What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Post LED - Order Now

Stupid question time Luke, but just so i'm 100% clear.

The mini PCB which sits in the bottom of the star post has a coloured LED on it - so I can buy a mixture of colours and then choose to fit them to my own star posts. I can either colour match the posts or just use clear for a differing effect?

I might well have a look over my playfield and see if I can figure out where else some colour might work nicely. I was planning on getting rid of most of the DE metal/rubber posts and changing those for star posts. I was thinking blue around the slings and possibly some red up near the pop bumpers. Maybe some purple below the Nell Log assembly too.

Stupid question time Luke, but just so i'm 100% clear.

The mini PCB which sits in the bottom of the star post has a coloured LED on it - so I can buy a mixture of colours and then choose to fit them to my own star posts. I can either colour match the posts or just use clear for a differing effect?

I might well have a look over my playfield and see if I can figure out where else some colour might work nicely. I was planning on getting rid of most of the DE metal/rubber posts and changing those for star posts. I was thinking blue around the slings and possibly some red up near the pop bumpers. Maybe some purple below the Nell Log assembly too.

Funny enough Daz has just been round for an emergency board repair, and he's spent the last hour playing with my demo board putting different coloured posts ontop of different coloured lights :rofl:

We have both concluded that the fluorescent green and fluorescent pink/orange posts look awesome on the UV lights, and the only other acceptable colour to go with the UV is clear, which gives you just a very subtle glow.

So in answer to your question, yes the mini pcbs have colored LED's on them. You can buy any mix of colours you want and fit them inside any coloured post you want (or clear) The first 2 photos on this thread shows the difference between using clear and coloured posts.

Also funny enough I was showing Daz my RAB and pointing out that I am going to replace all the nasty DE metal posts with coloured star posts and illuminate them. RAB uses so many colours on the playfield that you could get away with pretty much any combination of post colours you want. I am going to mix mine up abit.

Thanks for confirming that Luke.

Playfield rebuild on mine is a long way off but i'd be stupid not to get these ordered in whilst there is a run being done. Will take a look over the next few days and try to figure out what I want/need.

Thanks for confirming that Luke.

Playfield rebuild on mine is a long way off but i'd be stupid not to get these ordered in whilst there is a run being done. Will take a look over the next few days and try to figure out what I want/need.

Cool, if you want to run any ideas by me let me know as mine is fully assembled

Wow, these look great! Would love them in my SWT but now I've checked, I can't see a single star post in the machine, the posts are are solid steel with rubber coating. I guess Sega used their own type :eek:

Great stuff though Luke, am super jealous and would totally have some otherwise as they seem a perfect fit for the Star Wars theme!

Cheers,

Johnny

@jww I think those steel and rubber posts are the same ones that they use on the Data East tables too.

So far as i'm aware you can easily change them out for regular star posts. The central metal post unscrews and pulls up and can then be insert into a new star post before being secured back in place.

I'm planning on doing just that with my Rocky & Bullwinkle when I rebuild it because the original metal + rubber posts are so dull. (I'll be keeping them somewhere safe though because i'm told they are impossible to find anywhere).

Reactions: jww
thinking of putting uv in the Diner ,which i know will make all the orange on the playfield / plastics pop out !! .

one slight prop with that is i cannot remember if there is a security code on the playfield just above the flippers, its only
visable under UV light . STTNG and TAF have one on , that i do know of .

Wow, these look great! Would love them in my SWT but now I've checked, I can't see a single star post in the machine, the posts are are solid steel with rubber coating. I guess Sega used their own type :eek:

Great stuff though Luke, am super jealous and would totally have some otherwise as they seem a perfect fit for the Star Wars theme!

Cheers,

Johnny

As wiredworm has said above, I think that starposts can just be swapped in. I've got a Sega Starship Troopers in the workshop, so I can check them for fit :)

Reactions: jww
Just a quick update as a lot of people have asked.

Unfortunately I hit a couple of delays due to big life events.

The factory are currently cutting out a large number of the star post boards, and I am working on a second revision of the power supply prototype still. The new design will have an optional plug in dimmer, so you can decide to upgrade at any point to the dimable version, and you just pay for the dimmer module.

I'll give you an update on the next big event

I am working on a second revision of the power supply prototype still. The new design will have an optional plug in dimmer, so you can decide to upgrade at any point to the dimable version, and you just pay for the dimmer module.

That's twisted my arm :thumbs:

Let me do a tally of what i might want and get back to you.

Update :-

A large number of blank type A PCBs have arrived

IMG_20150806_174409 (Small).jpg

Extra thin type B PCB prototypes have arrived for testing

IMG_20150806_174656 (Small).jpg

Power supply prototype stress-testing in various machines (yes in the Star Wars kitchen! ;) )

IMG_20150802_202837 (Medium).jpg

Keen to get some Type 1 Clears in my Data East Star Wars Luke. The only problem is I'm not sure how many star posts are on a DESW since mine is all in bits, any chance you could check on yours? ;)

Am I right in saying these tie into the GI and dim with them etc etc?

Correct, though LED's dont behave the same as bulbs, so you do get a different effect on some games.

Example, on Taxi, there are times when it strobes the GI relay to dim the bulbs, and instead you get the posts flash brightly while the GI dims out, looks cool like that

Keen to get some Type 1 Clears in my Data East Star Wars Luke. The only problem is I'm not sure how many star posts are on a DESW since mine is all in bits, any chance you could check on yours? ;)

Not very many as mine mostly has metal posts. Going to replace as many as I can with star posts, I'll let you know how many when I get round to doing that ;)

So I used my new Type B lights on my Stern Galaxy, as there were several dark patches on the playfield, particularly around the upper right targets.

This is before

DSC_9074 (Medium).JPG

This is with just the star posts lit

DSC_9114 (Medium).JPG

This is the after with the GI on :)

IMG_8812 (Medium).JPG

This is what it looks like with the strip lighting above turned on (so a brightly lit room)

IMG_8840 (Medium).JPG

:D:D:D:D:D

Looks amazing Luke. Any ideas on how long before you'll be taking orders for these?

I've just put an order in for various parts for R&B so I included some blue and clear star posts so I can swap out the original metal DE posts on mine when I do the rebuild. Of course it would be perfect if I could get the illuminated star posts in place at the same time whilst doing the rebuild.

Sorry guys for the slow updates on this one. So much going on at the moment.

Latest news is that a lifetime supply of the Type B boards have just arrived :-

IMG_20151002_190220 (Medium).jpg IMG_20151002_190220 (Medium).jpg

Whoop whoop. Can't wait to get these!! I'm loving Taxi right now and need these in my life :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom