What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starlink

Rob zombie

Site Supporter
I see Starlink rural is £99 until the 31st. I have absolutely no use for it whatsoever as I'm on BT Full Fibre....and yet I'm strangely tempted. Is there any justification at all for buying one?

That’s just for the equipment, it’s about £80 a month. I can see it being big in the future though.

i know Neil was testing them when they first arrived here. Maybe send him an email ?

I’d say if you have fibre then there’s little or no reason to get this setup. You buy the hw at £99 and then pay the monthly fee when you want to use it. Useful if you are travelling in a motorhome (E.G.)and need fast connection (or stuck in a part of the world not serviced by the telecom companies)

i know Neil was testing them when they first arrived here. Maybe send him an email ?

I’d say if you have fibre then there’s little or no reason to get this setup. You buy the hw at £99 and then pay the monthly fee when you want to use it. Useful if you are travelling in a motorhome (E.G.)and need fast connection (or stuck in a part of the world not serviced by the telecom companies)
Yeah, I have absolutely no need for one. But you never know. People were stockpiling toilet rolls a year or two ago, so who knows?

Tempted also, but appears you cannot pause, have you been able to see differently in the T&C’s or that’s just ok for you?
Loads of people on forums saying they just paused it during the first 30 days. The T&C's don't seem to say that though....I guess we'll find out soon.

Looks like when you order the hardware, you also get a 30 day "trial"... Would be handy if that trial didnt commence until installed/up and working...

And yes, i figured i'd give it a go too... see what it's like :)
Problem is i'd like to plumb into my system, and seems i'd need the ethernet adaptor since it comes with a Wifi AP router with no ethernet ports, and no other way to hardwire.
Will have to do some digging :)

You can use something like a raspberry pi to convert the WiFi to ethernet if that's a cheaper option than the direct ethernet connection for the starlink.

I used one a couple of years ago when working from home as I had a voip phone that was ethernet only and no hardwired connection to the room I was working from and it worked quite well.

just been on the website but it’s not clear what speeds you can expect.

plus the £99 equipment is for residential, but is there any reason why you can’t take the whole setup on holiday with you?

And it says that there are no contracts, so what’s to stop you stopping service after a month and then starting again a few months later. Yet it’s only the mobile service that says you can pause it.

All in all not very clear!

And it says that there are no contracts, so what’s to stop you stopping service after a month and then starting again a few months later. Yet it’s only the mobile service that says you can pause it.
I read elsewhere a post from someone saying they took it away with them in their caravan and stopped/started it as needed. Not sure how reliable their comments were though, it was just a comment on a newspaper article.

Absolutely not needed if you can get decent broadband. Just a waste of money.

Good option for a motorhome though.

Very good friend of mine works within the ocean rowing community, with teams currently in the Pacific and Indian. The starlink maritime option is working incredible for them, and cheap as f**k (his words)

I read elsewhere a post from someone saying they took it away with them in their caravan and stopped/started it as needed. Not sure how reliable their comments were though, it was just a comment on a newspaper article.
Yes I think you can take it camping or whatever. There is a more expensive Roaming version but I think it's slightly different hardware designed to be used when the vehicle is literally moving. So possibly has some aerodynamic features? The information on these things is practically nonexistent

Absolutely not needed if you can get decent broadband. Just a waste of money.

Good option for a motorhome though.
For me is more as a backup. We've seen some pretty crazy **** in the last 3 years so who knows?

My Starlink has just arrived. I've not opened it yet. Looks like you have to switch your account type to Mobile in order to be able to pause it.

Can you share pictures of the device and all interfaces?
I am undecided about investing in the tech when it was mentioned I can’t use Ethernet to join it to my network.

I am undecided about investing in the tech when it was mentioned I can’t use Ethernet to join it to my network.
There's not much to it. Most people seem to connect it to a mesh wifi system and run ethernet off those discs (which is what I currently do with BT).

Attachments

• 429D8016-B98F-41F3-93BD-33913A63C624.jpeg
    429D8016-B98F-41F3-93BD-33913A63C624.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 29
  • AC08A4C1-AB8E-4E43-84F7-92C7241F1CA7.jpeg
    AC08A4C1-AB8E-4E43-84F7-92C7241F1CA7.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 29
  • 6CEB4B80-0CB8-45A0-8874-654C3352D780.jpeg
    6CEB4B80-0CB8-45A0-8874-654C3352D780.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 29
Havent seen a Squarial for a lot of years, not since BSB went.

Also looking on the website and it appears the £99 offer only applies if you live in a Rural area, doesnt make much of a difference to me as not looking to pay over 3 times what I do now for internet, just being nosy.

EDIT: Actually it appears I could buy it at the reduced price, definately wouldnt say I live in a Rural area though.

Just noticed you can buy an Ethernet adapter in the accessories shop for £35

My Gigbit broadband is only £48 a month so wouldn't see any benefit.
My BT full fibre 900 is £75 per month. Starlink is about 1/5th of the speed for the same price. I see this as an emergency backup. No doubt because of the publicity it gained in Ukraine. If the monthly price comes down enough I'd consider it as an all round solution. But currently it's an emergency toilet roll.

I believe we take broadband for granted and it now underpins so much in a lot of peoples houses. I always try to ensure I have 'off-grid' control but a lot stops working when it can't reach the cloud. Last year, during the full fibre roll out, they disrupted my broadband for three days. At the end of that, even the wife was saying we need a sensible back up.
My router can handle multiple connections, but I don't fancy paying extra for the ethernet adapter and then for paying for the monthly charge. For those prices, I can probably have FTTP with one company and FTTC with another, and hopefully, they will go to different poles and give some local redundancy.

Finally got around to plugging the thing inE8D4E2EB-E684-4588-8534-52C84217497D.jpeg

Attachments

• 119187E2-1773-49B5-B677-85F0DE7B2E87.jpeg
    119187E2-1773-49B5-B677-85F0DE7B2E87.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 9
I havent got that far yet... When does the 30 day trial start? When you connect the thing up??

What speeds ya got?

I havent got that far yet... When does the 30 day trial start? When you connect the thing up??

What speeds ya got?
It starts during shipping as far as I know. I've not had much success with it yet. I didn't realise there was an app so just connected to the Wi-fi and that seemed fine. After trying via the app it seems to be forever trying to update the software. Without mounting it on the roof I don't really have an unobstructed sky view. So far in 45mins quick testing my best is 75mbps

Found it... Should have googled... but you were right...

When does my billing start?

Your billing begins 14 days from the day your Starlink Kit ships, and is not dependent on install or usage. You can return Starlink within 30 days of receipt for a full refund. This allows time to test your Starlink and set up location to make sure Starlink is a good fit for you.

Note - A statement will be generated 7 days prior to the billing due date as a reminder for upcoming charges.

I'd better get on with lashing it up then!! However so much for the 30 day "free trial"... noticed as soon as it arrived i would need an ethernet adaptor - Starlink Kit Ordered 29th May, arrived 31st May. So clock starts ticking on 29th May. Ordered Ethernet Adaptor 1st June - Expected "DESPATCH" date - 12-18 June..... 🤦‍♂️

Contacted customer services, however going by reports cust services is almost non-existant (You MIGHT get a reply in 2-3 weeks if lucky), so suspect it'll be pointless excercise and there WILL be no free trial for me!

Last edited:
Pffft. This talk about buying satellite tracking hardware that sends signals into space as a 'backup for if the internet goes down' sounds like people trying to convince their better halves this is a sensible thing. And not an amazing techy toy 😆

Unless for some reason you don't have a decent 5g signal where you live of course. Or you need a backup for the backup 😜

Pffft. This talk about buying satellite tracking hardware that sends signals into space as a 'backup for if the internet goes down' sounds like people trying to convince their better halves this is a sensible thing. And not an amazing techy toy 😆

Unless for some reason you don't have a decent 5g signal where you live of course. Or you need a backup for the backup 😜
Yes, you're absolutely correct. It's an impulse buy for tech nerds. Hopefully I'll never need to use it, but last year the council chainsaw gang felled a tree that took down the overhead cables at the back of the house and we were without the internet for a couple of days. I work from home so that's a big problem. I also have kids who go into meltdown if the internet goes down for a split second.
Now we have full fibre coming from overhead cables at the front of the house. Its unlikely to ever happen but it could go down again. In the bigger picture these things have proven their worth in the Ukraine....and who knows what the future may bring? It's certainly a lot of kit for £99 and they must be making a huge loss on these at that price. I could literally resell it for double or triple that now the offer has ended. One things for sure, if I waited until I absolutely need it you can guarantee it will be either unavailable or 2000x the price.

Back
Top Bottom