What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sometimes LEDs are ace

I once played this at the Pinball Parlour and whilst very different, seemed a fun game. Would be good to play again to see how much distance it has.

LEDs make everything awesome.

In general I don't like LEDs. There, I've said it.

Other than on a few specific occasions (such as the Cyclone back box wheel to stop lamp feedback through the speakers, or the X-Files 'X' to make it stand out through the green filters) I wouldn't fit them to any of my games.

When I've bought a game with LEDs I've either put up with them or taken them out and put incandescent bulbs back in, one game I did this on was T3, and I ironically I thought they actually suited T3 quite well but there was the issue of LED ghosting with the Whitestar boardset, which I did try to fix but couldn't so out they came. How do people put up with ghosting LEDs???

Anyway does anyone else dislike them or is it (as I fear.....) just me?

I don't, and don't know how anyone does. Buy and fit LED's that actually do not ghost as apposed to just claiming not to ghost, or if its a 90's B/W machine fix it with a ROM swap from @Paul
Ohhh you can do that? @Paul I have a fishtales with leds but yeah there is some flickering etc, is there a fix with roms? I don't know what make the leds are as it came with them, but it would be amazballs if I can fix it this way! Cheers @kevlar for the info!!

@Paul would this work on fishtales? Mine came with leds but suffers the usual issues. @kevlar I owe you a pint if this comes good!!
Then you owe me a pint :D. I sorted out the ghosting on @PinballDaze's Fish Tales just a few weeks ago with a ROM from Paul, all ghosting gone..

I should add that it works most of the time, I have done it on Getaway, shadow and Fishtales, all worked great. It did not work on my TOM though, tried 3 different ROMs, ghosting reduced but still there. Fixed that by fitting LED's that don't ghost.

Yea the ROM fix will work for sure. Early WPC titles had a bug in the lamp matrix code that was fixed in the later titles. The patch effectively replaces the old code with the later and actually runs more efficiently. I had to do this with my T2 and now its spot on. :thumbs:

Then you owe me a pint :D. I sorted out the ghosting on @PinballDaze's Fish Tales just a few weeks ago with a ROM from Paul, all ghosting gone..
Great news! Cheers mate! For a second pint can you tell me if I'd need to do anything to the roms on btdk if I was to led it out? After seeing your sterns beaming away at the party I have to agree with you btdk would suit leds and look awesome!

No LEDs for me cheers! I like the soft glow they should have ;) Nothing worse than a glaring bright LED! Too modern! It's like people that retro fit HIDs/Zexons to older cars.....NOOOOO!

Just my opinion obviously lol

Dunc

Can't fix a Stern with a ROM swap sorry. Buy the right LEDs that don't ghost or if you are feeling flush buy an LED OCD board as fitted by @windoesnot to his LOTR recently.

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/led-ocd-board-review.20778/

Cannot endorse the LED OCD board enough. Both the WPC and Stern models. You don't need the ghosting LEDs though - they're actually worse with it. I might have a couple of the WPC LEDOCD boards spare/forsale since selling TZ & TAF, need to rummage through some boxes...

Not sure i get it.

You buy a wee board at about £100 to make the more expensive LEDs look like the cheaper lamps ?
not sure I see the point or benefit.

I was thinking of putting some LEDs into my DE Star Wars or maybe Star Trek TNG might have to rethink or at least do some research now

I think it depends on how much you like and value a machine to see it worth putting an OCD board into, same as doing any other expensive mods / upgrades.

The OCD board gives LED's a fading on and off effect that they could not do otherwise. On LOTR in particular the effect is outstanding to look at. Yes its not cheap but gives you the main thing that LED's are missing over incandescent bulbs but still with the benefits that LED's bring to a machine. Its also cool how you can control each lamp in the lamp matrix individually for not only how bright they go but also how bright each of the 8 stages from off to brightest they go.

You buy a wee board at about £100 to make the more expensive LEDs look like the cheaper lamps ?

The board allows LEDs to behave in the same way incandescent lamps do so you get the same sweeping and fading lighting effects. A good example is the multiball start in TAF. With lamps you get a nice sweeping fade up the playfield as they come on more gradually but with LEDs it's more blinky as they immediately switch on so you don't get the same fade..this boards fixes that. You kind of need to see it in real life for a full appreciation of it's coolness and it abviously works better on some games than others :)

Not sure i get it.

I was thinking of putting some LEDs into my DE Star Wars or maybe Star Trek TNG might have to rethink or at least do some research now

The benefit of LEDs being no more warped plastics and inserts, no more buggered back glasses and less power consumed so less strain on boards ect

The benefit of LEDs being no more warped plastics and inserts, no more buggered back glasses and less power consumed so less strain on boards ect
There's more colours available than normal lamps (that I have seen anyway) and also more options available for how bright you want them to be

Isn't this fading effect what @Nedreud is currently investigating adding cheap cap's across the LEDs?

Not sure i get it. You buy a wee board at about £100 to make the more expensive LEDs look like the cheaper lamps ?
+1

the only LEDs I ever liked are the non-ghosty ones from ?Comet - and even then they don't really do anything different to some good old fashioned 44 or 47s - though I'd accept that they can be lovely and bright which may be what works on a newer title. But the point Rudi makes about less heat and less power is kinda irrelevant for us home users in my opinion - do any of us keep our games on for 100h a week, like they used to in the arcades? No.

Back
Top Bottom