What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Site News

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Hi all,

Just a little site news for you all to keep you updated on what happens behind the scenes.
We have been with our host (Initially a company called Vidahost, now been brought out by TSOHost/Bigdaddy) for over 5 years, and it is renewal time. Comes about every year, and gives us a chance to make sure we are getting good value for money.
As per usual i have done a bit of digging about, since costs aren't cheap for the type of hosting we have... There are a few options from big Bucks companies which roll in cheaper, however reviews aren't great, and i'm a big believer in you get what you pay for in the hosting world.

So... having weighed up all the options, We are moving host!

We are moving to a smaller company known as "speedydot". It just so happens (and i didnt realise initially!) that this company is run by two of the same team that created Vidahost - the company that were hosting us for the last 5 years before TSO took over.
Price is slightly cheaper. Support and server is better. Win-Win.

Will mean a little downtime, and also as we are moving then the DNS's for the new site will need to propagate... Will advise everyone in due course of this work.

Thats the first change of 2019.... more to come... watch this space :)

Cheers
Paul

Just a new update - Looking for the move to take place sometime over the next 24-48 hours. it is likely that you will loose access/visibility to the site for a short period of time (up to 24 hours) when the move in in progress.

Will update as to timings once i have coordinated these with our new host :)

Many thanks
Paul

No Pinballinfo for 24 hours o_O What if there is important Popeye news !?!

Dont...!!! I will be making backups overnight tonight.. As these things are fraught with potential issues... New hosts are REALLY good and in fact are looking to do most of the migration for me, however there is always that chance of things just not working, or specific config issues. On the upside, Dom who knows his beans and whom i have worked with before is handling the migration, so i have good faith things will go ok... however as with all things..... ?

Ok so the move is completed. Things seem happy, and as far as i can tell all functionality is present.

It will take a while for some of the stuff to work its way through the network... so if you have been delayed in returning then many apologies.

Any issues, please note them here :)

Next on the list will be to add https: functionality to the site, and to sort out and hopefully improve some stuff around the classified sales on here....

Plenty to be getting on with :)

Site seems faster to me since update

The site seems fine, email notifications all seem to go to spam box now though I can only presume that Gmail is blacklisting the IP perhaps? Not sure how to resolve.

Google spam is clever at being a dumb ****.
You need to show it that the mail is not spam by telling it anumber of times.
Select the left box of the email and then select Not Spam
You have to do it a number of time for it to learn it's not spam.
Other than that its the domain its coming from that google does not like.

Ok so after a few hours of digging, think the mail issues are sorted... Apologies to those that might have had a bit of an influx of mail earlier!!

Havent seen any Mail errors for a good few hours now.. Probably still getting mails in the spam box.. working on that!! :)

My e-mail notifications are still getting caught in my ‘Junk’ folder. Using Hotmail.

I have added the address to safe list multiple times, but it’s still going in Junk. Anything you can do your end?

Cheers!

My e-mail notifications are still getting caught in my ‘Junk’ folder. Using Hotmail.

I have added the address to safe list multiple times, but it’s still going in Junk. Anything you can do your end?

Cheers!

Thats hotmail/Microsoft for you!!

Try this... not sure if it will work, however some have had success :

1. Sign in to the Hotmail/Outlook.com.

2. In the upper-right corner of the page, click Options, and then click More options.

3. Under Preventing junk email, click Filters and reporting.

4. Under Filters and reporting, select the options Exclusive*, and then click Save.

If that doesnt work, try setting the reporting option to Standard

• With Standard, some junk email might make it to your inbox. You’ll need to manually mark it as junk.
  • With Exclusive, some legitimate mail will probably end up in your Junk folder. You’ll need to check the folder periodically

Am still working on whitelisting with Microsoft at present.... (hotmail/outlook)...

also working on Gmail...

Since latest iOS update any non HTTPS site is flagged as "Not Secure". Chrome has been doing this for a while and I think Firefox too.

Let's Encrypt SSL certificates are free, there's pretty much no excuse not to use them now.

Thoughts @James ?

Attachments

• 8570C01A-0217-4B47-92B5-9B723C36174C.png
    8570C01A-0217-4B47-92B5-9B723C36174C.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 16
I have a free SSL cert anyhow with the site, and can switch that on anytime.

HOWEVER

I have a LOT of backend work to make this take place.... Will look into it over the weekend and try to work out how to do it and how long it will take.

Interestingly, i dont get this on Safari :D

Back
Top Bottom