What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Star wars DE

Wintonmartin

Site Supporter
Alias
Wintonmartin
This is my first shop log on my 4th ever machine. I've never really thought of doing one until another member mentioned they well document their repairs etc. I'm well underway with it but have plenty of photos and plenty more to do.

I got this off Facebook late summer and was sold it as a non worker and don't think he had touched it for years. He certainly didn't know what he was doing with it as trying to get photos of the inside was tedious and I didn't get any.

The cab is in a good condition with the usual legs, coin door and side rails worn. I will most likely have these powder coated.IMG-20201009-WA0056.jpgIMG-20201009-WA0058.jpgIMG-20201009-WA0060.jpgIMG-20201009-WA0062.jpgIMG-20201009-WA0063.jpgIMG-20201009-WA0063.jpgIMG-20201009-WA0064.jpgIMG-20201009-WA0065.jpgIMG-20201009-WA0066.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't have space at the house so had it dropped at my work. I checked the batteries hadn't leaked and then removed them (luckily no damage). Wrapped it until the garage conversion was done and brought it home.

I checked all the fuses and replaced a few oversized ones. A few holder snapped which I've botched for now to get it up and running.

Set the game to free play and everything seemed to operate. Atleast to get a few games out of while I planned the repairs.20201210_144336.jpg20201219_184439.jpg

Last edited:
20210124_084130.jpgBottom and right side lines out on the DMD. Not sure if this is repairable at all but managed to get a pin2dmd from another member.
What a difference!

Got a new translite from retrorefurbs. I do remember taking a photo side by side but can't find it. I wasn't impressed with the quality when I first got it out but once installed its not too bad. The old one had a few small holes in.

Also installed comet LEDs in the back box as that was the easy bit!

View attachment 20210124_172536.mp420201213_194554.jpg
View attachment 20210124_172634.mp4

Last edited:
It looks in quite good shape. I did a refurb on one of these Sept to Dec - same position as you. Didn’t have the keys so the first job was to drill the lock.

I’ll keep an eye on the thread. Good luck with it and at the end put the home roms in as it improves the game no end.

My only tip would be to photograph everything as you take it apart!

Stripped the playfield down and plenty of broken plastics, lamps, rubbers and even a dodgy ramp repair20210126_205524.jpg20210126_205936.jpg20210201_192521.jpg20210214_124737.jpg20210214_125949.jpg20210214_180505.jpg

It looks in quite good shape. I did a refurb on one of these Sept to Dec - same position as you. Didn’t have the keys so the first job was to drill the lock.

I’ll keep an eye on the thread. Good luck with it and at the end put the home roms in as it improves the game no end.

My only tip would be to photograph everything as you take it apart!
Thanks.

I'll have a look at those rooms at the end. Another cost.....

I bagged everything separately thinking it'd be straight forward but now feel a little lost so starting to put it back together with the easier bits

Thanks.

I'll have a look at those rooms at the end. Another cost.....

I bagged everything separately thinking it'd be straight forward but now feel a little lost so starting to put it back together with the easier bits

If you get really stuck drop me a note and I’ll see if I can dig the photos out. Its worth doing up - visitors like playing it more than Dracula and STTNG. I prefer the Williams stuff.

Cleaned up the playfield, some rails and some metal work. Gonna cost me a fortune in dremmel bits.
Perfect play silicone rubbers going on and complete plastics set from CPR.
The quality of the images on the plastic isn't great but solid enough and the originals are all warped and yellowing.

Started rebuilding a few tonight and this is as far as I've got.

Ordering some box targets, flippers and slingshot switches.

20210214_123005.jpg20210214_123133.jpgIMG_20210214_145338_170.jpg

20210215_225503.jpg20210216_162841.jpg

If you get really stuck drop me a note and I’ll see if I can dig the photos out. Its worth doing up - visitors like playing it more than Dracula and STTNG. I prefer the Williams stuff.
Nice one. I'm sure I will need help with the trickier stuff. I was having a look on ipdb last night to see how close up their pictures are.
I only really got into pinball at the start of lockdown so haven't played many games to make that decision. I've just took whatever I can get my hands on.

Good job so far.

I did a back to bare wood refurb on a DESW a couple of years ago (swapped out the artwork for black (The Dark Side) design from Retro Refurbs).

Took plenty of photos and did a shop log on here - some of those photos might help you putting the thing back together again - though even though I took hundreds of photos during the strip down I still had “extra” bolts snd screws left over when done 😊

And now you got me all nostalgic and wanting to do another. Very simple but great game!

Good job so far.

I did a back to bare wood refurb on a DESW a couple of years ago (swapped out the artwork for black (The Dark Side) design from Retro Refurbs).

Took plenty of photos and did a shop log on here - some of those photos might help you putting the thing back together again - though even though I took hundreds of photos during the strip down I still had “extra” bolts snd screws left over when done 😊

And now you got me all nostalgic and wanting to do another. Very simple but great game!
I've read the log. Brilliant work. I love the darkside artwork too!

Haha well I hope I can put everything back and will certainly not make the same mistake again!

I'm sure i'll be in touch with you also!

Nice work mate. I’m sure you will but be sure to remove any under playfield troughs, ball drops, saucers etc.. and clean those or you’ll have black trail marks on the playfield again in no time.

I've just ordered a load of extra buffer wheels for the dremmel. Wish I had space for a table one

I thought I wasn't going to get anything done tonight so started with some easy bits and change a few Lamps out.......20210218_192857.jpg

I ended up changing them all...
20210218_223842.jpg

Then I got carried away and cleaned up R2 and the death star.

The death star was broken at the top and it had a washer jammed in the broken hole so it could be screwed down and spin. Luckily the broken piece was there so I've glued it back into place and put a 20mm washer either side. I dont think the original washers are enough support for how big it is, especially when the ball twats it!

20210218_235113.jpg20210218_235120.jpg

Another wish I'd done.......replaced the decals on R2D2. But when does it end with ordering more parts!!!

Really enjoying watching your progress I have one to do at some point, I think it was Matt Adam’s one on here where he lightly sanded off the inside of the Death Star and illuminated it, I thought that looked great, just an idea, not like you’ve got much on!
https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/data-east-star-wars.47756/
86CFC85F-7B01-4ABB-8015-99F7C995639D.png

Quote from Matt
Really easy, its basically clear plastic sprayed from the inside. Get some fine wet and dry (1200 grade or so) and in a bowl of water sand the high parts on the inside so it removes the paint from those bits only. Take it easy and hold it up to the light every now and then to check progress :thumbs: upgrade the two existing 44's under the dome to led's for extra effect.

Last edited:
That's a brilliant idea!

I remember seeing it in a sales post and thinking 'my doesn't light up like that'. I just thought there was an issue with the lamps and I'd inspect on getting it all fired up again. The led kit I have came with 2 blue flashers and 2 blue flexis. Think I'll deviate from the kit and have a play around with the lighting when it's back up and running.

I've also decided I'm gonna spray the washer grey so it blends in a little more.

Getting out the lines is satisfying 20210219_223447.jpg

A bit of polishing

20210219_233823.jpg20210219_234927.jpg

Found something unique with the plastics. At first I was a little confused thinking I had 2 slingshot sets.......20210220_002726.jpg

Doing what I can where I can the past few days

New scoop protectors
20210221_101637.jpg20210221_101641.jpg
New cabinet protectors
20210223_131257.jpg

New pop bumper caps
20210220_094653.jpg
New flippers
20210223_133046.jpg

85% put back together and not done too bad considering I didn't take pictures. Waiting on rivets and then I need to polish up the rails.

There's a few things that I don't know where they go. If anyone could help that would be great.

1. Plastic. Not for under the force as that ones in and I don't have an old one that's come out.

2. Gate switch maybe? It was in the bag for in front of R2 so somewhere round that area.

3. Metal bracket. Looks important like it'll hold something together. It was in the death star entrance bag.
20210223_204402.jpg

18F0CB51-CD7D-483E-A3E2-0F8652ED638C.jpegThe metal thing that looks like a switch goes behind the sign with the guy with the orange head (I think) - sorry for the technical terms! Probably just there to guard against the ball flying up and smashing the bulbs / sign / shorting something.

I’ll see if I can see the other bits tomorrow. I can’t believe I don’t recognise the plastic - I put CPR ones on as well.

Yes definitely a guard - I obviously have the ramp off in the photo. I think that plastic could be an alternative one for above the centre targets - it might be a spare.

I've also got that plastic spare for what its worth. That plate looks like the one in R2D2's head that goes between the shaft and the motors - looks slightly different to mine but that doesn't mean anything as it looks like you have a different assembly inside the Death Star to me.

Good luck with it.

Managed to find where the plate goes. Support for the assembly above the ramp entrance.

Still an a extra couple of plastics I have no idea what they do. I might email CPR.

For now I got the machine back up and running.

Few tweaks to work through.....

The death star motor has an awful clunk to it and it definitely wasn't like that beforehand.

A few lamps that arn't operating as they should or need changing for clear/frosted. The wrong ones came in the kit.

The centre ramp was split and a previous repair wasn't great. I wanted to weld it myself........I had a go. Eventually gave it to a mate to take into work and have a professional do it. Saved me €140 for a replacement from pinball centre20210201_192521.jpg20210312_200924.jpg

Rivet setting dies finally arrived from pinrestore. It was tricky getting it into a few areas but really enjoying doing it.20210313_101040.jpg20210313_103331.jpg

20210313_112217.jpg
20210313_160410.jpg

LEDs look great. The cool white look really improve the look of the game. Ended up going for clear in the GI and waaaaay to bright.IMG-20210313-WA0024.jpg

Finished off with some side blades from retro refurbs. Really impressed with these compared to the translite. Give the game alot more depth!

20210314_165417.jpg
20210314_165431.jpg

That Deathstar motor is full of crappy plastic cogs usually with the teeth worn down. Massively temperamental. Mines clunky sometimes after the playfield has been up.

The machine is looking good though.

I've come to this a bit late, but excellent work. I restored my DESW back in Sept-Dec 2019. Yours looked in better condition than mine and I paid £1700. How much did you pay?
Love the Blades, I was considering getting them myself - Think I will now. I also changed to a Colour DMD but not sure if that has added anything to the game plus it doesn't work in service mode as the screen is just blank.

I've come to this a bit late, but excellent work. I restored my DESW back in Sept-Dec 2019. Yours looked in better condition than mine and I paid £1700. How much did you pay?
Love the Blades, I was considering getting them myself - Think I will now. I also changed to a Colour DMD but not sure if that has added anything to the game plus it doesn't work in service mode as the screen is just blank.
Thanks! I got it around this time last year and paid £2k for it.
The sides blades are great. Much better quality than the translite.
Yea the menu issue is a pain on the DMD. I swapped the batteries over recently so lost the settings and have to coin it up to get credits.
The reason why I've not finished this log is due to the fact I'm not running 1.07!!!
Does anyone know where I can get roms? Pinball center and ministry of Pinball have them but postage is crazy.
I also have a ROM writer I bought about 10 years ago for a project but never used it. Is it hard to do?

Back
Top Bottom