What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOLVED: DESW - Pinsound - Stormtrooper Shootout

Andy B

Site Supporter
Update 2/3/2024 - Sorted it now. That was a lot harder than I thought it should be!

How I swapped out the new sfx and voice call outs associated with the Stormtrooper shootout feature in the new OST_2 sound package for the original 1992 sound package versions (in case anyone wants to do the same in the future). Although the OST_2 package is awesome, in my opinion having the original sfx and call outs for Stormtrooper Shootout is better as it is easier to hear when the feature kicks in and when you have to jump on the fire button to shoot the stormtroopers:

Build up sound (when I hear this I know the feature is kicking in) = From the OST_2 sound package swap out the files in the "1076121238_drums_non_stop" folder which is in the "sfx folder" for the file in the "1493689901_drums_non_stop" folder in the "sfx" folder in the original 1992 sound package

"Watch your back Luke" (this is the last point at which you can shoot the stormtroopers = From the OST_2 sound package swap out the files in the "0053432894_watch_your_back_luke" folder in the "Voice" folder for the file in "4218067690_watch_your_back_luke" folder in the "voice" folder in the original 1992 sound package

"Bravo" (call out if you shoot the stormtroopers before they shoot you) = From the OST_2 sound package swap out the files in the "1252721073_C3PO_bravo" folder in the "Voice" folder for the file in "2824027655_bravo" folder in the "voice" folder in the original 1992 sound package

Whilst I was doing this I also noticed that the "Freeze" callout for the ball save has a number of different options in the OST_2 sound package, none of which included the word "Freeze". I wasn't happy with that either so swapped out the files in the two folders with "Freeze" in the title in the "voice" folder in the OST_2 sound package (sorry I forgot to write down the names!) for the file in the "2995399631-freeze" folder in the "voice" folder in the original 1992 sound package

I kept the OST_2 folder on the thumb drive and saved the edited one with a new name and kept them both on the thumb drive in case the new one caused issues (it hasn't to date). I also created and installed a "preview".ogg file in to the folder for the new package so now when switching between packages I can tell when I've switched to this newly edited and preferred package (note: I could not get this preview feature to work with the 21.02.2 firmware that was in the board so had to install the latest version (which at the time of this post is 24.02.08)),

My work here is done. Though it's still bothering the hell out of me what the numbers are at the start of each folder name - I was sure these were the instruction numbers called up by the rom but they're clearly not as there are different numbers in the different packages.

Original Issue:

In the OST 2 package I cannot hear the Stormtroopers approaching when the Stormtrooper Shootout feature kicks in (when the Stormtroopers appear on DMD and you have to shoot them with the fire button). With the original sound package there’s a distinctive build up of sound with a call out of “Watch Your Back Luke”.

I’m missing the Stormtroopers approaching with the OST 2 package and only manage to shoot them if I’m looking up at the DMD when they appear.

So I want to try and find the offending music/jingle/call out in OST 2 and replace with music/jingle/call out from original. I can’t find it anywhere in OST 2.

I thought the numbers at the start of the folder name in Pinsound packages could not be changed as this was the number used as an instruction from the original game rom to sound roms but OST 2 has lots of folders with leading numbers totally different from the original sound.

Anyone know which folder has the Stormtrooper Shootout sound in please in OST 2 so I can swap back to original?

Also can someone confirm or deny that the numbers of the folders are the ones used by the game roms to address the sound rom?

Thanks

Andy

Last edited:
I think you can insert a file alongside the sample called "gain.txt" which will make that particular sound louder..... Cant be sure though...

Edit : "Pinsound will create a text file called "gain" that contains a number to adjust all the sound files in that specific folder. So if you want a specific sound to be louder, and it is the only file in that folder, the "gain" text file will just have "20" or some other volume that you can set in Pinsound Studios or manually create in the folder. If you have several files in a folder, the gain will be applied universally. Also, you can set it in folders, such as "voice" "sfx" "jingle" or "music" and all the files in those underlying folders will be set with said gain setting."

Thanks Paul. I have to find the sound first. Whereas the original sound package has folders containing just one sound, OST 2 has multiple sounds in same folder - so it plays a random one each time.

Worst case I guess I can just go through each folder and see if I can find one of the sounds in OST 2 associated with Stormtrooper Shootout and that should give me the folder I need to delete contents of and replace with original sounds. I just hope that the sounds in that folder are not used elsewhere in the game.

I think you can insert a file alongside the sample called "gain.txt" which will make that particular sound louder..... Cant be sure though...

Edit : "Pinsound will create a text file called "gain" that contains a number to adjust all the sound files in that specific folder. So if you want a specific sound to be louder, and it is the only file in that folder, the "gain" text file will just have "20" or some other volume that you can set in Pinsound Studios or manually create in the folder. If you have several files in a folder, the gain will be applied universally. Also, you can set it in folders, such as "voice" "sfx" "jingle" or "music" and all the files in those underlying folders will be set with said gain setting."
Cheers! That’ll probably do the trick once I find the correct folder.

Update 30/2/2024 - Didn't work - there are no "Gain" text files in any of the folders.

Last night I tried:

I deleted all the different mixes off the flash drive (there were 4) except the original DE one and the OST_2 orchestrated one that was being used in the machine when I got it (awesome mix, best I've hard on a DESW, particularly with the volume cranked up).

I then took the OST_2 package. Made a copy. Went in to the "Watch you back Luke" folder and deleted the 15 or so call outs that were in there and copied across the single "Watch your back Luke" call out from the original DE sound package. Saved this new package with a new name.

Updated the Pinsound board by deleting the cache text file from the thumb drive and plugging it back in - that causes the board to update the music.

Did the turn the volume down to zero and back up twice thing to switch between different packages.

Tried both of the orchestration packages (one which I thought would have the multiple "Watch your back" call outs and the one that just had the single "Watch your back call out in the folder").

No difference i.e. same random call outs for Stormtrooper Shootout on both orchestrated packages.

So either that's the wrong folder (but I have played the original sound package and that definitely says "Watch your back Luke" on Stormtrooper Challenge) or more likely the update hasn't worked properly. I was trying all that nonsense for a couple of hours last night and got so fed up I just reverted back to OST_2 and played the damned thing again - missing lots of Stormtrooper Shooutouts because of the different callouts (which actually seem quieter than the music so it's even harder!).

One thing I did manage to do is you can install your own boot up tune so now when you switch the machine on it plays the 20th Century Fox theme tune. However that highlighted another frustration - support page for Pinsound says you can install your own preview file for each sound package to be able to differentiate between all the ones you have on your stick (especially useful I thought since as I have two orchestrated mixes on the stick now) but that didn't work either when I saved a preview track to the updated OST_2 package :-(

I have messaged the guy that made OST_2 but as it was made over 2 years ago I'm not expecting a response.

I am going to have another go tonight because it's really spoiling that element of the game for me - and I wonder why anyone would want to change it in the first place.

Andy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom