What's new

Sega large display out

paddythegreek

Site Supporter
Alias
Ken
Just looked at a mates Maverick display which was working before lunch. He went to play it after lunch and no display. I've removed it and there is a burnt shellac smell from the small (T1) transformer on the back of said display but even if you could get a new transformer how do you solder it onto the board.
So $64 dollar question is, what if anything can be done. If it's not repairable (to me its not) where does he go from here. Is there an alternative display etc.
Thanks Ken

They can be soldered from the top, I replaced a shorted regulator and a few diodes on one that was popping fuses

So who has these transformers and as the solder holes are under the trans i think unsoldering/resoldering appears to be a no no.

Is the transformer bad? I'm sure all the traces are on the component side but it was a long time ago I done mine! is it metal or plastic? the transformer I mean

dr pinball i would think best bet
it could be one of many things the reason its dead also i would check the power board too as there may be a fault here its really not worth the time and effort to put in new parts on a display only to find it still doesnt work

The transf has a plastic bobbin and plastic the input/output wires feed through with a metal frame. Its the 600v output that reads faulty.Power into this transf is ok.

The dmd is supplied via a bridge rectifier bolted to the back box, that transformer steps it up not sure it's 600v though! If your lucky enough to find one you would just need to break the old one off or try and get a sharp blade under to cut the legs off

It's the burnt smell that makes me believe its this.Plus the short (low reading). The 600v i got off the schematic.

Attachments

• IMG_8492.JPG
    IMG_8492.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8494.JPG
    IMG_8494.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 25
Update. BR3 in the backbox has 2 blue wires feeding it on the ac side. Book says both should be 9vac. With no load i have 9v on the one that goes through the fuse and 5v on the other one. Measure across the 2 and i get 14v. Unsolder the 5v wire from the BR and its still 5v and 14v across both. The 18v feeds the dmd itself. If the wires come straight off the transformer,have i got a faulty transformer in the cab.
The wires that feed the other 2 BR's in the b/box are ok.

Back
Top Bottom