What's new

Side Rail Removal Hints!

Solar Sailer

Site Supporter
Going to powder coat my side rails but they are stuck on really well. I did see on you tube they use double sided tape. And advice or hints on getting them off. It they are a problem then I will buy new ones to coat.

TIA

Don't force them. A hairdrier to help soften the adhesive will help, use a plastic spreader to open the gap when the glue on the tape is warm.

Just be really careful if using a hot air device .
I buggered up part of the decal doing that.
I now tend to rip the older ones off with a spreader and just cough up for a new set of siderails.

Just be really careful if using a hot air device .
I buggered up part of the decal doing that.
I now tend to rip the older ones off with a spreader and just cough up for a new set of siderails.

Yeah, I'm allocating £60 for a new set just in case!

Hints here:

Using a hairdryer instead of a heat gun is the way to go, just enough to warm and soften it. It's too easy to slip with a spreader and scratch / rip paint and decals. I got on OK with mine which was a Data East. (A nylon type scraper like this is ideal)

Last edited:
Going to powder coat my side rails but they are stuck on really well. I did see on you tube they use double sided tape. And advice or hints on getting them off. It they are a problem then I will buy new ones to coat.

TIA
Answer depends on how much you want to preserve the side decals. Assuming they are perfect, just use a hairdryer to warm the tape and take a putty knife (ideally tapered) and push it at a 45 degree angle underneath the side rail, pushing it to an upright position as you push it under. Pull it out and repeat the process a little further along until the point where the rail starts to come off. I'd recommend not pulling the rail off even when it gets to this point as any remaining tape might peel off the decal with it as you remove it.

When I did mine I put tape along the bottom of the side rail to protect against slips with the knife, and also a microfibre towel below that to protect against the handle of the putty knife possibly marking the decal too, but that bit is probably overkill.

IMG_2533.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom