What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Site Visit to Brew Dog in Manchester...

DrPinball

Registered
A couple of weeks ago I was walking through Manchester and I noticed a bar with a pin - the bar is called Brew Dog (http://www.brewdog.com/bars/manchester) and the pin is Judge Dredd. Anyway, I popped in for a quick game and a cheeky half - the beer was lovely, but the pin needed attention. Trough optos playing up and 2 balls stuck on a ramp.

I spoke with the manager and said I'd be happy to have a look at the pin seeing as I collected and restored them - he agreed and suggested I come back as soon as possible.

Anyway, I went up today and this is the report from the site visit!

Inspection found the following issues:

1. Power on errors:

Switch 68 - Captive ball 3. Fixed by activating the switch, probably never gets hit.

Switch 75 - Top right ramp exit. Balls were stuck on the ramp before the switch.

Switch 82 - Trough 5. Resistor damage on sender board.

Switch 83 - Trough 4. Resistor damage on sender board.

2. Screen missing 1 row and 1 column.

3. Reset on both flippers - maybe not a big issue, I'll check with the manager later.

4. Flippers a bit wobbly, particularly the rods in the solenoids. No action taken as not that bad and needs a flipper rebuild.

5. Top right kick out continually firing - opto switch dirty. Cleaned with a QTip and all now okay.

6. Machine only had 3 balls in it! Added 3 extra ones.

7. Ball catching on the middle ramp just before it lands on the wireform. I added some shim washers onto the top ramp to lift it clear, balls run freely now.

8. Missing coin box - coins all over the inside of the cabinet! I nearly took a spare box with me, but decided not to when I was packing my tools, doh!

9. Trough opto board has incorrect resistors. Seems that someone has replaced 2 of the resistors with 2.7k ohm instead of 270 ohm - what's a few a hundred ohms between friends and LEDs! However, the optos seemed to be working.

I used the camera on my phone to verify the issues with the opto LEDs. I had to add some solder to a couple of the broken resistors. This is only a temporary fix - a new sender board is needed really. Shot of opto sender board...

[attachment=985:IMAG0214.jpg]

Anyway, I left it with no start up errors and it seemed to be playing okay. Get yourselves down there for a pint and a game - tell them Dr Pinball sent you. Cheers.

[attachment=986:IMAG0215.jpg]

[attachment=987:IMAG0216.jpg]

DrPinball to the rescue. Good work and good of you to help, will you be getting free credits in future?
wink-1.png

The cab on that JD looks in great nick, no fading by the looks of it
smile-1.png
Did the manager say where its from...I'm assuming the bar own it seeing as they let you work on it, rather than it being from an op.

Yep, they own it, not sure where it's from though. Shame there's no topper, but cab was nice.

DrPinball' date=' post: 1695336 said:
A couple of weeks ago I was walking through Manchester and I noticed a bar with a pin - the bar is called Brew Dog (http://www.brewdog.com/bars/manchester) and the pin is Judge Dredd. Anyway, I popped in for a quick game and a cheeky half - the beer was lovely, but the pin needed attention. Trough optos playing up and 2 balls stuck on a ramp.

I spoke with the manager and said I'd be happy to have a look at the pin seeing as I collected and restored them - he agreed and suggested I come back as soon as possible.

Anyway, I went up today and this is the report from the site visit!

Inspection found the following issues:

1. Power on errors:

Switch 68 - Captive ball 3. Fixed by activating the switch, probably never gets hit.

Switch 75 - Top right ramp exit. Balls were stuck on the ramp before the switch.

Switch 82 - Trough 5. Resistor damage on sender board.

Switch 83 - Trough 4. Resistor damage on sender board.

2. Screen missing 1 row and 1 column.

3. Reset on both flippers - maybe not a big issue, I'll check with the manager later.

4. Flippers a bit wobbly, particularly the rods in the solenoids. No action taken as not that bad and needs a flipper rebuild.

5. Top right kick out continually firing - opto switch dirty. Cleaned with a QTip and all now okay.

6. Machine only had 3 balls in it! Added 3 extra ones.

7. Ball catching on the middle ramp just before it lands on the wireform. I added some shim washers onto the top ramp to lift it clear, balls run freely now.

8. Missing coin box - coins all over the inside of the cabinet! I nearly took a spare box with me, but decided not to when I was packing my tools, doh!

9. Trough opto board has incorrect resistors. Seems that someone has replaced 2 of the resistors with 2.7k ohm instead of 270 ohm - what's a few a hundred ohms between friends and LEDs! However, the optos seemed to be working.

I used the camera on my phone to verify the issues with the opto LEDs. I had to add some solder to a couple of the broken resistors. This is only a temporary fix - a new sender board is needed really. Shot of opto sender board...

View attachment 1156

Anyway, I left it with no start up errors and it seemed to be playing okay. Get yourselves down there for a pint and a game - tell them Dr Pinball sent you. Cheers.

View attachment 1157

View attachment 1158

Nice one-I tip my(yellow)hat to you:)

Or as Ive would say,"good work soldier"

Got a call from the manager again saying the machine was playing up... everything was now in French and the left flippers not working!

Went up today and found...

1. French settings - the DIP switches on the CPU board set as French, reset to European and now all in English. However, the problem was probably caused by the battery failing so I wanted to change them. Unfortunately the previous owner had removed the battery holder from the board and soldered in a battery directly...

[attachment=1009:IMAG0219.jpg]

So, new battery holder required before new batteries go in.

2. Flippers not working. 3 fuses blown on the fliptronic board. Checked each flipper coil and found the top left one was very low resistance. The flipper wouldn't move due to the coil overheating and melting the coil sleeve.

New coil and sleeve needed, along with replacement fuses. Not sure why 3 fuses went when only one flipper coil had failed... any ideas?

3. Also found that...

No back box wing bolts and the back catch wasn't closed! A near miss I think, especially in a pub!

No back box key, but the screws were really loose so I unscrewed them with my fingers and extracted the lock.

So, the machine is dead for the time being - I got to write my first 'Out of Order' sign and now need to quote for parts and get them fitted next week.

Cheers

David.

Good work but a shame it can't all be fixed today.

I can re-key the back box lock but only to a suitable key and I might have to reduce it's security by removing some teeth. Find a key that will slide in and I will give it a go or tell you how it's done.

My back box lock wouldn't close either, I had to loosen all the bolts do it up and then tighten them.

Your not thinking like an operator, run it with only two flippers, the third is a luxury.
wink-1.png

You're right, I should've left them running with 1 less flipper, that's the collector in me... if it's not all working then nobody's allowed to play!

Back
Top Bottom