What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sega starwars trilogy

Simon barker

Registered
Hi all,just finished restoring a starwars trilogy and everything works in test mode.The game plays very well but I want to know if it's working correctly.sometimes the x fighter will turn with no ball loaded and sometimes it loads the ball but 2 middle targets are not down.other times the diverter solenoid holds the ball to long and misses the x fighter and then sometimes it works spot on,can anyone veryfy if this is normal.thanks

Sounds like the switch /switches which tells the x-fighter to move needs adjusting ?

Last edited:
Switches all work,it only has one that stops it in home position.i would have thought a switch would be mounted inside near solenoid so it knows the ball is in.seems like a software issue to me,but I've never had one before.but also the 2 middle drop targets need to be down as that's what you aim at.but they reset so the x fighter knocks them down then you need to load again to get through the gap.but as far as I know this could be normal.

SWT has inductive switches. I'm sure there's 2 for the gun. They can be problematic and dont believe they are used on many other games if any

There should be a reed switch mounted under the cannon. It’s wiring is prone to fracture as it is repeatedly twisted.

I have cut wires 10mm from switch and rewired it.but it's not clear in switch test to see if it's working or not.im confused with this.the centre 2 drop targets are not always down to aim for.but in test drop targets are ok,as is the cannon,x fighter home switch ok.i cant seem to find one of these x fighter Reed switches in UK.

The reed switch should cleanly switch on and off in the presence/removal of a ball. Just like the ramp switch.

If the wiring is poor clearly it won’t work well. But it can also be affected by its surroundings. I once found a reed switch ghat would activate with a ball present but would not open once removed. I found that a small washer magnetised to the back of the reed switch was enough to alter the magnetic properties of the switch and it released without problem.

Dave Wilcox is your best bet for a reed switch.

Andy

Got my new switches from Dave,and a new magnet core.also replaced some wires that might have been intermittent,so it seems the x fighter now works but the bloody cannon that loads the ramp grabs the ball but releases too early so dont put ball in other ramp.ive tried holding the ball myself and activating cannon by hand and ball goes through easy,so it seems the cannon magnet is releasing too quick,any ideas please,its only recently started doing this and I thought it was a knackered magnet core core doing it.

Hey Simon, I've got a working SWT - if I can help by providing photos or taking video just let me know.

Johnny.

Thanks a lot,I have modded cannon,fixed drop targets and ball shooter bracket,new rubbers,now I'm replacing sw 35 and 36 and fitting new diodes I'm also replacing Q5 on i/o board.The switches show as working but machine is showing these as faulty.ive also fitted new Reed switch to x fighter.so I will report back when I have fitted these.

yes everything works in test.in switch test it appears to be showing some switches that should be closed like ball trough,x wing home etc as a fault,but they should be closed and all work in test.a real head scratcher

Dont think it's simple as no one has come up with possible solution.and I've asked everywhere inc pinball engineers.guess I will have to just keep changing parts till it works

Your probably better of taking it to get repaired to either pinball heaven or pinball mania when all this stuff is over tricky faults are hard to explain in text another thing you could do is film the fault when playing the game and post it then it gives people a better idea on what is exactly wrong

When you say ‘everything works in test’ you seem only to be referring to drop target switches. You haven’t confirmed that in solenoid test each drop target is dropped by its knock down solenoid. In gameplay To prepare the targets, all targets are reset up and then the middle two are knocked down by their own mini solenoids.

Yes,I have cycled through each of the 4 mini drop coils and then reset them about 4 times.works spot on.so does anyone think say Q5 could be at fault.i will remove drop targets and re inspect them.

I had the same issue on a swt I removed the complete drop target assembly stripped cleaned and lubed it and closed the gap on the drop target solenoids and it worked fine after
The thing I don’t understand is the closed switch thing

Not fitted yet but I have stripped and cleaned the drop targets.i did find one green feed wire had come off the first drop target micro switch so I cut fresh cable and resoldered.dont think this is causing my issue though.but never the less it needed doing.also one switches lever was twisted and making target stiff.so with all that sorted,I'm now refitting.

now fitted and also noticed the lower interlock switch on door was not connected,so done that.it now seems to work apart from x wing not firing when you hit the launch switch.in test this fires ok in any position so nearly there I think.any ideas please.

Back
Top Bottom