What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern book - kick starter project

We are talking about a company that barred Martin Ayub from their birthday party (despite him having a paid for ticket) because he had the temerity to suggest that the 'new' Batman pin might be a tad pricey.

I don't know what is going on at Stern at the moment but it looks like the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Whatever happened to a clear business plan? Required investment and expected return. Because if Stern are so keen for this to be funded, as let's face it they're really into sucking their own dicks right now, and seem to be promoting it shamelessly in these clips, then why don't they fund it themselves?
Someone's obviously already done some good groundwork filming the interviews.

I agree with @stoptap 100%

If they print the book and I like it I'll buy one. that's how capitalism works last time I checked lol

If they print the book and I like it I'll buy one. that's how capitalism works last time I checked lol
I don't think it is the idea of a book being published that has folk scratching their heads Steve (I will probably buy one). The issue is that a company like Stern expects people to fund it for them.

I'm not certain this is a Stern initiative.

On the face of it the company is PaperFlock - a new company that "uses crowdfunding and crowdsourcing techniques to create unique books not available any other place in the world." PaperFlock (I thought any book was unique myself but that's just me I guess.)

Anyway, Paperflock has gone to Stern and said "We're going to write a flattering book about you and give you shed-loads of free publicity, can we be partners?" and Stern has said "Yes Please. We'll cooperate with you fully"

Well they would, wouldn't they.

But the more cynical might think Stern set the whole thing up by creating PaperFlock in the first place.

I don't think Stern set it up but it is a decent idea and when approached you would have thought they would have funded it.

This can be seen two ways IMHO.

1) another cynical 'pay for something before you own it' venture. The firm put all the risk on you, and you don't even get to see what you've bought until you receive it.

2) a modern, innovative and democratic way of driving capitalism which is more sustainable. For example, Pledgemusic has been doing this for years, allowing bands to fund their art projects where funding is driven by the consumer/fan in order to release music that otherwise might not see the light of day.

The bottom line I guess that whether it is 1) or 2) depends on how the vendor views the buyer. If the vendor wants the buyer to value them, then the vendor must value the buyer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's such a small niche market.... nobody will he getting rich from this book :)

That's true, but they just seem to want whatever money they will make, plus all the publicity and the orgy of back-slapping and self-congratulating aren't-we-great-ness that will come from the book, with absolutely no financial outlay from themselves.

Which is all fair enough I suppose, and it only comes off if enough people play along anyway. It's at $30k of their $50k target at the moment!

Yeah, it's not a Stern thing. Stern are just pimping it heavily because it's a good promotional piece to them. I suppose there might be a revenue sharing thing, but it's surely small beans to them.

The thing with the book is... they announced a super limited edition of 50 'LE' copies, special cover, signed and so on. Quite legitimately a collectors item, especially in a run of 50 (though you were certainly paying for the privilege)

Then when those sold out, they said .... well lets make more then!
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball/posts/1716852

Tough crap to anyone that originally bought in thinking it was a limited run of 50 I guess?

Which is exactly what Stern did with Batman66 and what JJP did with WOZ and will also do with Hobbit when they sell out of Black Arrow LEs.

I'm wearing my special LE underpants today with super unique limited edition elastic in them. ****ing LE my ****, the whole Pro Pre LE SLE SDLE SDMELE concept is about the same as what I just wiped off my **** and flushed down the toilet.

I appreciate it's not technically a Stern book but given this is the company that bans people from their Facebook page for the most innocuous reasons I struggle to believe they aren't heavily involved in this project.

Did anyone else get a message from Larson about this on Pinball Owners?

"Hi, I send you this message to inform you that you could buy a Stern Pinball kickstarter book commemorating Stern Pinball's 30 incredible years. Only 23 days left. Be ready ! The project is now over $32,500 funded! Join in the effort and own a part of history here :
If you want to buy the official 30th anniversary Stern Pinball book : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperflock/keeping-the-ball-alive-30-years-of-stern-pinball"

Back
Top Bottom