What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stairs Solution - Winch

Rob zombie

Site Supporter
With Martin’s current policy of not entering people’s houses (general social distancing) I’m having to improvise an engineering solution to the the problem of getting pinball machines up and down my basement stairs. I’ve ordered a 540kg capable auto braked hand winch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DTDJ6QO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FGJ8EbQFT9Z6Z which seems like it should be capable of the job.

So I’m thinking about building a sort of crucifix shaped timber platform to support it. One beam going across the doorway at the top of the stairs. The other beam facing towards the stairs preventing torsional rotation of the winch itself.

The idea would be that the pinball machine is either sliding up the stairs or rolling up the stairs on that Costco truck. Me underneath pushing. The wife up top on the winch.

From an engineering perspective does this sound viable? Am I missing anything? Anything I haven’t considered?

Ah the problems our hobby creates.
This house was meant to be easy getting pins in and I have done it in my own coming up but the path is treacherous and we nearly lost Cooldan and AFM the last time pin left.
I was thinking about turning a sack barrow into a cradle that holds them in. Welding on a tow hitch up top and driving it out with a much truck.
But I can’t weld.

Reading your solution, I see Cooldan falling over and being squashed by a rotating pin again.

Ah the problems our hobby creates.
This house was meant to be easy getting pins in and I have done it in my own coming up but the path is treacherous and we nearly lost Cooldan and AFM the last time pin left.
I was thinking about turning a sack barrow into a cradle that holds them in. Welding on a tow hitch up top and driving it out with a much truck.
But I can’t weld.

Reading your solution, I see Cooldan falling over and being squashed by a rotating pin again.

Ahh Cooldan where for art thou? And Sgt Grizz too!? I don’t think my wife will let me drive an actual truck through the kitchen, but I could theoretically run a cable up the stairs, through the kitchen, out through the extractor fan and attach to a car on the driveway. I guess that’s a B Plan.

didn't consider an Escalera?

are you sure the door way will be strong enough? and what about wall damage?

didn't consider an Escalera?

are you sure the door way will be strong enough? and what about wall damage?

I’ve looked into Escalera’s. The cost is insane and most people still seem to find them unnerving. I’m definitely ruling that out as an option. It would be more cost effective to move house.

The walls I’m considering bracing up against are solid structural walls that have been there since 1850. The lower skirting boards are solid granite tiled so should be ok. Structurally in terms of the house I’m not worried. I’m more concerned about what happens if the winch fails or the webbing snaps. It’s highly unlikely but worth planning for, especially if there’s a chance of the strap and hook flying back at my wife. I’m thinking of feeding the strap through the handle of an Olympic spec kettlebell so if it snaps back it will get stopped before it reaches the winch operator. Lots of considerations.

Last edited:
Btw how much did you tell your wife your pins cost? So we have a head start on bidding for them when you are dead zombie [emoji3446][emoji1787][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Btw how much did you tell your wife your pins cost? So we have a head start on bidding for them when you are dead zombie [emoji3446][emoji1787][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can you get life insurance against the hazards of moving pinball machines downstairs?

Do you not have somewhere else it can go until you can get someone to help you move it (and 2m distancing changes to 1m+).

Whereabouts do you live? I see your profile says "Cheshire" but a little bit more specific,
I have no issues with coming around and helping you if you need help, especially as we will be at 1m distance soon.

Whereabouts do you live? I see your profile says "Cheshire" but a little bit more specific,
I have no issues with coming around and helping you if you need help, especially as we will be at 1m distance soon.

Macclesfield. I could get help but I hate being reliant on other people, so I’m really trying to engineer a solution to this problem. I also see it as a challenge to solve that problem for the least possible expenditure so that other people can replicate it. But replicate it safely. Safety is the priority here. This is why I’m asking really in case anyone can foresee a problem with the design before I start cutting bits of wood and the budget starts spiralling.

Can you get life insurance against the hazards of moving pinball machines downstairs?

Do you not have somewhere else it can go until you can get someone to help you move it (and 2m distancing changes to 1m+).

Unfortunately there is no escape from stairs in this house. It has to come in or out through the kitchen which then has stairs up to the living room floor or stairs down to the basement. Over a hundred stairs in this house on six different levels.

I used to have my pins upstairs and was a right pain and a bit risky. Built a room in my garage and made it too easy🤷‍♂️
Think you are going to have risks whatever way you get up and down the stairs.

With Martin’s current policy of not entering people’s houses (general social distancing)

Me underneath pushing. The wife up top on the winch.

From an engineering perspective does this sound viable? Am I missing anything? Anything I haven’t considered?

Yes, wife not strong enough to operate the winch or runs out of stamina half way through leaving you stuck under a pin...

How about waiting a few weeks until lockdown is over / Martin entering peoples houses again and the problem goes away?

Easier to move house IMO @Rob zombie

Yeah we’re hopefully moving to North Wales later in the year or early next year. That might spell the end of pinball for me unfortunately but desperately need to downsize to curtail my hoarding/collecting instinct.

********. We looked at an amazing house at the end of last year. It was quite a bit more than our current house, but affordable. Had an amazing space for 6 pinballs comfortably. I would have had to sell them now though, to make the stamp duty (plus much more to be honest). Now we are going to use the stamp duty money for an extension here and keep the pins. It's a pooper though.

If that pinball champ needs a home though, I'll give it somewhere warm to sleep for a while.

If you want to lift a pinball up stairs on your own you need one of these power mate stair climbing barrows !
It climbs or descends the stairs one or two stairs at a time (if you’re feeling brave).
It’s Made by Stanley handling in Luton who sometimes have reconditioned models.
Our one has to be at least 25 years old & still climbs stairs easily.
Also takes fruit machines, jukeboxes etc.
Keep an eye open at machinery auctions if you fancy one as they often come up at a reasonable price.
They are really no use as an ordinary everyday sack barrow as they are too heavy & don’t manoeuvre easily but brilliant for lifting machines upstairs as you don’t have to rely on anyone for help, although it can be handy someone standing steadying the bottom of the machine if lifting something really big & heavy (like a galaxy jukebox) !
Picture is from eBay !

Attachments

• 1BF4D16F-679B-4B8E-B4B0-03B0804F9AC9.jpeg
    1BF4D16F-679B-4B8E-B4B0-03B0804F9AC9.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 43
Too much money mate. I buy a new machine about once or twice a year tops. I think I can do the same thing for a fraction of the cost. Plus the added safety of it being braced at the top. Just been testing the winch :)
91C11BA9-C098-4E29-8CE3-68100C55CBA6.jpeg

Wtf !! Just spotted this ,lol
Need more info on this ,need some pics of the layout like landing ,doorway etc . Are you sliding it up standing up our lying flat etc . I have a funny feeling that it could flip over once it is at the top . What are all your anchor points like newel posts .

Wtf !! Just spotted this ,lol
Need more info on this ,need some pics of the layout like landing ,doorway etc . Are you sliding it up standing up our lying flat etc . I have a funny feeling that it could flip over once it is at the top . What are all your anchor points like newel posts .

Ok so up top we have solid walls to brace accross with a pole that the winch will be on:
0401F1A4-C794-4F6B-B68A-A812657F7D5A.jpeg
And then I’m thinking of having the machine either on a Cosco sack truck which has 4 wheels, or just flat on its own with a strap and a Stern cardboard box laid down the stairs. Options options.
0401F1A4-C794-4F6B-B68A-A812657F7D5A.jpeg0A11BC28-C5AB-4E82-8632-7E637FB6273C.jpeg56EAA354-EF41-4DDA-B152-8B303D5ACD73.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom