What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sling Shot Plastic Protectors

RudeDogg1

Registered
Anyone know where I can get these in the uk you know the ones the size of the plastic? One of mines broken from the air balls from b4 I replace the standups

I've not found anywhere as yet Rudi. Marcos stock a couple of kits for my R&B but they're pretty pricey and the shipping + potential taxes is a bit of a killer for me.

Tempted to give fender washers a try and see how I get on with those.

I've not found anywhere as yet Rudi. Marcos stock a couple of kits for my R&B but they're pretty pricey and the shipping + potential taxes is a bit of a killer for me.

Tempted to give fender washers a try and see how I get on with those.

Onestoppinball can get them from the us was just seeing if there was any in the uk first

You don't need the full plastic protector. Just use the PETG washers under the top and bottom corners and that will protect the vulnerable parts. The common break is the bottom corner caused by strikes from the opposite flipper as it bounces up off the star post.

Yeah speak to Dave at pinballdaze, you could have asked when at SWL.... he'd probably have had some with him...! :rolleyes:

the washers do a job but the full protector looks heaps better,IMHO.
http://www.pinballdecals.com/PDIPlasticProtectorsPage.html
You can buy a 50x50cm (~20x20") square sheet of the same material the PDI Plastic Protectors are made of (VIVAK PETG) on eBay for around £10 delivered (cheaper if 2mm is what you'd prefer). Imagine how many protectors you could cut out of a sheet that big!

Current listings (25th October 2013):

3mm CLEAR PETG 500 x 500mm Co-Polyester Plastic Sheet FDA Approved
£6.30 + £5.50 P&P

2mm CLEAR PETG 500 x 500mm Co-Polyester Plastic Sheet FDA Approved
£4.27 + £5.50 P&P

I've just bought some of that material but at 1.5mm thick. I'm planning on using it to make some repro plastics that I can't buy any more (shooter cover for my R&B is one of them).

I've just bought some of that material but at 1.5mm thick. I'm planning on using it to make some repro plastics that I can't buy any more (shooter cover for my R&B is one of them).
Ooh, interesting! I'm lucky that other than a little warping (which I can flatten out in the oven) the plastics on my project Paragon are in great shape. Out of curiosity, how are you going to print on your plastics?

I spoke to Poibug (TYHO on here) and he suggested a method.

Basically i've got some of this stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130740044923?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'll reverse my image and then print it onto the clear vinyl. Then i'll adhere it to the back of the lexan before spraying the back of it white using plasticote paint. The effect should create a plastic which is pretty much identical to the original. I'm figuring the hard part will be getting the colour match on the printed vinyl so i'll most likely repeat that process until it's as close as possible to the original.

I have a colour laser I could use but i'm not sure about the availability of clear vinyl which would withstand the heat involved.

A lot of inkjet inks now include additives to reduce fade so I guess we'll see how it goes. For the sake of what it cost for the materials I might well give it a try. If they don't look great or they fade over time then I can look at other options.

I'm the same - would be good to find something that will work in a colour laser with the same results.....

Sounds cool - What ya recon - transparent Gloss or Matt?? Dont forget to reverse print it... /suck eggs mode off ;)

I don't think matt or gloss would make much odds because you actually mount it on the bottom of the lexan anyway. So actually it's the shine from the lexan which you'll get and not the underlying vinyl.

Tempted to have a go with matt, although I think the inkjet vinyl I got was gloss.

Will be sure to post pictures when i've made a few samples. :D

I'm curious about this? How do you stick the vinyl to the underside of the Lexan? I understand the vinyl is self-adhesive and it's clear and you're going to print the image mirrored but won't it look odd because it'll still be stuck on the underside of the Lexan upside-down? Or do image printed on clear look the same from either side?

Well as the original plastics are screen printed on the back side then the effect is (so far as I understand) pretty much the same as you'd get on an original plastic.

Back
Top Bottom