What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soldering iron recommendation

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Hey gang

I’m in the market for a new one.
My current one was a Maplin special. It’s temp controlled and seems ok but when it comes to soldering those fat wires on to coils it just doesn’t cut the mustard.
It seemingly can’t get hot enough. It’s a nightmare and takes ages to get those wires on the lugs.

Is there hack for this I’m missing or is my iron not up to the job?

Any advice welcome
Cheers
Gaz

Yeah it can't heat the lug enough. Should take only a second to melt. Guess it's probably only 20 or 30W. Or if it's one of those yellow ones maybe less.

I've just bought a gas iron actually and it's amazing for pinball work. "Iroda" brand, good build quality, feels safe. Amazon about £48. Just checked again it was the £60 one

Last edited:
a £11 silverline 100w soldering iron is an amazing beast for doing coil lugs and other large solder joints. it does it in seconds, but be quick otherwise you start melting plastic too.

Thanks all. I actually have a gas one which is fine if there’s nothing else in the immediate vicinity but it needs a fair bit of space round it.

Thanks Alan. That’s a good solution. Temp range is 500-550. My one tops out at 400. Just get that one and use it for the coils, keep my other one for boards and less cumbersome work.
500°C is way too hot. Solder melts around 300, at the higher temps you're just going to damage stuff. If the iron is struggling it's due to lack of power, not temp. This is a common misconception btw.

I've long been tempted to get a TS100 for working under the playfield. Power it from some old RC lipos, no need to drag my soldering station across the room. For a bench iron I would recommend a known brand such as Weller.

500°C is way too hot. Solder melts around 300, at the higher temps you're just going to damage stuff. If the iron is struggling it's due to lack of power, not temp. This is a common misconception btw.

I've long been tempted to get a TS100 for working under the playfield. Power it from some old RC lipos, no need to drag my soldering station across the room. For a bench iron I would recommend a known brand such as Weller.
it’s the fat wires can’t melt the solder. I wouldn’t use it for board work. I’m just having real trouble soldering coil wires on with what I’ve got

I can't believe how tight you all are !
We spend huge amounts of cash on pinballs, £500 plus on a colour display and you only want to spend £11 on a soldering iron :)
Get a Weller £167 you can leave it on all day and won't burn the tips out like the cheap stuff.

Screenshot_20230719_170606_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
Guys. I’ve got a soldering iron. It just doesn’t cut the mustard on coil wires. I ain’t gonna use that road drill £10 job to desolder an asic chip 🤣

Have I got crossed wires, so your iron is getting hot then ! The link I put up was a replacement iron for this type IMG_1339.jpeg
Are you using a thin tip for coil wires or a big tip
Do you need to replace the tip , if it is knackered it needs replacing !

Have I got crossed wires, so your iron is getting hot then ! The link I put up was a replacement iron for this type View attachment 225404
Are you using a thin tip for coil wires or a big tip
Do you need to replace the tip , if it is knackered it needs replacing !
The tip is fine. You’re right I probably need a fatter tip for the coil wires. I’ll see how I go with the morphy Richard’s steam iron tip flame thrower road drill shovel.
Thanks all

I believe the theory is the iron doesn't maintain its heat to melt the solder as the heat is dissipated quicker on a large area, than the iron can maintain the heat .
So hotter isn't better, more power to keep the heat?
😄

I can't believe how tight you all are !
We spend huge amounts of cash on pinballs, £500 plus on a colour display and you only want to spend £11 on a soldering iron :)
Get a Weller £167 you can leave it on all day and won't burn the tips out like the cheap stuff.

£11 one is just for large lugs and large earth connections. eg those large screw tabs on bayonet lamp holders that you need to solder an earth braid to. it does those beautifully.

I’ve been using a Hakko FX-888D
for a a few years now. It’s easily the best soldering iron I’ve owned as it can do board work as well as large coil lugs.

Has an adjustable digital temperature control with a temperature range of 50°C to 480°C so you can adjust the heat to suit whatever your working on.

I’m with Ant-H on this. Got the Hakko 888d probably because I’ve watch too many American YouTube videos, but I must say it’s a great soldering iron and had zero problems.

I’m with Ant-H on this. Got the Hakko 888d probably because I’ve watch too many American YouTube videos, but I must say it’s a great soldering iron and had zero problems.
I think that’s also the reason I got one 😂. In nearly all the Arcade restoration videos I used to watch, they always seemed to have a Hakko.

Also before getting one, I couldn’t solder for ****, I was truly awful. It made a massive difference being able to control the temperature.

Well I didn't think I wanted/needed a new soldering iron but I've put all these on my Amazon wish list. Might even buy a little soldering project to practice on.

I have got a soldering iron but have realised after watching a few videos that tinning, flux, tip cleaner etc. are all important and explain why my previous soldering attempts didn't go well and put me off using it.

TS100 + power tool battery

This set up has been great for me. If you already have the battery it isn't that expensive and means you can solder anywhere.

IMG_6681.jpeg

Well I didn't think I wanted/needed a new soldering iron but I've put all these on my Amazon wish list. Might even buy a little soldering project to practice on.

I have got a soldering iron but have realised after watching a few videos that tinning, flux, tip cleaner etc. are all important and explain why my previous soldering attempts didn't go well and put me off using it.
Well I went ahead and ordered a few bits - TS101 soldering iron, digital clock project and a few other bits. I realised as soon as I started I'd need some 'helping hands' with a magnifying glass as I couldn't see a damn thing without 🤓.

Finished result...it actually works! It's given me confidence that if I need to solder something simple in future I won't be put off.
IMG_20230806_180839.jpg
IMG_20230730_123959.jpg
IMG_20230806_180908.jpgIMG_20230806_180938.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Atten AT-938D Soldering station at a bargain £63 ebay. They usually sell for over £70.

This is exactly the same model as the Maplin precision gold A55KJ which I also have. I now have both as I use a fine tip and a wide tip both at same time, so a lot easier to just have two going, rather than forever swapping tips.

PS tips are cheap and readily available

Spare soldering irons are also available for under £5 delivered from aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32822594204.html

Well, this is a well timed post, having just received a new one!!

Previously using a Hakko fx-888d - was getting frustrated with warmup times plus wanted something with more versatility.

Shopping about and came accross some nice new toys, so ordered one (from Aliexpress obviously!)...

1706107015838.png

Picked up a bunch of T245 tips, plus a T12 handle and bunch of T12 tips to go with it.

Alongside this, also picked up a Tip Thermometer to allow me to calibrate it properly.

Historically there were issues with these... however most seem to have been sorted by firmware updates (who would have thought it - Firmware updates on a soldering iron!)...
200W, so well overpowered, however it has a LOT of oomph behind it to allow soldering to groundplanes etc...

Anyhow, very satisfied and would recommend (only a week in, however it has had a reasonable amount of use in that time!).

Back
Top Bottom