What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Plasterers grrrrrrrrrrr

M4carp

Site Supporter
Alias
Lostcause
Why can’t plasters plaster properly?
Had a plasterer in Swindon skim a detached 3 bed house for a good price and glass flat finish, never bigged himself up - great job. A builder here in Wales did a stud partition and 2 ceilings ok good finish.
2 different plasters here in wales on 2 different jobs with grit in plaster, marks and nowhere near flat finish even on new plasterboard for good money. Both bigging themself up blah blah blah
Latest is my new games room and I told him to come back and sort it, that will be interesting. TBC.
Rant over for now.

Right now many tradesmen favour large building sites as they can get many weeks or months of work at a time.

I really struggled to get a plasterer last year. My two previous plasterers were booked up months ahead. I then hit the yellow pages and sought recommendations from folk on the village. I really struggled to find anyone to do about a week of work. When I did appoint one, he walked off the job after 4 days as there was a better offer from a Southern Housing estate.

One of my jobs was a £10k job, a few weeks work that took longer because of no shows. My gamesroom about 90m2 of plastering he did in a day with a labourer and cost £720!
I don’t mind paying but I want a decent job because I know what I’m looking at, they must get away with it all the time.

I'm a bricklayer myself and my problem just now is getting another decent brickie to give me a hand with some of my larger private jobs as they all want to work on the sites for a longer contract and the money is to good just now and even the fall back rate is £25 an hour on some sites up here so they aren't interested in a couple of weeks work here and there so you end up getting left with the ones that aren't up to scratch which isn't worth the hassle.

Plasterer I had would not do rounded corners or recessed corners.
I live in an Edwardian house and the old plastering is above the standard we have today.
I regret skimming it now.

Back
Top Bottom