What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SST bad flipper

Jetsetron

Registered
Haven’t turned my SST on for a few months. It lives in the garage (it has tubular heaters in there but is cold).

Turned it on for a play today, the left flipper was not behaving right. Sometimes it didn’t react to the button press, sometimes did and flickered a bit, after messing around for 5 minutes you could occasionally get it to ‘hold’ in the up position.

Any advice on what to check and replace?

Thank you.

I thought I'd cured my DE TFTC flipper problems. Have I heck. Lazy and weak flippers I turned it off in disgust and not touched it since.

Thanks for the replies guys. I got some very fine sandpaper and cleaned the contacts on the EOS switch and the flipper button too, all working now.

Wish they were all this easy!

Ya shouldn't have to use abrasives, it can knacker the co facts.
A white business card should suffice to clean those kind of switches, iirc

Super, super lucky that it was just the EOS contacts. I'm at the point with Steve's SST where there's either a momentary partial short in the cabinet/playfield wiring somewhere - or there's something on the MPU or the power board that starts to fail when warm, but not actually warm enough to stand out using an IR camera.

Cursed thing.

Yeah, I found that bulletin when I was investigating. Flippers are all new. Replaced almost everything on the SSFB. Did I test the bridge? DB1 by the looks of things. Not sure, I reflowed the connectors to the PS board incase of a cold joint. I think I started losing the will to live and reassembled. It worked fine for a while.
Fixed!

Nope.

It's an intermittent fault and didn't start playing up until the next time I switched it on. I told it to go "Boil it's 'ead" and left it switched off.
I'll replace the bridge on the PS and go with this suggestion....

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 14.15.36.png

Last edited:
I'll replace the bridge on the PS and go with this suggestion....
That's solid advice for this particular fault.
The only problem with Steve's SST is that it's showing this issue with a Rottendog driver board in it... same issue? At this point I can't exactly rule it out.

I can see you dumping the Rottendog and chasing the original board then in that case.... I hear varied things about them. Do let us know if you do chase down the fault.

I can see you dumping the Rottendog and chasing the original board then in that case.... I hear varied things about them. Do let us know if you do chase down the fault.
Sega Whitestar board set. Easier said than done.

The only spares we have are solid 'barn find' material and are dead for multiple reasons.

But stay tuned because that's just a tougher project for me, not impossible...

Back
Top Bottom