when all I had was a poopulated playfield,lockbar,transformer and power supply.
Yet it was eventually sorted when I got a cab/backbox,translite,translite glass,speaker plastic(from Dracula),boards,displays,a board from WW made into a flasher board etc etc.
Like Luke,great feeling when it was all finished.In fact it's been to a few shows,so there's a good chance some of you on here may have played Frank n pin!

Back
Top Bottom