What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple electronics advice

insx

Registered
Alias
Tim S
Hi Folks

I'm handy with a soldering iron but have very litte idea about electronics. I have a device that powers off if a button isn't pressed within something like 30 seconds but I want to keep it alive automatically. Could someone please help me with a simple circuit that would activate a switch every second, five seconds, whatever? I have already established that just holding the button will not work. Someone suggested I do this with an arduino (which I have) but I would've thought that was overkill.

Cheers

If there's really no better way of keeping the circuit alive, and you truly need to pulse a button every so often to do it - then yes, an Arduino for the job is swatting a fly with a bazooka.

Most robust, cheapest, all-round best way of doing this - make a little 555 timer circuit. You'll get it done in less than a quid worth of parts, and it'll give you something to think about as to how you wire it up. Loadsa fun, practical, a good tutorial, what's not to love.

http://www.circuitbasics.com/555-timer-basics-astable-mode/

Thanks, I'll check it out. I got as far as thinking that a 555 would have something to do with it but that was about it.

A £1.99 arduino clone will do the trick. Easier than hooking up an NE555 chip.
Not everything worth doing is easy ;) If there's an interest in learning electronics, then the 555 is going to teach a little more than just slapping a microprocessor onto the problem.
Of course if one is more interested in just getting a job done or you're beyond being able to learn anything from making a simple circuit then you do what is most efficient.

Back
Top Bottom