What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider-Man Doc Ock issue

Andy Hancock

Site Supporter
Guys I'll start by saying I'm completely useless and unless it's really easy won't be able to fix this myself but @mark adams will be coming to help me at some point and maybe both my post and any answers might help when he does.

Doc Ock starts raised as it should and first shot into saucer sets it up as it should but then it seems like magnet isn't working as no subsequent shots get held there (although they do bounce out sometimes anyway due to wear on magnet)

However, even if I don't hit Doc Ock after setting it up it just randomly starts the feature pretty soon anyway. Then it keeps triggering it and gives me jackpots and super jackpots pretty quick.

Does the same on the second and third doc Ock feature . All normal until primed and then no ball caught but triggers itself very quick.

I've cleaned the opto on the way in and also checked connections to opto board and reseated them,

Apologies if above makes no sense and I'm sure Mark will fix it but any suggestions will hopefully help me or him

Cheers
Andy

Is the opto still working? I had a problem with this shot and needed to change the opto over. quick and simple to do

Cheers John . I don't think so but at the risk of sounding stupid (actually I don't care!) how do I check for sure ?

Use a digital camera and see if it's glowing. Not sure if you can use a phone to do this as some phones don't show the light up (check it against one that you know is working)

Also go into switch test mode and see if it registers if you break the beam

Use a digital camera and see if it's glowing. Not sure if you can use a phone to do this as some phones don't show the light up (check it against one that you know is working)

Also go into switch test mode and see if it registers if you break the beam

I've used a phone on BSD Opto s and it works

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it's registering hits with the doc down then the opto sounds good. I'd check the magnet fuse 1st and then check it works in test menu.

It's registering hits in the saucer but not when doc Ock down . Are both triggered by opto?
Ok, opto then. Are you double sure the magnet actually works? Should be simple to find the switch test for opto and magnet test in coils.

I had a few opto connectors dropping out of their little amplifier boards underneath the playfield. The golden cables and white connectors can be quite loose and SM can be full of vibrations to assist the loosening.

Last edited:
Fuse ok . Magnet works . In switch test mode passing object between optos does nothing so I assume it's optos!

Active switches test cycles round a few switches including doc Ock opto though . Sorry if that's irrelevant but I am learning!

Sorry Andy. I don't know spiderman well enough to be able to offer my advice really. But I've never had an opto fail on a game yet. Had to clean them but it usually turns out to be a wire off in the local area.

Sorry Andy. I don't know spiderman well enough to be able to offer my advice really. But I've never had an opto fail on a game yet. Had to clean them but it usually turns out to be a wire off in the local area.
Thanks Daren

I was joking !

But will have another look this weekend

Try cleaning the opto lenses with a q-tip - ideally with isopropyl alcohol, but if not perhaps window cleaning or glass cleaning fluid

Correct me if I'm wrong but all the Stern optos I've ever seen glow with visible red light anyway so the camera trick is redundant. If you can't see red light from the transmitter side of the opto coupling then something is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom