What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shininess of ramp flaps on AFM…

VeeMonroe

Registered
I removed the ramps from AFM to clean the playfield/add new rubbers/LEDs, and decided to clean the corrosion on the flaps with a Dremel polishing tool. It seems to have discoloured the ramp, and metal polish hasn’t helped.

Have I taken off the chrome somehow? And is there any way to fix it?

NON-DREMMELLED RAMP

AF33CD6B-1937-433D-AB57-3559A30036A7.jpeg

DREMELLED RAMP

9E9CD55A-3276-4757-9D9F-1766C02C777E.jpeg

Yes, the flaps are blued steel which is a very thin layer. Options: Polish proper (rust may be an issue depending on your indoor climate) / reblue (look for gunshops) / buy new ones.

just did some flaps on dirty harry.

Polish em up then re-blued, come out lovely.

If you want to keep the rivets silver then make sure you dont get the blueing liquid on them otherwise they will turn bronze,

Allot easier to do that then having to remove and re revit new flaps on if you dont have all the gear.

Also if you do decide to buy new and go for stainless steel then bare in mind you cant blue stainless.

I once tried reblueing an Airgun I had way back and it came out a right mess. My advice just leave and enjoy the game for what it is as there are somethings just best left alone.

This is the stuff I used....

At less than a tenner its worth having on hand for sprucing up old games, I found it hard to get a uniform colouring, best way was to ignore the instructions and apply a small amount very quickly with a cloth, polish the darker areas to remove a bit and then repeat, results were acceptable, better than before, but not like new.

Back
Top Bottom